Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Push me to the right path!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  10:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste' friends
I am kind of worried that I don't get the sort of stillness -of mind- I had experienced in the start of meditation 4 months back. I would be relly grateful if sombody could shed some light on the following.

I have been meditating about an hour or so a day, (in one or two sittings). I am mainly doing third eye meditation sitting in Sukhasana/Siddhasana. Although at times I could get a stillness of mind here and there, it never persisted. I am distracted a lot as I meditate.

Lately I got much interested in Kechari and started preparing for it for nearly two months.
Now I am in a position of taking my tongue behind the uvula with the help of my index finger. This has happened only yesterday though! Now the tip of my tongue doesnt touch anywhere, it only stands erect being full stretched. I tried to touch the surrounding areas with the tip but of no avail. It simply stands and get the cool air from the nostrills direct. I do a bit of Talavya kriya as I have time (even while driving) and also stretch the tongue as I take bath in the morning. Haven't done the frenum snipping as yet.
I haven't been doing sadhanas as it was instructed in AYP. What I mainly do is a bit of Pranayama (very basic) and Anuloma Viloma with the help of fingers. And sit in Siddhasana & look at the third eye internally.
I know my questions are very basic and could easily get answers as to how to proceed, in AYP itself. But would like to have some personal experiences shared in ralation to where I stay in the path!

Thanks a lot for your time!
Namaste'

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  1:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum zenflesh.

The meditation we follow here is mantra meditation, and we do it only for 20min twice a day. You can read the lesson and see if you'd like to try this. If is very effective and powerful. If however you want to stay with your current practice, that too is fine.

The thing to keep in mind is every meditation session is different, and trying to recreate or control or wish for a specific outcome, during a meditation session will not help. The best thing to do is take each session as an individual session. Even if it is very mindy and disturbed, you just continue with your practice and try not to analyze the session. As you continue with meditation, more and more purification will happen, and this may result in sessions that are not peaceful. Your stillness is always there. At times purification will cloud it.. and then the purification will pass and you will feel the stillness again. You are going through a phase, and this too shall pass. Just keep going.

Regarding kechari, if you can move your tongue beyond the uvula, and the tip of your tongue is not touching anything, you may be moving it too far.
See if these posts help you:

quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=4#8056
A hint that can be helpful: The journey from stage 1 to stage 2 kechari (going behind the soft palate) is actually a thrust forward with the tongue as soon as it clears the back edge. Not up, but forward. The easiest place to do that from (shortest distance to get behind) is on the left or right side of the edge of the soft palate. The tongue can roll right in from either side, while going up the middle takes more length.

Also, keep in mind that the soft palate is not a rigid boundary. As soon as we are behind it, it folds down and forward like a natural trap door. It returns to normal position just as naturally when the tongue is removed from the pharynx. So the idea of the entrance being an opening "way back there" is somewhat of an illusion. As soon as the pharynx is penetrated, the opening expands all the way forward to the edge of the hard palate. See cross-sectional images of kechari here: http://www.aypsite.org/kechari_image1.html

Carry on!

The guru is in you.

quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=5#8060
Just to clarify: The tongue doesn't actually "roll" into stage 2 from the side. It goes in on the side and slides to the center behind the soft palate. A push forward can help once the tip of the tongue has made it behind the edge of the soft palate -- that opens the soft palate trap door (it is usually automatic, but pushing forward with the tongue helps it along). No unusual contortions involved beyond just getting there, which you almost have!

Don't forget, finger help is perfectly legal, especially in the beginning.

The guru is in you.

Wish you all the best.

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 02 2008 1:20:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  1:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by zenflesh

Namaste' friends
I am kind of worried that I don't get the sort of stillness -of mind- I had experienced in the start of meditation 4 months back. I would be relly grateful if sombody could shed some light on the following.

I have been meditating about an hour or so a day, (in one or two sittings). I am mainly doing third eye meditation sitting in Sukhasana/Siddhasana. Although at times I could get a stillness of mind here and there, it never persisted. I am distracted a lot as I meditate.

Lately I got much interested in Kechari and started preparing for it for nearly two months.
Now I am in a position of taking my tongue behind the uvula with the help of my index finger. This has happened only yesterday though! Now the tip of my tongue doesnt touch anywhere, it only stands erect being full stretched. I tried to touch the surrounding areas with the tip but of no avail. It simply stands and get the cool air from the nostrills direct. I do a bit of Talavya kriya as I have time (even while driving) and also stretch the tongue as I take bath in the morning. Haven't done the frenum snipping as yet.
I haven't been doing sadhanas as it was instructed in AYP. What I mainly do is a bit of Pranayama (very basic) and Anuloma Viloma with the help of fingers. And sit in Siddhasana & look at the third eye internally.
I know my questions are very basic and could easily get answers as to how to proceed, in AYP itself. But would like to have some personal experiences shared in ralation to where I stay in the path!

