Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Purification
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  10:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In Lesson 51 Yogani talked about a specific example of purification, the gases which accumulate when we practice advanced yoga practices. Since I began pranayama I have experienced strong symptoms of "the cauldron": some gurglings in my belly, but almost immediate flatulence and unusual activity in my lower intestine (I'm trying to be delicate here). Even my excrement has been affected and ... well, let's just say I've been very glad to get my business done and get the heck out of the bathroom. Have you ever noticed how when you're sick it affects your bowels and excrement? It's was like that for me for several months. It's just now - thank goodness - passing.

Yogani has several times in the lessons warned of not looking under the hood and just concentrating on the practice. Despite this I did some research because if I know that I'm making progress (i.e. purification is having specific results) it will help with my bhatki/motivation.

"The cauldron" is also known as Manipura, or the third chakra. "It is positioned at the navel region and it has ten petals which match the vrittis [tendencies] of spiritual ignorance, thirst, jealousy, treachery, shame, fear, disgust, delusion, foolishness and sadness." It makes sense, coming from a Western psychiatric viewpoint, that directly addressing these tendencies (or karmic traces) would help resolve the unconscious thoughts behind out behavior. Purification.

"Manipura is said to be associated with the pancreas, and the outer adrenal glands, the adrenal cortex. These glands create important hormones involved in digestion, converting food into energy for the body, in the same way that Manipura radiates prana throughout the body. In Chinese qigong, there exists 3 Dantians, which distribute and regulate Qi energy (a concept similar to Indian Prana). The lower Dantian exists in the region of the stomach."

It has been suggested to me that the words "energy" and "attention", in the context of AYP, are synonymous. As we move our attention up the spine, we move energy, and stuff starts to happen in our digestive system. Now that I understand pranayama, Manipura, prana and karma this not only makes sense but I'm proof to myself that that the method is efficacious. The mental, physical and spritual are all connected and I can prove this to myself simply by practicing AYP and paying attention to my body.

One other quite dramatic effect of the practice is that I experience very loud cracks in my neck immediately afterwards. Sometimes - I don't know if it's the noise, the dramatic suddenness of the crack! or fear of the unknown - they really shake me up. One of the reasons joints crack is the release of gas in the synovial fluid. Aah, more gas! More prana. This symptom began occurring after the Manipura, which hopefully is a good sign of prana moving up the spine, the whole point of pranayama.

Recently I began to feel the energy moving up to the top of my head. I released the energy by envisioning an umbilical cord attached to my head and stretching up to the heavens. I'm headed into uncharted territory so I suppose it's time to go on to the next lessons.

I'd appreciate anyone's experience with the purification process. I've searched in the AYP Forums for "purification symptoms" but there are so many incredibly well-written, profound posts here that I haven't been able to get far. You guys are amazing! Thank you.

aum namaste,
Joe

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  05:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Joe,

Namaste. Good progress...I've experienced the same things!

I wouldn't release the energy out of the head. I would reverse the flow and have it flow out of my feet. I know this seems to go against the natural movement and can feel awkward, but it's better for your health and sanity.

Also, if you ever experience too much bloating, I've found two things which release it fairly well. To "pass gas", you can do the "wind relieving pose", where you lay on your back and bring either one knee or both up to your chest, making the thigh press on the stomach.

To "burp", lay on your back and bring your legs 6" into the air, both feet together. Then make slow circles, 30 seconds each. Do a circle left to right, then right to left...that is one rep. Start at 2 reps, and work your way up to 6. This technique can somewhat stimulate the fire and upward flow, so be careful if you're already getting really hot and having tons of energy flow upwards. But it releases the gases very well, and also creates a lot of the neck cracking.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000