Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Oneness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  03:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Alright, so I was having a discussion with some online friend about Osho. My friend thinks he's crazy... isn't enlightened, and all that business. Enlightened or not, he's added much value to my life methinks. My friends argument was basically the guy's material posessions. He had a lotta cars, wore a rolex. Of course, this is hardly the image of an enlightened man. ANd I think that was Osho's point in a way. To quit projecting this "enlightened" image, and to simply be :).

So, this got me thinking about how all individuals embody enlightenment differently.

I always dig comparing nature to humans and such. Like lets say we look at a tree... every single cell in a tree is in communication with every other single cell. There's no brain, but they all know what's going down, and they work together and efficiently. Each one does a certain thing best, and every other one around it does it's best so they can all do their best hehe.

It reminds me of some quote that lead to some dudes enlightenment. This zen guy was at a meat market, and he asks "which piece of meat is the best". The guy running the store answers "every piece of meat is the best". Boom, enlightened. haha.

Alright, so let's say tomorrow, BOOM, everyone's enlightened, now what would happen? Everyone would do their best at doing their best so that everyone else can do their best. haha

Now let's take out the tomorrow. BOOM, right now, done (I have magical powers :) haha).

hmm, I guess there was no point to this post haha... if anyone wants to discuss oneness, feel free :).

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  11:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Only an enlightened person would recognize another. Until you are enlightened...and therefore really know what it means...how would you recognize it if you saw it? You don't know what it really means, so on what basis could you judge?

This is often the problem, we have an image of what an enlightened man should be. On what basis are we making this image? It is best to have no image about what an enlightened person would be like or what enlightenment will mean for you.

Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  12:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think oneness is your "ha ha"

Even having a mental concept of oneness implies that there is other than oneness.

Oneness is what we are.

On edit, I don't think I said that very well. What I think I tried to say was that the very idea in dualistic thought of "oneness" appears to indicate that there is "duality", and then there is "oneness", which is actually a dualistic notion. It makes a concept of oneness as part of a duality. Like oneness and not oneness. I think duality is just the expression of oneness, and ultimately there is only oneness appearing as many. I am just making another dual concept, aren't I?

Edited by - Balance on Apr 20 2008 6:44:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  3:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Eric Putkonen: Only an enlightened person would recognize another.

How is this possible?

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  12:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by eputkonen

Only an enlightened person would recognize another. Until you are enlightened...and therefore really know what it means...how would you recognize it if you saw it? You don't know what it really means, so on what basis could you judge?

Enlightenment means something?

Some things look enlightened and others don't?

An enlightened man would judge what is and what isn't enlightened?

hehe, answer me these questions and I'll take you seriously.

Don't answer them, and I'll take you even more seriously

And Balance, I dig it. Haha, oh man, I find myself laughing at myself reading books about Zen sometimes. I just read em for the stories now really. And I started one about Koans lately too. I really dig Zen ermm... "anti" philosophy haha.

Anything that takes enlightenment "seriously" though, I just... can't really take that seriously anymore. That's why I dig Osho, he's just a kickass story teller with a Zen edge.

I mean no offence to the intellects out there. I can dig a good intelectual conversation... though if you're gonna talk about enlightenment, at least make it poetic or something. Throw in a few paradoxes in the mix. Pretend to sound deep and then laugh at your deepness or something... haha. I dunno, to me, intellect is only half the equasion.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  02:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Divineis, one thing I can't figure out (among many things), when you speak through me, who is listening?

Hey, I got it, that must be how oneness keeps from getting bored!

I must go ponder this now.

ciao
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  03:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ahaha, yeah... "it's all empty... doesn't mean I can't play video games to pass the time" haha :).

... even though time is an illusion.

heheh
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  09:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by VIL

quote:
Eric Putkonen: Only an enlightened person would recognize another.

How is this possible?

VIL

How is it possible to recognize yourself in a mirror?

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  09:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Divineis
Enlightenment means something?
Some things look enlightened and others don't?
An enlightened man would judge what is and what isn't enlightened?

“Enlightenment means something?”

Only to those who think they are not.

“Some things look enlightened and others don't?”

Only to those who think they are not.

“An enlightened man would judge what is and what isn't enlightened?”

Not usually...no point.

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  4:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Eputkonen, I dare you to forget everything you've ever learned. Tripple doggy dare, with a cherry on top.
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  7:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Eputkonen, I dare you to forget everything you've ever learned. Tripple doggy dare, with a cherry on top.

There is nothing to forget...I am not speaking about something I learned.

Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  10:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alright, you win, here's the cherry from the tripple doggy dare :) hehe. *hands cherry*.