Thanks a lot for your time!
Namaste'

namaste to you too my friend, good to have you here.

concerning ketchari i've given a little tip concerning the push via email.

now concerning the witness state, we all have ups and downs but i found that in order to keep the state of witness or rise of inner silence plus ecstatic conductivity going on you got to have a stable routine of practices.

and the lessons here are very organized and simple to do and they give a lot of stability to our spiritual life plus day after day you the states will not only be everlasting but rising up.

you will experience more divine outporing love more ecstacy more stillness than a dip in samadhi now and then :) and there you will be headed automaticaly to the beautiful practice of samyama and from there on it's happiness in helping others....... neverending divine love (heavan on earth yogani names it).

just start reading this book from the begining, it offers all the tools for advancing in a steady way:

http://www.aypsite.org/MainDirectory.html

kindest regards,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  02:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Ananda and Shanti,
Thank you so much for the encouragement and support.
I shall start reading the Yogani series as mentioned by Ananda (although I have read almost all the posts but never did a systematic sadhana as AYP requires). I have posted a reply to Ananda by email.
As to Shanti's advice on meditation I understand I have to be patient with it. When I sat in Siddhasana (with the help of pillows though) this morning, I could keep my tongue past uvula (tip not touching anywhere) for almost 15-20mins. But the breathing was a lil too louder and quicker. Also i had been experiencing a very slight tickling about 10cms above the base of the spine when I do savasana after the meditation.
As to Khechari, its still not very clear as to where to go after taking the tongue past uvula?!! I guess I am pushing a lil too much as you had pointed out. Do I have to bring back -the tip of the tongue- a lil to the dynamic membrane where the uvula is suspended?

But Khechari 3 and 4 require the tongue to go further up right? Do you think my tongue is not long enough to reach any further as of now?
Thanks a lot Shanti and Ananda for your time
Namaste'
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  07:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear zenflesh, i've send you some feed back via email about why i advised the push for more tongue extension and where to put your toungue in the suited place toward bringing more stimulation to the third eye and even in stage 2 there is some powerful energy work going on but you need to have some patience to see it (rome wasn't built in a day), and out of my own experience going stage 3 and 4 is even better but during the practices like pranayamas mudra and bandhas it's best advised to stay in stage 2 let your bhakti lead you from there on.

namaste and you're most welcome, all the best with your practices.

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  11:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

Dear zenflesh, i've send you some feed back via email about why i advised the push for more tongue extension and where to put your toungue in the suited place toward bringing more stimulation to the third eye and even in stage 2 there is some powerful energy work going on but you need to have some patience to see it (rome wasn't built in a day), and out of my own experience going stage 3 and 4 is even better but during the practices like pranayamas mudra and bandhas it's best advised to stay in stage 2 let your bhakti lead you from there on.

namaste and you're most welcome, all the best with your practices.

Ananda

Dear Ananda!
I understand. I shall stay and wait in meditation. Perhaps its my stupid roaring airconditioner that creates problems in enjoying meditation. I use silicon a earplug though. Let me explore more in stage 2 and get back to you a short while later. Meanwhile, its really nice interacting with connoisseurs like you and Shanti
Om mani padme hum!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  06:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear zen just remember concerning deep meditation don't do ketchari unless it's automatic or else this isn't deep meditation plus check this link: http://www.aypsite.org/205.html

in it yogani gives a link to some nice images concerning the practice of ketchari and my advice is still the same take a look at the main lessons it's smooth sailing from there on and a great help in establishing a deep understanding concerning advanced yoga practices.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  06:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
plus this link will be of much help too, it hits the spot in your case concerning ketchari sensations:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=612
Go to Top of Page

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  02:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

plus this link will be of much help too, it hits the spot in your case concerning ketchari sensations:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=612

Thanks Ananda for the directions!
Go to Top of Page

panoramix

Spain
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  11:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit panoramix's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi zenflesh!

Don't practice pranayama on air conditioned, you could die!
I'm kidding...

City outdoor air contains ten times more ions than indoor one. Country air has ten times more than city one and one hundred more than indoor one. It is very important to practice pranayama on a ionized air as it is that prana which we use for cleansing nadis, activating body prana and so on.

Definitely don't use conditioned air for that sake if you can.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  04:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Panoramix!
One has to really live in a country that has temperature soaring up as high as 55 deg celcius during summer in order to know it! This middle east is really a funny place to be! but what to do.. no wonder the prana hesitates to enter into my room let alone into the nadis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000