Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 healing attention
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  11:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
People who start experiencing stillness should know that, when stillness is reached, the attention itself starts to become healing, and with more stillness, more and more healing. A general technique to release stress or problems in the body is simply to let the attention rest where the problem is arising or being experienced.

This practice that Jim is proposing (quoted below) sounds like the result of a spontaneous discovery of the principle. But it can be done for many things once stillness starts to take root -- headaches, general aches and pains -- almost any symptom you can describe.

When the mind-body gets very refined, I believe it can even be applied to psychological difficulties also, but it can take a lot of sensitivity in the mind-body connection to be able to 'locate' these in the mind-body and let the attention rest there.

-David

Jim said: >>> I just noticed something very interesting. Next time you get a yawn in meditation (a relaxed, "opening up" sort of yawn, as opposed to a bored/sleepy yawn"), observe closely where the yawn emits from. And draw your attention immersively there and keep it there.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jul 26 2005 11:42:37 AM

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  4:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree completely re: healing attention. I've been having a good bit of healing insight for some time (coming from a slightly different direction, but the details aren't all that interesting), and it's a great topic for discussion (thanks for starting it!) But the yawn thing is something totally different. I'd rather not elaborate, because I don't want to direct anyone's experience. In a few weeks or months or years, someone will pipe up, and I want to hear their natural response.

quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

People who start experiencing stillness should know that, when stillness is reached, the attention itself starts to become healing, and with more stillness, more and more healing. A general technique to release stress or problems in the body is simply to let the attention rest where the problem is arising or being experienced.

This practice that Jim is proposing (quoted below) sounds like the result of a spontaneous discovery of the principle. But it can be done for many things once stillness starts to take root -- headaches, general aches and pains -- almost any symptom you can describe.

When the mind-body gets very refined, I believe it can even be applied to psychological difficulties also, but it can take a lot of sensitivity in the mind-body connection to be able to 'locate' these in the mind-body and let the attention rest there.

-David

Jim said: >>> I just noticed something very interesting. Next time you get a yawn in meditation (a relaxed, "opening up" sort of yawn, as opposed to a bored/sleepy yawn"), observe closely where the yawn emits from. And draw your attention immersively there and keep it there.

Go to Top of Page

Ute

39 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  10:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ute's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David,
my experience echoes this, though it's somewhat different. I use it for pain control. I surrender into the source of the pain and it draws me into a place of exquisite stillness. I was feeling bad because I could not keep my practice because of pain and then I realized:"duh, I'm in the same(no)place!" I do like manta better, though...

Ute
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  08:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Healing of the mind and body is a side effect of the purity of the energy system which you gain spontaneously just as the siddhis are gained.It is all part of the process of meditation.
L&L
dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000