Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Few questions from this beginner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jnaga

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  12:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jnaga's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

In the radio interviews, Yogani mentioned that "stage 2" of something was associated with the tongue slipping behind the soft palate into the nasopharynx. ( ! ). It reminded me of something we learned in CPR, to make sure the tonge hasn't slipped back so as to block the airway. Does "stage 2" accompany breathlessness? It must surely narrow the effective airway, but does it block it completely?

Is the breathlessness that some writers associate with samadhi literal? Breathless and pulseless?

Thinking of the tongue back also brought to mind epileptic seizures, where also the eyes can roll back, which instantly reminds one of gazing toward the third eye. A seizure must have something to do with Kundalini energy. Of course, probably everything in the body has something to do with Kundalini energy. Is epilepsy a severe out of control Kundalini awakening? Can it be helped greatly by the same factors that moderate an overly energetic Kundalini?

Once Kundalini begins to waken, would one be in trouble in life if he did not continue daily meditative practice? Is that sort of a point of no return? From that point on? Not that one would want to stop. But is it that stopping anywhere after that point would probably be less desirable than not having done anything to awaken the energy in the first place?

What is the tongue in the airpipe "stage 2" of ? Is there a stage 3 and higher? Can anyone tell us something of those stages?

Yogani, did you have anyone to guide you through the pitfalls, as you are helping us? Who were your teachers?

This website and your books and work give me much optimism about the universe at large.

Thank you everyone who answers.

Sincerely,
Jnaga

shankar

Norway
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  7:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit shankar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been epileptic for years. My doctor tells me that as far as modern science is concerned, epileptic fits are a result of malfunctioning synapses in the body`s nervous system, a condition that is genetic. Approximately 1% of people in the world are epileptics, but the symptoms and immediate causes of seizures differ widely. Further, I have been told that my years of regular meditation does help to ameliorate my condition and decrease the risk of seizures. I have come across historians with some grounding in medical theories who postulate that many prophets down the ages were probably epileptics. This is because some types of seizures are associated with "hearing voices", "seeing lights", "speaking in tongues" etc. I myself have been told that I have babbled in my mother tongue during one of my seizures and have had experiences which could be associated with "seeing visions". I would welcome contributions from anybody who might wish to contribute with their own personal experiences with these and similar conditions.

Edited by - shankar on Jun 14 2008 7:30:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  9:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Stage 3 would block the nasal airway a bit, since you basically gotta pick a nostril haha. And obviously, any kechari mudra, pretty much completely blocks any breathing from the mouth.

As for breathlesness being literal... yes and no. You can reach some states where the breathing really slows down or effortlessly stands still for a little while. There's also a bit of a metaphorical sense, in that once your in touch with the "witnesser", lets say you do it through breath awareness... well once you "get there", it's sort of a merging with the breath, where I'd say your breath seems "more" alive, though you're no longer attached to the breather as being "me" if that makes any sense? Just try not to think about it too much, you'll know what I mean when it doesn't happen haha. hehe, I love that one, "when it doesn't happen" (copyright, Divineis haha).

As for Kundalini having anything to do with epileptic seizures, as with anything, that depends on your definition of the word Kundalini. I know it's tempting to try and put a spiritual label on a whole bunch of problems or everyday occurances... I guess it's ok if it has a practical use to you, buuuut, for enlightenments sake and "end of labels" and such, I'd just watch the process of labelling rather than get too attached to any particular happening meaning a particular thing haha. It usually just means... it happened heh. And then when you label, that happened too... and it's all the same happening, we just put different importance on different stuff, we're human, it happens haha.

Once kundalini awakens... hmm, I wouldn't worry about that for now. By that point I reckon you'll know very well what kind of path you're treading down. This is just another happening to relax into.

Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  11:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Jnaga,

Having had my experiences in the absence of any formal training, I have always felt that samadhi is a sort of benevolent seizure (probably involving the temporal lobes) that can be entered and exited at will so to speak since it is actually surrender of the will that makes it happen. This is what I believe is a very profound mastering of the mind, at least in the moment. As for Kundalini, I have little input since it is all a mystery to me.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jnaga,

quote:
What is the tongue in the airpipe "stage 2" of ? Is there a stage 3 and higher? Can anyone tell us something of those stages?

It is stage 2 of Kechari mudra. There is a stage 3, 4 and 5. Click on the main lessons link above, and then on lesson 108 for the full story. Aparrently you can still breathe in stage 2 and above!

quote:
Thinking of the tongue back also brought to mind epileptic seizures, where also the eyes can roll back, which instantly reminds one of gazing toward the third eye. A seizure must have something to do with Kundalini energy. Of course, probably everything in the body has something to do with Kundalini energy. Is epilepsy a severe out of control Kundalini awakening? Can it be helped greatly by the same factors that moderate an overly energetic Kundalini?

I think it is. The symptoms are so similar to kundalini going haywire that it seems very likely. One day when our knowledge is a bit more advanced, this could be an area worth exploring as a possible cure for epilepsy.

quote:
Once Kundalini begins to waken, would one be in trouble in life if he did not continue daily meditative practice? Is that sort of a point of no return? From that point on? Not that one would want to stop. But is it that stopping anywhere after that point would probably be less desirable than not having done anything to awaken the energy in the first place?

It is a kind of "point of no return" . But don't worry, if you awaken your kundalini in a safe manner, then it is all good. If you don't meditate every day once your kundalini is awakened, it doesn't matter. It just means things will proceed, but very very slowly. It is much better to work with the practices and meditate every day.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  11:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jnaga,

Very interesting post. I myself have wondered about exactly the same things. Especially epilepsy and kundulini and the point of no return thing. I guess no one knows for sure but it seems likely to me that epilepsy is related to energy flashes in the body. I myself suffured from panick attacks in the past and see it also related. It is a quick flushing of something in the system. I definetely felt hormones flooding my bloodstream when in these situations. One thought that occured to me about epilepsy and the automatic rolling of eyes and swallowing of tongue is the response of the body trying to compensate some imbalance in the epiletic body. Maybe during a seizure, the body tries to compensate by performing these movements, which are supposed to be (when done in a relaxed way of course!) very relaxing and blissful for the body...

I guess we're all finding out things here. It is excitting, if taken with the due care.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  9:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi shankar,

Nice to meet you.......

Sorry I have never experienced any epileptic fits

Do you feel numbness in your right arm?

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

shankar

Norway
35 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  04:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit shankar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Neesha

Hi shankar,

Nice to meet you.......

Sorry I have never experienced any epileptic fits

Do you feel numbness in your right arm?

Namaste

Hi! Nice to meet you too.

No, no particular numbness in my right arm. But more like a cleansed, flushed feeling over the entire body. In the immediate aftermath, I can appear disoriented to those around me, but this disappears pretty fast and for hours afterwards I have this blissful state of rest. My fits started when I was a teenager and I didn't recall anything that happened during the seizures themselves in the aftermath. After practising meditation for years now, I have had many episodes where I can recall with great clarity "myself" suspended over my body and having this other-wordly, spectator-view of my body having convulsions. I have experienced other-wordly sensations and felt a sense of being "taken care of" or "counselled" while my body is undergoing a seizure. The bliss afterwards is fantastic. At the same time, I have had longer and longer periods without any seizures. Most people who know me are not even aware that I am an epileptic. I have a normal life with work, friends and voluntary pursuits. I never induce or wish for these episodes. But I am no longer wary of them or am alarmed in the aftermath. Quite the contrary.

Namaste!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000