Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Ramana Maharshi - Abide as the Self
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  6:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A nicely made video of the Maharshi's teaching.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SNXM4Sq-...ture=related

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  8:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see that this is part C of several parts. You can find them all there at the link.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  11:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the video, Balance. Very inspiring. I met Ramana Maharshi a while ago. He speaks about our encounter here:

quote:
When Bhagavan was living on the hill, a big monkey came one day when he was having his food, and sat near him. Bhagavan was about to put a morsel of food into his mouth, but when he saw the monkey he gave it the morsel. The monkey took it, put it on the plate and gave Bhagavan a square slap on the cheek. “What do you mean, you fellow? Why are you angry? I gave you the first morsel!” exclaimed Bhagavan. Then he understood his mistake. It was a king monkey and he had to be treated in the right royal manner. Bhagavan called for a separate leaf plate and a full meal was served to the king, who ate it all with dignity and proudly went away.

http://bhagavan-ramana.org/ramanadevotees.html

Of course, I'm being facetious, but this is one of the very first accounts that I can ever remember reading of Ramana Maharshi when I first joined this forum a while back and I was absolutely livid by this experience. And I thought, 'Of course, you got slapped! The Universe is letting you know what a fool you are, since a human being does not debase himself to an animal - Where is your dignity? I may as well have slapped you myself! You say you're enlightened?? Amazing! He just doesn't understand the deeper truths of reality:

Anyway, so I really kind of put him in a box in my mind, unbeknownst to me, tucked away for another time.

And so I decided to reexamine Ramana Maharshi by looking not so much into his teachings, but by his experience, actions, and what others who were in his presence had to say about their encounters.

And lo and behold this very morsel of a story that I read before was staring me straight in the face. So it suddenly occurred to me that I was the one who gave him a good slap years ago and although he was gracious and garnished my plate I decided to turn away and do what came natural by swinging from tree to tree. And the reverse also became true, as I got a good slap at the very same time:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  11:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sri Ramana is the ultimate form of compassion and humility and grace.

All of us children are the King of Monkeys.

Thank you for the story, I am learning how to open to the love as the universe blesses me with a slap.

If ever you swing down by my tree we shall know how to proceed!

Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  11:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Balance: If ever you swing down by my tree we shall know how to proceed!

LOLOL

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  12:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ramana Maharshi is us.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  1:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great videos! I must read Maharshi... thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  1:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Great videos! I must read Maharshi... thanks!

Only recently have I been able to read and appreciate Ramana Maharshi. For some reason his words just didn't resonate with me. I had an understanding that it was due to some kind of block within. I don't know what that was about. I was eating up Nisargadatta's words, but just couldn't read the Maharshi's. Anyway, thankfully that has passed because the teachings from this beautiful one of Arunachala are like sweet honey to me now.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  2:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey emc,

David Godman has some firsthand knowledge of Nisargadatta's thoughts and feelings about Ramana Maharshi here:

http://davidgodman.org/interviews/nis2.shtml

You may already have read this, but if not it is a good read you may enjoy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000