Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 unfocused mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  3:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
say we are doing something but we hum a mantra, would the physical vibrational qualities have an effect on our brain? or what if we verbally do a mantra and let the mind wander, would the mind become quieter then if we did not do the mantra? I know a mantra as the whole focus is ideal and has greater effects but does teh physical sound, regardless of what the mind and body are doing, have an effect on the mind/body?
thanks
seeker

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, like any other "data input", whatever you feed to the brain, it has an effect on it, no matter if it's a mantra or a word interpreted on the level of meaning.

In the first case, humming a mantra - you can try to chant OM and see what effect it has... with some ecstatic conductivity it will be felt even more.

If you just say the mantra and let your mind wander, I don't observe the mind becoming quieter. For that to happen, you'd have to follow the procedure of always coming back to the mantra.

It always depends on what objective you're trying to achieve and optimize the methods for that. The physical sound always has some effect, but I think there are not many effective methods to use it for purification of the nervous system.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000