Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 the two paths towards enlightenment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  03:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The infinite, and... the singularity.

Was wondering if anyone has thoughts\ideas\methods on the subject. The yin yang'ness of the universe, finding the self in the infinte, the infinite in the self.

I know they both lead to the same place, and I've seen suggestions regarding personality types, of either focusing on all in ones surroundings, or on one thing. Was wondering if any of you have practiced mindfulness of such, and what sort of results?

When schizzoness hit me, I did the "focus on all of it" thing for a while. I can't deny, it made for a fair bit of ecstatic conductivity. A bit too much crown activity though... dunno if that had to do with schizzoness or the above technique or spinal breathing with a bit too much emphasis on the "up" breath.

Looking at one thing, anything, with "new eyes" has been highly effective also. I've had a few moments of bliss from "not doing" this heh.

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  1:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
finding the self in the infinite, the infinite in the self

Very nice, I like that statement--but it is, ultimately, only gibberish. Looking at Enlightenment from the outside, yes, it very much appears thus, but this reveals the flawed nature of seeing Duality. It LOOKS and FEELS correct, this idea that the Infinite is withing the Self, and the Self is within the Infinite. But from inside, the truth is so much simpler and direct. In Unity Consciousness (Brahmi Chetna), nothing is in anything else--that implies difference and duality. Unity is just that; everything IS, at its inner core, all the same one thing, undifferentiated, unified both in sense and content. From the Upanishads: 'Tat Tvam Asi' - Thou Art That; 'Aham Brahmasmi' - I am that Supreme Being; 'Prajna-nam Brahman' - Knowledge is Brahman, 'Ayam Atman Brahman' - this Atman in individual self and Brahman as the Supreme Self are one. Also gibberish, but true gibberish rather than false. Or, more accurately, true from the point of view of Unity, but not from the point of view of any state of consciousness less evolved than Unity. Are we sufficiently confused now? Sorry--words say little in the light of direct experience...!
Michael
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  2:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hehe, I see exactly what you're saying, I've known it in Samadhi, I am that already haha. haha, and I can't speak a word of that, as soon as I open my mouth, I am so utterly wrong, but still right in that "I am that already" ;) haha.

I do believe if we go fully into our perception, our awareness (what we deep down know), that going into anything fully will bring about the experience of Samadhi. Wether it's perception of all in our periphery (of course our "main" awareness wanders a bit, but it's like allowing it that space to wander... or something like that. Just taking as much of it in as you can), or allowing those to be more "scenery" and focusing on one object. It's still one pointedness of mind for either of them, just one is more... shall we say, ADD ish? haha

I remember David Hawkins wrote something on the subject. If I can find it, I'll post it up. I know my explanation is a bit messy.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  3:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Divineis for a good question, and thank you Mikkiji for a nice post! Just happened to read this of Ramana Maharshi...

"Q: As the bodies and the selves animating them are everywhere actually observed to be innumerable how can it be said that the Self is only one?

A:If the idea 'I am the body' is accepted, the selves are multiple. The state in which this idea vanishes is the Self, since in that state there are no other objects. It is for this reason that the Self is regarded as one only.

Q: What is the authority for saying that Brahman can be apprehended by the mind and at the same time that it cannot be apprehended by the mind?

A: It cannot be apprehended by the impure mind but can be apprehended by the pure mind.

Q: What is pure mind and what is impure mind?

A: When the indefinable power of Brahman separates itself from Brahman and, in union with the reflection of consciousness (chidabhasa) assumes various forms, it is called the impure mind. When it becomes free from the reflection of consciousness (abhasa), through discrimination, it is called the pure mind. Its state of union with the Brahman is its apprehension of Brahman. The energy which is accompanied by the reflection of consciousness is called the impure mind and its state of separation from Brahman is its non-apprehension of Brahman."

I truly loved the metaphore from another sage presented in another topic (can remember which one): as long as we believe we are separated it's as if one of the characters in a film believes him/herself to only be that single character. When the character is told "You are in an illusion" he/she will believe it is HE or SHE that has to realize the illusory nature of existence. It is so surprisingly mind-boggling when the realization occurs... that... you are in fact NOT the character in the film, but what enables the film to be shown, the screen, the whole setting, the light from the projector, and the whole film itself with all its characters... which exists, but is not for real at all! And it becomes so hilariously clear that there was nobody who really was born or died or was a separated person or was guilty of good or bad things (whatever the STORY is in the film)... It was just appearances... light happenings... momentarily events with a beginning and an end - there for the pure joy of performing a miracle. That shift in perception/knowing/seeing/whatever is NOT able to imagine with a mind in a separated state.

Although it is possible to make the shift and then fall back into separation due to too many impurities in the system...as I have done. And then there can be a wobbling period when deep awakenings are followed by total confusion - separation - unity - separation - unity... and if you happen to speak about such things or any things at all from a state of separation, 'those' who are in Unity around you will immediately point out to you that "You are not in direct experience and unity at the moment" and you will know it yourself, and see that they are right. Direct experience is the only thing that counts.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000