AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Slow motion movement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  10:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I currently experience a lot of slow motion movement and it is combined with the same feeling as automatic yoga gives, namely "I'm certainly not doing this. It happens spontaneously." Does anyone recognize this state when everything slows down and it feels like you go out of time? Is that what some describe as "floating"?

Bernie mentioned it may feel like slow motion when you get closer to the NOW, but that it will change. Has anyone experienced a slow motion phase (and perhaps gotten out of it)?

It feels like flow. Total flow, and though the world is at rapid pace, my movements fit with the world even though I'm in another pace.

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  4:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! I recently posted to another topic about slow motion. I've experienced it a couple times. Once in particular during a bus crash. I definitely felt 'out of time'. I don't have much to add except to say that I think it would be a very disconcerting feeling to have it just happen spontaneously.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  4:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, great that you mentioned that! Actually, I've had flash-backs when it started. I was in a car accident when I was 14 or something. I clearly had a slow motion-witness experience then, seeing myself getting hit from behind, making a twist in the air and land with a soft "bwoff-woff-woff-woff"-sensation in slow motion. I woke up all clear and lay under the car with the face just by the front lights.

I understand now that what I felt at that occasion is the same kind of "out of time" experiences I have more frequently now. Sometimes I walk around the whole day like that, or even some days in a row.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  5:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes, emc. I hope you are doing ok with all this. I hope you can feel grounded somehow during this phase. When I need to feel grounded I go out and shovel horse manure. I live on a farm.Works really well.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  5:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly don't know what grounded means anylonger. 'Cause it all happens even more profound if I drag up Earth energy. That's when the slow motion comes like great waves, the coolness, the breez, with the great stillness inside I am moved in slow motion like the wave on the ocean, or I fly like an eagle with wings powerfully flapping in slow motion. And it's so silent within, yet it could be alarming sound on the outside. If I "ground" I fly even higher, pumping up more energy.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  6:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I often get the impression I am moving through a time field. Like we are walking or moving our arms in this substance called time. When this happens I physically move very slowly like Tai Chi or walking meditation.

I went through a period also when living in the now, as much as I could, and it felt like time went on forever, like a day was a month, but it never dragged or got boring, one second could go on forever and it would be beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  10:55:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oh man i get this all the time. but it's not like so much as slow as it is just bein very aware of everything you do and everything appears slow because it's all flowing together. it feels like your not doing it in a sense beause there just no resistance and no break in consciousness.
I only experience it really with my physical body though my thoughts are never percieved like that. But i think I'm getting there

seeya!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  09:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just found a video clip where this slow motion thing is confirmed by a spritual teacher - don't know who this man is, just bumped into the clip. I found it interesting, though, mainly due to the confirmation of the slow motion movement, but also interesting description of the mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DCYcUAbf40&NR=1
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  6:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello everyone, emc my friend funny you opened this subject i've been experiencing the same thing a lot of times in these last few days but with a feeling of a cold breeze around me plus with heart chakra beating.

kind regards

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  7:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you checked the link in this topic http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3616
It may explain why this(slow motion) happens. The left brain controls the language, thoughts of past, future.. the right is for the present. In our world today, we are trained to use the left side of the brain more than the right. With meditation, we are slowing down the left and getting more access to the right. Check out the video.

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 15 2008 7:38:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  8:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These are great articles that apply to this paradox:

"Narrator : According to the Theory of Relativity, space and time were no longer a rigid framework but were instead a fabric which could be stretched and distorted.

Physicist : Einstein in fact had 2 theories of relativity. In one he showed that time can slow down if you travel very fast, close to the speed of light. That was in his Special Theory of Relativity. In general Relativity, he showed that time can slow down if you sit in a strong gravitational field.

Narrator : Just as a magnet creates a magnetic field, so all massive objects create around themselves a gravity field , and just as a magnetic field affects objects within it, so a gravitational field affects not just objects, but light and even time; bending, stretching or compressing it. The more massive the object, the greater the field it creates, and the more it bends space/time.

Physicist : Imagine you approach a massive star. The closer you get to the star's gravitational field,the slower your clock will run. Even your biological clock, your whole concept of time will be running more slowly than it did when you were further away from the star. [I doubt that it affects the biological clock,gravity affects photons and thus the nature of "an event",if the actual brain's capacity to perceive time is affected too,then I don't see how -LB]

Narrator : The by-product of time slowing down is time-travel to the future. "

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachine...lowtime.html

"The final two studies in this section are concerned with energetic communication by the heart, which we also refer to as cardioelectromagnetic communication. The heart is the most powerful generator of electromagnetic energy in the human body, producing the largest rhythmic electromagnetic field of any of the body's organs. The heart's electrical field is about 60 times greater in amplitude than the electrical activity generated by the brain.

