Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Tai Chi Quan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  12:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am not sure if I should post this here. Yogani mentioned that Tai Chi Quan is a good way for grounding and I read elsewhere that it allows the internal energy generated by pranayama and asana to move dynamically. However, in Yogani's book list, there isn't a book that teaches how to do Tai Chi Quan.(There was 1 in the list,but reviews on Amazon says that is more of a memoir). Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you and Have a nice day :)

Edmund

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  04:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you can have a look at http://www.taichili.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  3:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can personally say that it is virtually impossible to learn taiji quan from books or video's. All martial arts are very difficult to learn and require a competent teacher to personally instruct you.. Especially in the chinese internal martial arts such as Taiji quan, bagua zhang, and Xing yi quan it is an absolute necessity to have someone there to ensure the movements and postures are correct. Only if you have much experience in martial arts background already can you really get much out of learning techniques from books..

Since Taiji quan is becoming extremely popular all over the world chances are there are some centers or taiji groups near you.. Here is a link to one such centre in Singapore http://www.rchongtaichi.com/

best of luck to you
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  12:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hI ZZZ,

nICE TO MEET YOU......

I have never had any Tai chi lessons but all postures come to me naturally

It a definite result of japa meditation.....

It is also my main method of easing energy flows.......It works best in an open air enviroment.........

If that is what you really want to learn
just close you eyes and try some meditation.......of course you have to finsih off more than half a million in chants........on a daily basis

I hope this helps......

Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  12:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Neesha and Thokar : you both are absolutely right. I followed lessons of T'ai chi and these postures are so easy and natural but at the same time so difficult . The teacher has to correct your posture many, many times. Legs always bent like an ape or a little child, the back allmost always straight. Then arms, hand and fingers , the movements of these together, the movement of heel, toes, legs, the distribution of the weight on the legs : impossible to learn by yourself. Very beautifull.
But, when you have followed a few lessons (or more), you can do your own spontaneous movements. They come out of the blue and you feel good with them.
Try a few lessons, they are not expensive.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  6:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

But, when you have followed a few lessons (or more), you can do your own spontaneous movements.

You know...... input the thought into your mind........Learning tai chi

relax for about 20 minutes completely.... your mind that is

no thought patterns and input tai chi again

stand slowly not abruptly

spread out your arms in a receiving manner

tell me what you feel..........

it all comes from within.........try it in front your altar....remember to input what you want to learn in your mind first
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  9:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Bill

USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  01:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Edmund,
I would like to put in my two cents worth in here on this. I studied tai chi over twenty years and for the last I have practiced classical tai chi www.classicaltaichi.com Master Hwa explains the movement very clearly but on top of that he explains the internal discipline (nei gong) very clearly as well. That is there are analogous movements to yoga's bandhas in tai chi which move the limbs of the body from the core. They also move the internal energy. He also explains clearly what yin and yang are in the movements. Master Hwa has in his travels around the country offered private instructions to those learning from his dvds. I just got back from a weekend of celbrating his 75th birthday where he offered a free weekend workshop those who could make it there.
Go to Top of Page

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  02:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of your opinions.

Yah,I looked at at book with the basic 24 stances,looks difficult,will go and get some lessons
Go to Top of Page

TVD

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  6:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit TVD's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To zzzMonster and for anyone who's still interested in this thread

The best book I've found on the subject of Taichi in terms of history, philosophy and practice is The Dao of Taijiquan: Way to Rejuvintion by Jou Tsung Hwa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000