Ahhh.. good ol' enlightenment, where contradicting yourself is almost the key to success even though the Self can't be contradicted haha.

Namaste eric, I wish you ermm... nothing on your path haha ;)

Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  08:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, Eric, the point of my post is that I don't have to be Mozart to appreciate a beautiful musical composition or hold an aversion to the same. I partially quoted what you said to cue you that maybe it's better to take stock and favor humility over being right.

Namaste:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  09:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
VIL,

"the point of my post is that I don't have to be Mozart to appreciate a beautiful musical composition or hold an aversion to the same."

Appreciating beauty in people (or holding an aversion to the same) and recognizing people who know who/what they are...are two very different matters.

Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  1:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Appreciating beauty in people (or holding an aversion to the same) and recognizing people who know who/what they are...are two very different matters.

Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen"

Like a surfer recognizing the moon's pull as something beautiful and a shipwreck survivor recognizing the same pull as something horrible? Like those two?

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Apr 23 2008 1:15:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  1:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by VIL
Like a surfer recognizing the moon's pull as something beautiful and a shipwreck survivor recognizing the same pull as something horrible? Like those two?

No...the difference between the surfer or survivor versus the one who sees only Self when looking at the moon.

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  9:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No... the difference between the surfer or survivor versus the surfer or survivor... :p
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  11:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"No...the difference between the surfer or survivor versus the one who sees only Self when looking at the moon.

~ Eric Putkonen"

Can you recognize the Self within Christ or Krishna or Yogananda and if so are you equal to them?

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  4:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
equal=unequal

This is just getting silly now though. It's obvious my Zen penis is bigger than all of yours.

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  5:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

equal=unequal

This is just getting silly now though. It's obvious my Zen penis is bigger than all of yours.

Well, then, you obviously must know what is the sound of one hand clapping?

Buwahahahaha!!!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Edited by - Balance on Apr 25 2008 8:51:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  9:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by VIL
Can you recognize the Self within Christ or Krishna or Yogananda and if so are you equal to them?

The Self is all there is. Christ, Krishna, Yogananda, Eric Putkonen, and you are only the dreams of the Self. All dream-characters are equal...or as some others would put it, "in God's sight, we are all equal."

Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  03:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Balance

quote:

equal=unequal

Well, then, you obviously must know what is the sound of one hand clapping?

Buwahahahaha!!!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

BAHAHAHAHAHA, HAHA, I can't stop laughing, hah,a I had to read that a second time before I got it haha :) oh man. hahaha, it hurts.

I can't stoooooop haha.

I'm gonna be giggling about this one on my own for weeks to come haha.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, ha ha ha, I'm happy to help you laugh. I got to laugh a bit at my "cleverness" too. Schoolyard stuff, you know?

Laughter is good.

I realize though that with my crude joking I may have offended people with the baseness of my humor and I apologize if that is the case with anyone. I was going to delete it but as long as we are laughing and taking it lightly then I suppose there may be no harm done.

In laughter and silly fun, Alan

Edited by - Balance on Apr 26 2008 11:24:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  11:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I got an email from that my original smiley could have been misconstrued as mockery and so I changed it accordingly, although that was not my intention. The post before that was something else, though.

Anyway, my question on equality can't be answered according to philosophy and so I originally did this: () so that Eric would get the joke. And I understand his point of view that at long as there is a "you" or a "me" then there is a separation, which is true, in a one sense and not in another. Regardless, the thread is about oneness and I get your point of view, Eric.

quote:
Divineis: equal=unequal

It is, huh? Are you like a seed that dreamt it was a human being and passed through the four bellies of the cow and into the dung or did you choose to grow into a plant so that you can be of some use to the animal? Huh? Huh? Which are you then? A seed or a plant or simply a "hare chewing cud"?!

All in good fun.

Namaste:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  02:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm the bacteria in the cud or poo..., in which case ermm... proto wars! haha, I had to dictionary that word proto... I was like hmm, good enough meaning.
Proto.

I changed my mind on the bacteria, I'm the energy thing that met the other energy thing which made the Big Bang.

Boom, there it is again.
Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  10:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Only an enlightened person can recognize another." --Osho

http://www.satraksh*ta.com/osho_on_...eligions.htm

Edit note: Hm. For some reason this is not letting me paste the whole link(?). It should read "satrak****a.com" in the section where the ***s are. So much for my attempt at a brief, pithy ironic comment.

2nd edit: How bizarre. satrak****a

3rd edit: Oh, I see what is happening! The missing section of letters is "sh*t", and the forum autocensor sees it as an obscenity and won't publish it!

Haha!
-----------------

Moderator note: The automated censorship of the URL has been removed.

Edited by - Juliet on Apr 30 2008 11:13:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000