Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 stomach knot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougSmith2

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  11:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit DougSmith2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am really focusing on my pranayama currently. I really want to get it going. I just finished the AYP little book. Enjoyed it greatly. Its going good I'd say. Experiencing some pretty strong physical movements. I sit in a chair and seem to want to bounce up and down. Its pretty wild. Once it starts after about 5-7 minutes, I just let it happen and then move on to meditation. After my practice I enjoy just lying down for 10-15 minutes and just rest with mind being pretty clear. Recently Ive been feeling a sensation of a knot in my stomach around my navel. I can also feel my heart beating really strong in that area. Just found this to be interested. Wondering if its common. Also, occasionally some days, out of no where, Ill feel a slight sensation near my root and my eyes will want to cross. It's real weak but I do notice it happening. Kinda blows my mind. This pranayama is pretty neat stuff.

Edited by - DougSmith2 on Apr 09 2008 11:59:24 PM

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  01:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, I have the beating in the stomach too. It's a bit on the left side maybe just a bit below my belly button. I can actually see my pulse there.

I've read a few different things about this here and there. I think most dealth with finding your navel chakra (it's been a while). Supposodly the beating can move around some as your practice unfolds.
Go to Top of Page

DougSmith2

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  12:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit DougSmith2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, this is the first time ive ever really felt my heart beat in any other place besides the heart area, unless im taking my pulse or so. a little strange.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  5:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DougSmith2

Recently Ive been feeling a sensation of a knot in my stomach around my navel. I can also feel my heart beating really strong in that area. Just found this to be interested. Wondering if its common.

Hi Doug.
Welcome to the forum.

Yogani's lesson Lesson 276 - Granthis – The Three Knots may help you understand the knot you are experiencing.
quote:
Granthi means "knot," and it is a good word to describe the energy blockages we have all experienced in our nervous system at one time or other. Traditionally, the granthis are numbered at three, covering three regions of our spiritual neurology.

Brahma Granthi – in the pelvic region, including the root.

Vishnu Granthi – in the center region, extending from navel to heart
and throat.

Rudra Granthi – in the head, including the third eye and crown.

In AYP we are well familiar with the processes of purification that
occur in these areas. In fact, we have discussed them extensively
from the point of view of practices and experiences of purification
and opening – untying the knots, so to speak.

The granthis are a generalized characterization of the things we have been talking about all along. They are personified with deities in the Indian system for the purpose of ritual, just as the chakras are imbued with deities for the same reason. If our religious orientation is toward such deities, this is very good. If not, we are not limited in what we can accomplish with the tools of yoga. The bhakti necessary to continue doing effective yoga practices on a daily basis for as long as it takes to achieve the desired result will be bhakti enough.

As you know, in AYP we rely on our yoga practices for purification and opening of the nervous system, and consider chakras to be "under the hood" in that overall process. We can regard the granthis in just the same way. They are a compilation of chakras and their connecting spiritual neurology into three zones, and all of this is under the hood in AYP.

Our focus is on the practices that will cultivate human spiritual
transformation. It is interesting to note that without much special
attention on chakras, granthis, or other representations of our
spiritual neurology, we have evolved a system of practices here that
covers the full range of them all. We have done so simply by using
common sense in observing causes and effects with our practices.
Especially important, once we have the practices, we utilize self-
pacing, which is the ultimate application of common sense in yoga.

We have deep meditation and spinal breathing for "global"
purification and opening within us – that means these two practices
cover the full range of our nervous system, and beyond. We have
mulabandha/asvini, siddhasana and tantric methods, which target the pelvic region. We have sambhavi and kechari to stimulate openings in the head. We have uddiyana, nauli, and, more recently, navi kriya for the central region, and moving up. Chin pump straddles the head and lower regions, giving us a special focus on opening the important gateway of the throat and cervical area of the spine.

Then there are samyama, yoni mudra kumbhaka, spinal bastrika (able to be targeted), asanas and other means we have discussed that can move consciousness and energy through the many pathways leading to further opening and stabilization of inner silence and ecstatic bliss within us. In the end, we become a pure channel of divine love in the world – no more knots.

All of which is to say, that by focusing on the practices, we will go
far in addressing the traditional structures (chakras, granthis, etc.) that have been assigned to the human nervous system for the
purpose of mapping and assisting in our spiritual awakening.

From our point of view, the map is not the enlightenment itself. The practices and the results within us that fulfill the purpose of the
map are the enlightenment.

As Yogani has explained above " We have uddiyana, nauli, and, more recently, navi kriya for the central region, and moving up.".
Going by what you have written in your first post, you either do sambhavi and/or have been experiencing automatic sambhavi ("my eyes will want to cross"). If you have been doing sambhavi and mulabandha you could add uddiyana and/or nauli to your routine. Of course please ignore this if you have not added sambhavi and mulabandha to your practice yet.. or have added something new recently or are not feeling too stable in your practice. (It maybe too early to and navi kriya).

Also adding some light asanas before your sitting practice may help.

Hope this helps.
And as always listen to your inner guru.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000