Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Transparency of Ego
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  02:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It's interesting to me (this ego) to consider that "the ego" or the identification as a separate self is a phantom and has no solidity whatsoever. That it has no independant existence at all.

There appears to be a continuity of a person, an ego, that is identified as a collection of attributes, like a thing with a stream of history of likes and dislikes that builds itself through thoughts and memories of the energetic experience of the organism's involvement with energies outside of the percieved boundaries of the organism. I guess that kind of explains a person.

But there is something not quite right to me about that being accurate.

First, does the organism really have a boundary? Where does it stop and the world begin? How can the seemingly separate body exist without the larger body that feeds it? How can there be an individual experience without the world that is experienced through the senses? The organism is also the outer world. There is no true boundary.

Second, is there really an experience of a stream of time that leads from moment to moment? If so, where is this place called the past? Where does it exist? Even if we say the past happened, it now only exists as thought, a memory of energetic exchanges. Thoughts associated to feelings connected to sensual energy. These thoughts only exist now. And now. They change always. My memories are never concrete and stable, they have changed from the get-go. They originate in a singular point of perception colored by other perceptions.

So the ego is nothing more than a collection of thoughts, which have stability only in relation to other thoughts.

That is all the power an ego actually has. It is merely a phantom dependent upon attention. Relax attention from thought and the ego falls away.

And what remains is timeless and boundless.

Edited by - Balance on Apr 03 2008 03:14:57 AM

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  03:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
:)
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  7:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the sharing Alan, I see this too, the perceiver and the perceiving are one and the ego falls away the more we dwell (with our attention)in the reality of the here and now.

Edited by - Anthem on Apr 03 2008 7:35:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  9:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ego happens.

Awareness is.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000