Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 the ego
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  6:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
are we too mean to the "ego" it seems that the ego gets a bad rap and is blamed for being the root of many of our problems. should we be more compasionate towards our ego? If we dont want to meditate we say it is the ego fault. Well maybe the ego is scared it will get lost. what if we consouled and reassured the ego and talked to it nicely rather then trying to just ignore what it is saying. Maybe I have a misunderstanding of the ego as well so my comcpetion of the conception of ego is wrong.
just thoughts
Neil

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  9:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. I think there is a tendancy demonize 'the ego' in certain spiritual cultures. It's never really helpful to demonize anything, but it seems to be in the nature of people (and therefore cultures) to end up demonizing something. In some spiritual culture they demonized.... demons, and 'the devil'. (Good lord, how unimaginative is that, to demonize demons? The demons should have seen that coming, LOL.)

should we be more compasionate towards our ego? If we dont want to meditate we say it is the ego fault. Well maybe the ego is scared it will get lost. what if we consouled and reassured the ego and talked to it nicely rather then trying to just ignore what it is saying.

I suppose so. But even still, I'm not so sure how well-formed the notion of 'the ego' actually is. So, while I do use the word, and the notion, sometimes myself, I'm very wary of it. Why not stop working with 'the ego' as a concept, and instead just be compassionate towards ourselves(Not our ego)? Are we scared we will get lost? What if we reassured ourselves etc.. ... And then kicked our butts when the time came for that. ( I'm serious, there is a place for being compassionate and a place for being severe with yourself.)

Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  03:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Neil

What is the Ego?

Well in my opinion is like a mask that we have, that hinders our true self to step out, I think we must overcome the ego, is not easy, but one can try. All of the places I have been before,(Kundalini) the ego of the gurus were always present, and of the people, they always talked about love, and surrender, but were the first to break the rules. A real surrender to Shakti has no ego, no sides towards anyone
no resentment or hate, or vindictiveness.
I haven't met just one person without ego, but we can at least control it. The ego works very well in the mundane world but not in the spiritual world, and much less in this path (Kundalini)
That's the why I think one should control it, and little by little try to overcome it. A real hard task, but it worths it.

my 2 cents
Neli

quote:
Originally posted by tubeseeker

are we too mean to the "ego" it seems that the ego gets a bad rap and is blamed for being the root of many of our problems. should we be more compasionate towards our ego? If we dont want to meditate we say it is the ego fault. Well maybe the ego is scared it will get lost. what if we consouled and reassured the ego and talked to it nicely rather then trying to just ignore what it is saying. Maybe I have a misunderstanding of the ego as well so my comcpetion of the conception of ego is wrong.
just thoughts
Neil

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000