Figure 12. The heart's electromagnetic field--by far the most powerful rhythmic field produced by the human body--not only envelops every cell of the body but also extends out in all directions into the space around us. The cardiac field can be measured several feet away from the body by sensitive devices. Research conducted at IHM suggests that the heart's field is an important carrier of information."

http://www.heartmath.org/research/s.../soh_20.html

"Of course the key moment in our conscious perception of time is the present or now. The present marks the boundary being the past, which we have memory of, and the future which we have little or no knowledge. In a spacetime diagram, the present is indicated by a line horizontal to the spatial axis. As time passes or flows, we represent this by moving the present line upward at a rate of one sec per sec. For human minds, the present line is not perfectly thin. Our perception of time is fuzzy at about the 1/16 of a sec interval. For this reason, single images can be strung together at speeds greater than 1/16 sec to create the illusion of motion and time in videos.

Its not uncommon for our common sense view of the Universe to differ from the more exacting view presented by physics. The psychologically manifestation of physical events is what makes up our perception of the world around us. Take, for example, the old riddle of when a tree falls in a forest and noone is there to hear it, does it make a sound? A physics response to this riddle is that the falling tree does indeed make a wave of compression of air. But it takes a psychological view to explain that the compression of air on a human ear produces the perception of sound in the brain.

The problem of our perception of time flowing involves a mixture of metaphors concerning the nature of time and the confusion surrounding the ideas of `being' and `becoming'. So far, despite the efforts of centuries of philosophical inquiry, we have been unable to connect the concepts of temporal continunity (states of being) and transience (states of becoming). For example, are you the same person that you were 10 years ago? In some ways, yes, in many ways, no.

Physics deals with this problem by claiming that transience is a non-physical peculiarity of living creatures, following the Parmenidean doctrine that the real world is unchanging and transitory experiences are illusions. The concept of `now' was destroyed with special relativity. Einstein predicted, and experiments confirmed, that the definition of the present varyed with observer, and with the motion of the observer. This also confirms the poor meaning behind the phrase `the passage of time'. The notion of time flux is internally inconsistent. Since flux refers to motion, a change in space with time. What does it mean to speak of the movement of time? Relative to what does it move? How fast does time move? One sec per sec is a trivial and meaningless answer. These arguments have led support to the idea that the flow of time is unreal, but time itself is as real as space."

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/21st_c...s/lec18.html

"Simultaneity
Special relativity has shown that the concept of simultaneity is not universal: observers in different frames of reference will have different perceptions of which events are in the future and which are in the past -- there is no way to definitively identify a particular point in universal time as "the present". However, each observer could have an individual flow of time, rather than there being a universal present moment.

Uniqueness of the present
There is no fundamental reason why a particular "present" should be more valid than any other; observers at any point in time will always consider themselves to be in the present. However, every moment of time has a "turn" at being the present moment in flow-of-time theories, so the situation ends up symmetrical."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternalism
(philosophy_of_time)

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Mar 15 2008 10:27:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  3:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As for the brain hemispheres, perception of time, and nonexistence of time in some indigeneous cultures, you might also browse through a book by Robert Ornstein, I've read http://www.amazon.com/Psychology-Co...3260&sr=1-26 although in a Norwegian version.
Minds differ, both individually and over your lifetime. Some people have the gift of entering a state of mental flow in their sofa or in performing arts whereas others go for technically challenging asana, martial arts, climbing or downhill skiing to 'freeze' the left hemisphere for a while.
Like in most threads on this site, there's hardly a one-size-fits-all answer. The right-hand part of tantra helps you understand what your mind is like and what will take you further.
I've had a remarkable slow-motion experience while successfuly avoiding a lethal accident in the Alps many years ago, in the last fraction of a second (feels more like hours whenever I recall that moment), and my flight instructor has had several during improvised belly landings in potato fields etc. Needless to say, I prefer meditation, pranayama and yoga nidra to those hard-earned 'methods'... :-))
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  5:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I got a chance to ask Bernie about the slow motion movements. Just wanted to add some here, although I don't recall EXACTLY how he put it. I don't remember if he said "pure intelligence" or "pure consciousness" (or even pure mind) but it was one of those... He said:

"It's all about frequency. Pure consciousness (oops, that came automatically so it must be it!) moves with the speed of light, but true perception through pure awareness moves faster, it's a finer frequency - it's an instant connection, so when you enter pure perception time stops, since you're actually out of time, and then it at first seems as if everything goes in slow motion, but it will speed up as you learn how to move with it."

