Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Age starting meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rattan

South Africa
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  08:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, forgive me if this question has been asked and answered. I can however not find something like it here.

A little background. I am 50 years old, male and have developed an interest in Tantra over the last two years or so. Read a ton of books and stuff on the web. It was however only when I discovered Yogani's writtings that things started to really make sence to me. And I have been practising the AYP way since the beginning of this year.

My question. Is there any relation between the age one is when first starting meditation and the speed of progress? My concern is that staring at my age, I would progress much slower than someone starting 20 years earlier, for instance. The younger person having the advantage of much more energy and vitality, as well as much more time on his side.

Edited by - Rattan on Jul 09 2008 08:13:14 AM

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  08:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there rattan welcome to the forum

quote:
My question. Is there any relation between the age one is when first starting meditation and the speed of progress? My concern is that staring at my age, I would progress much slower than someone starting 20 years earlier, for instance. The younger person having the advantage of much more energy and vitality, as well as much more time on his side.

Ha Ha 50 isn't old my friend and your age wont have any bearing on your speed of progress at all when you have the urge to start Yoga no matter what your age is that means you are ready and by the way I assure you that you wont run out of energy I think you will possibly find that it will increase.
I didn't start AYP until i was 60+ and the results have been better than I could possibly have imagined. Here are some links for you.

Lesson 74 - Q&A – For this life, and the next one

And here's a discussion from the forum

I am sure you will get some more replies as well... we are not all young-ans here

Edited by - Richard on Jul 09 2008 08:59:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rattan

South Africa
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  4:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard, thanks for your reply and the links. It helped a lot to set my mind at ease.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  6:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Richard, thanks for your reply and the links. It helped a lot to set my mind at ease.

That's OK Rattan I am only too pleased to be able to help as indeed we all are here so ask as many questions as you like

You see we begin searching and find things like AYP when we are ready for them, If you had found us or indeed any valid path before you were ready for it you would not have progressed any faster so you see you are starting just at the right time.

Follow the lessons carefully and self pace, don't try to rush anything that is quite pointless, you will progress at your own pace.

I wish you all success in your chosen path
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  12:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Rattan. I hope you will start meditating. I believe you will find an increase in peace, joy, energy, observance of beauty and.... laughter. Oh, and.... I'll be 52 next month.

:)

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  01:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rattan - I was 52 last month!
Go to Top of Page

maya_1347

USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  03:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit maya_1347's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever you are ready you will see it.
Welcome
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  09:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a thought
if you think age will be an obsticle it will be,
if you think it wont be an obsticle it wont be
mind over matter :)
Neil
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  11:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great answer, Neil. The success or failure of any endeavor originates in the mind. In what I've witnessed, everyone is drawn to meditation at exactly the right time in their life, and not a moment sooner. There's no use in regretting that I didn't start sooner - might's well be thankful that I didn't wait any longer than I did. Rattan, fwiw, I started with meditating with regularity at around 44, am now 48, and feel like I'm 22. :D Just dive in.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad I was able to type something you liked
and if you had started sooner you may not have had the conviction of its purpose in your life and may have given up on it and not tried it with a sincere effort
just thoughts
Neil
Go to Top of Page

Rattan

South Africa
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  04:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the encouragement. I am so glad that I eventualy got to discover the AYP writings. And I am looking forward to years of practice.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  04:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I would look at two seperate issues here. The Body adaptability and the mental focus. As one gets older the body is naturally slower to heal and respond to flexibility exercises etc. As such the prcatice os asana is much easier and faster to progress in a younger student. As one gets older however the ability for the mind to be stable and focused increases therefore making the practice of meditation actually easier. The challnge for the older student is to be able to find comfort in the body so that the practice is not disturbed. Certainly one can practice meditation into extreme old age if you get into the regular habit before physical problems make it difficult.
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  06:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention that my father-in-law started AYP about 6 months ago - He is 76 and had never been into meditation before. It has made quite a noticable difference already!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000