Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 khechari
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mantis

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  4:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit mantis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
so after reading about khechari extensively i have come to wonder if the only reason i can't do it is because i don't know how to. i can move my tongue to touch the squishy soft palette (approximately where your last tooth would be) any farther proves to be futile. however, i have read here more than once that the case usually isn't the tongue being too short or the frenum (i appear to have a very small frenum, although i don't have anything to compare it to) but the ability in finding the spot.

are there any tips or general advice to get my tongue in?

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  6:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Mantis, and welcome to the forum.

I don't know if I got you right, but if you can reach the point where the hard palate meets the soft palate you are already doing kechari step 1. Congratulations. There is no need to go further by force. You should - if you are building up some stillness in deep meditation - be able to feel the difference in energies between having and not having your tounge there. Play with it and slowly draw your tounge from the front and as far back as you can and see if you can feel any sensations at any point. When you feel a "something" - I'd say that's the spot you're looking for.

For how long have you been practicing AYP meditation? If it's very newly begun, it may take a while before any clear effects of kechari can be noticed! Patience, trust and bhakti is the medicine if that is the case.

Step 2 and further may come naturally as you progress in stillness, or you may later notice that your anatomy is not willing enough and may need some physical outer adjustments.

I also want to mention, it is not necessary to do kechari at all or enter higher stages of kechari to develop spiritually. Some are drawn to it, others not...

Edited by - emc on Mar 29 2008 6:59:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

mantis

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  12:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit mantis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello emc,

i have been able to keep my tongue up there for a while, a friend online told me to keep my tongue behind the teeth while meditating to keep my energies cool and it's been a habit ever since so going into khechari 1 was no problem. if i sway my tongue up and down the palette there seems to be kind of a... this is so hard to explain! if i where to draw it it'd be something similar to

____/

it feels like my tongue goes up and theres a weird indentation near there... i can't keep my tongue up that high for long though.

this is my 2nd day of AYP. i have been meditating consistently for about 8 months now but it was more of a just sit meditation, not from a system.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  05:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mantis,

I'm glad to hear you are trying the AYP meditation. It's a very good start if you already can do kechari step 1. If you can just hold the tip of your tounge just where the soft and hard palates meet, that's enough. If you play with pushing the soft palate up and down you can stimulate energies more, but if you play around with it during meditation you will easily be distracted and loose focus on the mantra. It would, as you say, also be tiresome to keep the tounge up with muscle force in a high position pressuring the soft palate upwards. It's enough to just touch it with the tip of the tounge, and then you can relax and focus on the mantra.

My suggestion would be to keep it there, in step 1, for a while longer and see the effects of it and the meditation. Then, if you listen to your inner guru, you will get a call when it's time for step 2.

Edited by - emc on Mar 30 2008 05:37:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000