Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 how do you know there is a "block"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  9:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
ok, quick question for you guys.

when i do pranayama i feel like i am getting the hang of it and sometmes get some sensation. anyway, with the visualizing part of it i find there are blank spots or weak spots where i cant seem to visualize it sucessfully. i dont know whether this is an anatomical ignorance or what. i find the absent spot in my lower back when leaving the perineum. its like when it gets below the chest the sensation and visualizing gets really weak until it hits the perineum. so when you guys talk of "blockages" is it possible to detect this from visualization alone like i described?

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  03:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it comes with time. One thing I sometimes do before meditation or energy work is to bring my focus to every part of my body, it helps ground me, get in my body.

You can bring this practice to just your back. Even run your hand across your spine if you have trouble locating any parts of it.

I'd do this for my whole body when I showered sometimes too, really focusing on the feeling of every part of my body as I washed. Even naming them as I went through the habitual process of washing... I think it helps organize your mind with the different parts, their locations and corresponding feelings\nerve connections.

Your perception will gradually move from the gross to the subtle, and continually refine itself.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  2:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,
Yep, I think it is a block.. that is what I have heard people describe it as at the forum and I have experienced this too. This thread may help.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  2:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony:

We are not looking for particular blocks, sensations or experiences along the spinal nerve during spinal breathing pranayama. We travel up and down with the breath between root and brow, and that is it. If we have places where we tend to get stuck or distracted, it is best to pass through those areas and continue our journey up and down between root and brow. It is much more important to end up at the brow on completion of inhalation and at the root at the completion of exhalation than to be focusing on particular characteristics of the spinal nerve along the way. These will purify and open naturally with steady practice over time, not necessarily by focusing on them for our own reasons.

In time, the pathway becomes clear and enlivened. It does not happen by "drilling down" in specific locations. It happens by "passing through" without analysis of what is happening along the way. The procedure is simple and we favor it over the experiences that may come up -- very similar to the procedure of favoring the mantra in deep meditation. This is covered in detail in the Spinal Breathing Pranayama book.

The most complicated thing about spinal breathing (and deep meditation too) is our tendency to make it complicated. In time we learn to stay with the simple procedure day after day and let it go. That is when the most progress will be occurring.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  10:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Anthony:

We are not looking for particular blocks, sensations or experiences along the spinal nerve during spinal breathing pranayama. We travel up and down with the breath between root and brow, and that is it. If we have places where we tend to get stuck or distracted, it is best to pass through those areas and continue our journey up and down between root and brow. It is much more important to end up at the brow on completion of inhalation and at the root at the completion of exhalation than to be focusing on particular characteristics of the spinal nerve along the way. These will purify and open naturally with steady practice over time, not necessarily by focusing on them for our own reasons.

Hi Yogani,

I just wanted to say thank you for this post of yours which I find very helpful in avoiding the mind tendency (which is a master of justifying its motives) to get involved in the process of practice. I've noticed my mind wanting to dwell in some areas along the spinal nerve recently where I perceive blockages and actively try to clear them out.

I found this part particularly helpful:

It does not happen by "drilling down" in specific locations. It happens by "passing through" without analysis of what is happening along the way.

This is so consistent with all of yoga, dissipating energy in a particular area by passing through without attachment. Feels great to pass through these areas in the spinal nerve without emotional resistance. Maybe one for the new AYP Easy lessons book volume 2?

I had a very easy and enjoyable pair of practices today with one less mental tendency.

thanks!

A

Edited by - Anthem on Mar 16 2008 10:10:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000