Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 breathin in meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  12:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I noticed the other day while doing my meditation that my breathing changed. the pace of the breath did not slow down, I was probably breathing one breath every six seconds or so but the breathing became very light, barely in and barely out. I was under the assumption that a longer breath, some say a one minute breath can get you into a meditative mind, was more conducive to meditation
thanks
Neil

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  2:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
tubeseeker,

The breath may change in many different ways during meditaiton. The body does what is has to at the moment. Sometimes it's agitated breathing, sometimes very slow, sometimes deep, sometimes shallow and/or fast... Sometimes there's no breath. All sorts are ok.

The barely in and barely out is recognized - I had that before I started with longer breathless states. Like a small bird sipping for air...
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  3:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
With the AYP system we don't pay any attention to the breath at all during meditation.

If your attention goes to your breath just come gently back to the mantra.
As emc says there can be many patterns of breath during meditation sometimes when we become aware of the breath we may seem to be breathing in little gasps and other times we may seem to be not breathing at all, its all OK the only time we pay any attention to the breath at all is in spinal breathing.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  5:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tubeseeker, the one minute breath that you are talking about is Pranayama breathing with kumbhaka (breath retention). That is a good practice to do BEFORE mantra meditation but during mantra meditation just allow your breath to do whatever it feels like without control. Don't worry about the breath during mantra practice
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  7:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the insight, I will just back back to the mantra :)
Thanks
neil
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  10:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lately, when I am fairly deep into meditation and not thinking about the breath, which is normal for me, the breath seems to reappear into my attention. I stick to the mantra but get this feeling that if I were to competely abandon the breath somehow that I would suffocate!

So, I favor the mantra as Yogani says so it happens to be mantra and breath in attention with really no thoughts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000