Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 mantra shifting, changing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  07:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

During deep meditation today the mantra quickly morphed into a sound that was not even really close to 'i am'. I can't describe it. I stayed focused on it for a while as if it was the mantra but then I became worried that the meditation would not be effective since it was so different than I AM. I realize that thought was me being off the mantra, but I went back to the mantra starting with a new one. I easily stayed focused on it but it too quickly changed into something that was not very much like the original mantra at all, it was sort of like a didgeridoo vibration (oddly I also then had a vision of being around a large fire with aboriginees, so maybe it was a past life thing coming up). I disregarded the vision as a distraction though and went back to the mantra.

My question is whether or not is it okay if the mantra changes that much during meditation. I know that it's okay if the mantra gets "fuzzy" or quiet, but this was a lot more extreme; it became something that did not really resemble the mantra at all. Should I just stay focused on the sound/mantra that the mantra shifts into?

I don't like "starting up a new mantra" after the first one because I can then sometimes perceive both in my awareness for a little while. One floats off one direction and one in the other.

Anyways I totally get to ignore everything as a distraction and stick with the mantra, I am just not sure if I should restart the mantra if it changes so drastically.

Namaste

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  10:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From my experience when the mantra morphs a lot and then I try to force it back to a certain pronuciation or vibration, it doesn't work well, like you said... So I just come back to whatever is left of the mantra and don't force anything.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  4:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello stillness

A fuzzy mantra is still easily reckognizable. So if you drift off into a buzzing sound - then as soon as you notice - come back, and gently intone the mantra again. The sound you are describing is scenery.....it could be a nada. And it is with sounds as it is with sights.....we favour the mantra over them. Gently.

Don't think of it as a "new" mantra......it is just "I am" again. And again......and again

Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  5:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
My question is whether or not is it okay if the mantra changes that much during meditation.

Should I just stay focused on the sound/mantra that the mantra shifts into?

I don't like "starting up a new mantra" after the first one because I can then sometimes perceive both in my awareness for a little while. One floats off one direction and one in the other.

I've never been huge on mantra meditation though... I've unlearnt a thing or two in my days of meditation ;) haha.

You ask "is it ok if the mantra changes" hells yeah, this is the point. It's always changing. There's only one "I AM" mantra, but everything you need to know is in it. It always changes but it's always the same. That's all you need to know.

When the sound changes... I'd say stay focused on that if you feel your being calling itself towards it. Sometimes your body just knows what's appropriate for you to be aware of, for your awareness to melt itself into. Otherwise, just go back to the "I am" mantra. The guru is within you afterall.

As for perceiving two mantra's at once. THAT'S AWESOME!!! When two mantra's become one, you've known the truth in this moment. It's always here, just ride the wave... duuuuude. :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000