Enlightenment Milestones
 mind went silent for 1.5 days
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  2:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

About 2 weeks ago after watching a bunch of satsang videos on youtube by adyashanti, tolle and mooji I was in a very quiet state. I did some self-inquiry and turned the silence to become aware of itself and something "clicked" in me and I was left staring with no thought for quite a while, unable to move my gaze.

It shifted something and all thoughts dropped away. All my actions came from the stillness and any thoughts that did arise were seen as far away objects that did not affect me.

This state lasted about 1.5 days. It didn't hold up in day to day interaction with the world. It did leave some kind of permanent effect on me though, it is much easier to shift back to stillness and the witness is unfolding more each day.

Before then I was not doing any daily practices at all, but I was suddenly drawn to e-mail yogani and also start daily sadhana. I'd found the AYP site several years ago but every time before then that I'd tried doing daily practices I didn't stick with it for more than a week at a time (tried 3 times I think). Something has shifted in me now and I just can't wait to meditate every day now!

I am wondering if anyone can comment on the experience I described above, so I can better understand it.

Thank you very much and ~ Namaste ~

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  5:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are the Stillness. Did you recognize this...or was there still a subject and object?

Once you recognize the Self...there is no problem interacting with the world. There is nothing to loose...or gain.

As for practices, after realizing the Self - some stop all practices and meditation...some start...some do not change what they were doing. It does not really matter.

Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  6:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A good experience, yes, but still an experience :) It's best to use that as fuel to start and keep up your daily practice so you'll be able to cultivate this as your normal, everyday experience. Maybe you've realized something, that's good, but there are highs and lows in realization as in anything else. The nervous system is a highly variable environment, states of consciousness come and go, we stabilize ourselves in what's beyond. Keep it up, enjoy :)
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  7:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stillness,
When I practiced TM in the mid 70's I experienced this state immediately upon my first meditation and it lasted for 2 weeks constantly.In the mornings I would wake up and jump out of bed immediately totally awake. When others were speaking it seemed to be from a distance and if anyone spoke badly to me I simply smiled and ignored it.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  7:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies everyone. :)

I don't think i recognized myself as the stillness, not on a deep enough level anyways.

I am just so glad it happened because now I have so much desire to do daily meditation, I never could do it before.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  8:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In myself, I seem to notice a growing stillness, sometimes affecting different aspects of my daily life.

For example, for a few days I had started doing a meditation (that I got from Osho) which involves, with nothing but candle light, staring at your eyes\face in a mirror without blinking for about 40 mins. The candle must not be visible in the mirror.

It temporarily changed the way I saw the world. For a day or so, everything I looked at had this quality of "pure unattached curiosity". It's hard to explain, but I finally understood that certain look often common to enlightened folks. This might help explain it a bit... my pregnant friend, I looked over her stomach and breasts, she smiled at me, my look was purely innocent, we both knew this without having to say anything about it. Imagine looking at a womans breasts and having her respect for you grow... haha. (not that I think enjoying a womans beauty is a bad thing... which is in a way, exactly my point. It's the attachment to it that can muddle things).

I get moments of the same thing seemingly more often lately, sometimes covering thought, sometimes it's like everything all at once. Before yesterday, I was looking at pics on DeviantArt.com (kickass website for posting all kinds of visual art) , somebody had a picture of a beautiful girl laying in a field, with the caption "A snake is crawling up my dress, and i'm letting it". It seemed almost sexual at first, then it dawned on me, it's simply about let-go, and for the next couple hours, everything in the world seemed perfect. It felt like something awakened in me. It all just seemed so perfect. I did some piano practice, It was probably most enjoyable piano practice session ever, where I was just content to improvise over some jazz tunes, just let-go, see what happens, enjoy the whole process, enjoy the mistakes, enjoy the cool sounds that came up, the learning... :).

Long story short... I imagine it's all just part of the process of purification, funny thing, the more I hold on to these experiences and other things that have "happened" during meditation, the more I know I'm struggling with the now moment. They're neat spiritual stories I guess though :) haha. Definetly good memories to keep my ass on track. I think Osho said something along the lines of "just a taste is enough to awaken the seeker in you".
Go to Top of Page

stillness

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  08:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit stillness's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Divineis, I used to do that staring in the mirror thing but didn't know it was considered a type of meditation. I would just watch my face and it would turn into a bunch of other faces I had never seen before and spook me a bit!

I also have done it with a friend except that instead of looking in the mirror we would look at each other's faces.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000