AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Sound comes with noise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lookatmynavelnow

52 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  7:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Often when in deep meditation I experience that when something is making a sound in the room, I hear the sound and a fraction of a second later I “feel” the sound as burst of white noise. I have four possible explanations to this.

1. The experience momentarily effects the blood pressure (as a part of the automatic fight or flight response) and I experience that increase in blood flow with my hearing.

2. I become aware of the increased activity in the nervous system as the sound sets off reactions.

3. The sound has some sublime physical way of interacting with the unmanifest silence, creating a ripple effect of spontaneously fired and dissolved neurons…

4. The varying air pressure “caused” by the sound is felt in my skin and the feeling is translated to and experienced as noise in the mind.

Does anyone else have the same experience, and what is the explanation? (Please answer asap, you might win a car and a washer/dryer!)

No, really, I am being serious here.

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  11:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's #2.
Your spinal cord has a brain of its own. If you stick your hand in the fire, your hand will pull out before the message even gets to your reasoning brain.
So my vote is for more than one system in the body that creates reactions.
Of course the more esoteric is possible too. I often hear sounds when meditating that i am pretty sure don't belong to the physical universe.
Go to Top of Page

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  03:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get that when I am lying down to sleep and there is a noise in the house or in my room, even if it is a fairly quiet noise. I feel the noise in my whole body and see a flash of white light. I'm not sure what causes it, but it only started happening in the past year or so.
Go to Top of Page

Lookatmynavelnow

52 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  1:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by stillness

I feel the noise in my whole body and see a flash of white light.

Interesting. I have the same experience since many years, a sudden noise is the exact same time regisered as light. I did not want to mention it in the first post because I think this is different. Or is it not?
Go to Top of Page

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  2:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh sorry, I misread your post the first time.

I don't know if it's the same thing. I'm trying to remember if the flash of light is sometimes accompanied by white noise, but I'm not sure.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000