Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Making faces in meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  12:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi! I have a question regarding grimacing in meditation. For quite a while after meditation I find my forehead wrincled meaning that during the meditation I am lifting my eyebrows for a long period. Has this happened to you and does this tendency disappear after a while

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  3:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lili

Hi! I have a question regarding grimacing in meditation. For quite a while after meditation I find my forehead wrincled meaning that during the meditation I am lifting my eyebrows for a long period. Has this happened to you and does this tendency disappear after a while

Hi Lili

I have found myself making all sorts of facial grimaces during meditation, sometimes so extreme they have been uncomfortable.

A lot of this sort of thing is sorted out by spinal breathing, are you doing this?

If not try it

Blessings

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  3:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Richard I am doing it . Perhaps I need to increase the time of spinal breathing. In your case did this with the facial grimaces stop at some point? I am not at all concerned with other types of physical movements but this one leaves wrinkles
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  10:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello Lili,

I could be wrong, but I don't think that such a thing will in itself cause permanent wrinkles. Not what is held for the duration of meditation. In the long run it is age that will cause permanent wrinkles, and they can't really be stopped.

-D

quote:

Thanks Richard I am doing it . Perhaps I need to increase the time of spinal breathing. In your case did this with the facial grimaces stop at some point? I am not at all concerned with other types of physical movements but this one leaves wrinkles

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi again Lili.
Yes spinal breathing more or less sorted out all my problems of that nature. When things like that return I usually get over it by adding another practice but that's just me. everyone is different and this could be the wrong way to do it for you.

I tend to agree with david, I don't think it will have a lasting effect but anything that causes stress and worry for you as this seems to cant be good.

I would make sure you have added all the bells and whistles to your spinal breathing before you increase the time, ie Ujjayi, Mulabandha, Sambhava, Siddhasana, all these things will increase your spinal conductivity and that will go a long way towards resolving the problem.
Are you sure you are not still concentrating during you meditation this can cause that sort of problem as well it has been an absolute curse for me. You must relax the mind during med just start the mantra off and then just listen to it in a relaxed sort of way when the mind starts to wander just come gently back to the mantra again.

Get back to me and let me know how you get on you can e-mail me if you like

Blessings

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  10:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

Hello Lili,

I could be wrong, but I don't think that such a thing will in itself cause permanent wrinkles. Not what is held for the duration of meditation. In the long run it is age that will cause permanent wrinkles, and they can't really be stopped.

-D

Yes sure it just doesn't look very nice right after the meditation but I think I should not be bothering people any more about that. It is not a big issue and it seems to be happening only to me. Thanks for your response!

Edited by - Lili on Aug 04 2005 10:11:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  10:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by azaz932001

Hi again Lili.
Yes spinal breathing more or less sorted out all my problems of that nature. When things like that return I usually get over it by adding another practice but that's just me. everyone is different and this could be the wrong way to do it for you.

I tend to agree with david, I don't think it will have a lasting effect but anything that causes stress and worry for you as this seems to cant be good.

I would make sure you have added all the bells and whistles to your spinal breathing before you increase the time, ie Ujjayi, Mulabandha, Sambhava, Siddhasana, all these things will increase your spinal conductivity and that will go a long way towards resolving the problem.
Are you sure you are not still concentrating during you meditation this can cause that sort of problem as well it has been an absolute curse for me. You must relax the mind during med just start the mantra off and then just listen to it in a relaxed sort of way when the mind starts to wander just come gently back to the mantra again.

Get back to me and let me know how you get on you can e-mail me if you like

Blessings

RICHARD

Thanks Richard! I have been doing all those for several months now but this started to occur (or I started paying attention to it) only recently. Thanks for your suggestion on concentration - I admit it is still weak even after more than 9 mts of practice.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  10:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Richard! I have been doing all those for several months now but this started to occur (or I started paying attention to it) only recently. Thanks for your suggestion on concentration - I admit it is still weak even after more than 9 mts of practice.
[/quote]

Hello again Lili

What do you mean week you shouldn't be concentrating at all If you are trying to concentrate and hold the mantra this is almost certainly causing the problem. Don't try to hold it let it go where it wants and when you realise you are thinking about something else just come easily back to it again this is perfect meditation.
Do not worry about bothering people that's what we are all here for after all there is no one else you can talk to about these things is there. If you are embarrassed to talk about these things on line just e-mail any of us privately.

Blessings

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili,

This happens to me from time to time during meditation as well. My impression is that it is the nervous system naturally moving and stretching in an intuitive way to achieve opening and is not something to be concerned about.

The wrinkle thought did cross my mind as well and as it can hold in that position intensely sometimes for extended periods of time. My initial reasoning was that it was a small price to pay for spiritual unfolding and advancement but I agree with people above that it probably won't contribute much when compared to the natural aging process!

Most recently, I have found that if I relax my facial musculature and go with the flow of energy I don't get the same crinkling of the brow, though I still feel that "crown stretch/ opening" sensation. I would just recommend relaxing into it and going with the flow, I think things will get smoother as blockages are cleared out and as you become accustomed to the increased energy flow.

hopefully this helps,

Anthem11
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  1:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Richard and Andrew,

Thank you for very much for your notes and recommendations .

Best,
Lili
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000