Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Metaphor For Gently Favoring The Mantra?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dwayne

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  12:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dwayne's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If my mind was a pool of water, gently returning to the mantra without causing any ripples.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hello everyone. Great forum, lots of information, glad I found it.

I am new so I'll keep it short. I want to post a thought every now and then so I can look back as time goes on.

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  07:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dwayne,

Welcome to the forum! We're equally glad you found it! Yes, the gentle favoring is like not causing ripples in the pool of water! Nice metaphore!

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like it Dwayne welcome to the forum
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  10:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dwayne:

So glad you found AYP. Have you had a chance to read any of the lessons? " Why This Discussion" in the Main Lessons is a great starting point.

All the Best:

Guy
Go to Top of Page

Dwayne

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  10:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dwayne's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone,

Thanks for responding. It is wonderful to have a place where feedback is available.

Guy: yes, I have read through the Advanced Yoga Practices - Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living. I am currently practicing meditation and breathing. I have read through these portions of the book many times. Thanks for asking, and for pointing me to the appropriate area of the forum.

I am looking forward to slowly adding more practices.

There's so much information available on this forum. I mostly have been searching on keywords and reading the posts that come up.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  11:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dwayne, welcome to AYP.

If my mind was a pool of water, gently returning to the mantra without causing any ripples.

Well, I wouldn't give those ideas as instructions to everyone, because some people would obsessively turn 'not causing any ripples' into an extra job; an additional set of requirements for what the mind has to do to 'get the meditation done right'.

But provided you don't make that mistake, you should be OK with that idea.

Go to Top of Page

Dwayne

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  12:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dwayne's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello David,

Good to point out it's not instruction, and that it is simply a personal observation.

I'm still feeling my way around, and appreciate the feedback I've received.

Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  9:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dwayne,

Welcome and thanks for posting your thoughts. It's wonderful how a few well-chosen words can help us in our practice.

Your words reminded me of this poem I love. I keep coming back to it and its meaning evolves with my practice:

Hut Upon the Peak

The elegant taste
of the renouncer of the world
clearly is supreme
it seems that a boat launches forth
on a sea whose waves are stilled

It seems a boat launches forth
on a sea whose waves are stilled
in the morning calm
no trace remains across the sky
of last night's clouds

In the morning calm
no trace remains across the sky
of last night's clouds
peaks ring the distance on all sides
pure with the snow that covers all

Peaks ring the distance on all sides
pure with the snow that covers all
the leaves are fallen
but at the hut upon the peak
there is more to live for

The leaves are fallen
but at the hut upon the peak
there is more to live for
the voice of the wind in pines
makes the solitude familiar

from "A Hundred Stanzas by Three Poets at Minase" in Japanese Linked Poetry by Earl Milner

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  07:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey dwayne i'm new to the site as well, but i got a tell you if you are on the seek for enlightenment then you've hit the jack pot this site is simply the best there isto help you on the way.

everything has an answer here.

welcome and i wish u all the best.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000