AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 wondering if there is a sanskrit yoga term for
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paw

52 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  9:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit paw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
a bandha of pulling the testicles inward during sitting practice, either rhythmically or steadily?

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Paw,
quote:

wondering if there is a sanskrit yoga term for a bandha of pulling the testicles inward during sitting practice, either rhythmically or steadily?

There isn't yet... you could always invent one.

I think there isn't because it isn't really very useful. Contraction of the anus and inner pubic region (mulabhanda/ ashvini mudra) is useful as it directly activates the root chakra and at the same time gently encourages prana to rise upwards through the body. Drawing the testes upwards and inwards doesn't have the same effect at all.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  9:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
While I don't know of a sanskrit/yoga term, it's pretty close to vajroli mudra. Sort of a constituent step.

FWIW the Taoists definitely focus on this move as a foundation in drawing sexual energy upward.
Go to Top of Page

thomas

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  12:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,
quote:
I think there isn't because it isn't really very useful. Contraction of the anus and inner pubic region (mulabhanda/ ashvini mudra) is useful as it directly activates the root chakra and at the same time gently encourages prana to rise upwards through the body. Drawing the testes upwards and inwards doesn't have the same effect at all.
It's true that drawing the testes upwards and inwards does not have the same effect as mulabhanda/ashvini mudra by itself. However, when it is done in conjunction with or sometimes with the mulabhanda/ashvini mudra (as Jim mentioned similar to vajroli mudra), for me, it brings additional sexual energy into the sushumna that mixes with the prana and kundalini(if awakened) adding a new quality and effect to the practice. The nature of the mix not only feels different as it rises up the sushumna but seems to have a deeper more penetrating effect on the brain and inner glands of the brain (pituitary, pineal, etc). Perhaps, this happens anyway when the kundalini, sexual energy and everything is fully awakened and flowing properly. So, what I am describing may refer to an earlier stage in the process when the kundalini is awakened but not yet fully integrated and working with the sexual energy in a more complete fashion that may come naturally with further unfoldment.

Thomas

Edited by - thomas on Apr 04 2008 10:58:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  2:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Thomas,
quote:
It's true that drawing the testes upwards and inwards does not have the same effect as mulabhanda/ashvini mudra by itself. However, when it is done in conjunction with or sometimes with the mulabhanda/ashvini mudra (as Jim mentioned similar to vajroli mudra), for me, it brings additional sexual energy into the sushumna that mixes with the prana and kundalini(if awakened) adding a new quality and effect to the practice. The nature of the mix not only feels different as it rises up the sushumna but seems to have a deeper more penetrating effect on the brain and inner glands of the brain (pituitary, pineal, etc). Perhaps, this happens anyway when the kundalini, sexual energy and everything is fully awakened and flowing properly. So, what I am describing may refer to an earlier stage in the process when the kundalini is awakened but not yet fully integrated and working with the sexual energy in a more complete fashion that may come naturally with further unfoldment.

Now that you mention it, I have at times noticed that in samadhi, when I bring my attention to the crown chakra, sometimes my testicles begin to move (rotate) and to be drawn upward. It is a very strange feeling that I had never experienced before. When this has happened it has not been associated with any sexual feelings.
You may be on to something. Maybe all the lads on the forum could give this a try and report back here. I will definately give it a go and add it to my mulabandha practice. Thanks for the advice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  3:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

paw

52 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  9:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit paw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the info all, yes vajroli mudra is a good term for this, at least the testicle muscles are involved in vajroli.

I also have positive results with this tek. I have previously had good results bringing energy up with extreme tribanda and rechaka kumbakha. Especially after tantra practice, if I have residual fluid and energy in the pelvis, this works to return to baseline. But it also works at the start of dhyana practice, after spinal breathing and mahamudra. After a minute or more of vajroli, relaxation comes easily.

When I move the perineum pull forward and up to the genitals and hold, the effects are greater. And when I isolate just the testicles while holding mulabanda, and pull them slightly in, over and over, the energy flows smoothly and soothes and relaxes the entire nervous system. There is much less tension in the muscles generally with this than with mulabanda, and less motion referred to other parts of the body, especially when compared with asvini mudra. It's a delicate maneuver, but seems to be effective, for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000