And then he added: "That's how it is for me. It slows down, then I can totally freeze it and have a look of what's going on, and then I can start it again knowing what action to take."

I have noticed there are on two occasions this happens more easily and more frequently nowadays: when eating and when driving the car! It's like I then have time (!) to go into full body perception and then the slow motion movements start, and I can just let go of trying to eat or drive the car. Eating happens all by itself - IT is feeding the body (Yes, litterally it feels as if I'm a baby again having mama lifting the fork towards my mouth and mouth gladly opens and receives.). It is so touching it often brings me to tears. I feel so nurtured and taken care of by It.

Driving also happens all by itself. When I go into pure perception the driving is suddently soooooooo smooth and comfortable and there's just this absolute wonderful flow of traffic while nothing is moving at all... Total stillness all over. Most of the time I hold my hands very lightly on the wheel, sometimes not. It depends on how much faith there is at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  1:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I only read the topic post... I thought I'd share my experiences with this though.

When I play piano, as soon as I up the tempo, time slows down. At least from my awareness of it and such. More energy goes towards my hearing, and I'll start processing that more... and also the feeling part of my brain controlling my hands will seem to "speed up" and thus make time slow down. It's like a practiced quicker processing that I can't really control.

If a metronome is on, I can noticeably hear it "change" when I'm not playing and when I do start playing. It can make it a little weird to "lock in" to a new tempo at times.

Also... I get heart palpitations at times, and my heart often tries to synch up to the beat of some songs. It's not something I really control, though I reckon, the heart beat has something to do with how slow or fast time seems to go by. And the breath has a huge effect on this.

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  9:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc
When I was 16 I got into a motorcycle accident. I had a passenger on my bike. We were driving down mainstreet when a small station wagon heading towards us made a left turn into our path. No warning, he did not even signal. We broadsided the station wagon at about 30 mph. I watched the whole accident in slow motion from about 30 feet away. That is, I saw the station wagon and felt the impact. I saw the front of the motorcycle smash in and the signal light glass shatter. The next I knew, I was observing the motorcycle and our bodies flying through the air, all in slow motion from about 25 feet back. When my body hit the pavement I went 'thump' and found myself back in my body. Luckily there were no serious injuries. This is the first event in my life that started me seriously wondering about spiritual existence.

TI
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  11:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Divineis and emc,
I think playing music must be the ultimate (blessed) way of experiencing a really clear-cut state of Flow.
I've experienced this both the dynamic way you describe, and a static way.

Dynamically, especially in "technique" sports where you're sort of making love to the elements. I remember an aquaplaning sail on a surfboard many years ago, with waves splashing from my footstraps and up my Long-John leg's inside, my body hanging under the sail in a slight back bend, lying/relying on the strong, even, wattle wind - it all happened automatically, directed only from my hara, I was present but not active, I wished it would never stop, and I crossed a bay a couple of English miles wide in what seemed to be a couple of seconds. In downhill skiing, it happens more frequently because I often combine it with ski yoga or a stay at a Sivananda ashram; it's also more concentrated to the lower body and the base chakras (or the hara).
This dynamic variant is similar to good (dynamic) sex, "Western" or "Eastern".

Now the static sort is like a picture, similar to perception in childhood. It's easy in beautiful nature, especially after a long sadhana (I've also happened to experience it spontaneously once, at my laptop computer, while just staring at my desk for a second), where there's some element-lovemaking, I now can make it happen when I want to. There's a yearly yoga festival on the island of Oeland here. As I went for a lunch-break swim there, all my senses were pumping in strong summer impressions: the warm air, the high mid-summer sun burning the still-pale skin, the cool wet sand touching my feet, the smell of seaweed, the slightly salt taste of break water, the waves glittering in the sun, the sounds (wind, surf, seagulls). It all entered my sushumna directly, with no noise from the senses and no interference from myself - I just surrendered to the picture, or united with it, like a child: No dualism, the self and the outside world were the same. Next day (and next) I tried the same on the same beach. It worked. This static variant is similar to meditative (static) sex.
So it's a two-way street. Yogani and old tantra advises you to worship nature and creaion through the body of your partner. And Deida says: "the way a man penetrates the world should be the same he penetrates his woman (...) to magnify love, openness and depth".
IMHO., a two way street, no matter if you watch things "statically" or penetrate them "dynamically".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000