Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Beginner question - overdoing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sapling

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  4:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit sapling's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing deep meditation, 20 mins x 2 (by iteself), for about 4 months. Recently, I've experienced abrupt changes in state as I'm meditating. Rather than realizing I'm off the mantra and gently returning to it, my thoughts just stop. I just seem to instantly be in a quiet space, very alert (almost bugeyed :-), no mantra, thoughts, emotions or "scenery'. I have to wait until the attention subsides and gets "fuzzy" before I can return to the mantra.

The funny thing is that the same thing started happening when I'm going to sleep. I'll be happily drifting off when all of a sudden - wham! - same state and wide awake. When this happens 2 or 3 times in a row, it's pretty much game over for going to sleep for a while.

I take this as a good sign that "things" are working :-) but I'm wondering if this a sign that I might be overdoing things?

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2008 :  4:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The experience in meditation does look positive Sapling. (LOL, when I use some people's handles I feel that they are designed to make me sound condescending . How can you call someone Sapling and not sound condescending? ).

Anyway, regarding the falling asleep at night thing, I don't think it's much of a concern unless it proves significantly disruptive. There is a strong connection between meditation and sleep. I believe your body integrates its meditation experiences during sleep. If it led to significant recurrent problems falling asleep, I'd be inclined to self-pace on it. But if it's a manageable event with little else going on, I'd stick to the current program. It's all a matter of scale.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  05:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum sapling.

Keep up the good work
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  1:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it's a good sign, overdoing is having early awakening's and openings and visions and sort of time to time sidhis ect and can't control all that stuff like my case lolz where it gets a little bit overwhelming some times and uneasy going and not happening at the right time.

but thx to the exercises here it hasn't been since 4 or 5 days that i've been practising the pranayama spinal breathing and the mantra i am that i got on the balance again in a short while and a lot of the things now are under control and easy going on since 4 or 5 days only lolz after the practice of 3 years of meditation.

really great stuff yogani has presented us here god bless him.

best wishes

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2008 :  4:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
really great stuff yogani has presented us here god bless him.

I second that Ananda I was in a complete mess before I found AYP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000