New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi Christi,

I consider J. Krishnamurti my first professor of spirituality. I was seduced by his intellectual prowess, his command of language, and his ability to discuss subjects ranging from education of children, what occupations we should pursue, political situations to the silence between words.

Not familiar with other spiritual teachers, the most important part of discovering Krishnamurti was that for once I could say, this man is speaking from a level of consciousness inhabited by few others. Exploring his work, I couldn't deny the excitement that would be stirring deep with in me and prodding me to exclaim that there is more to life than what I see in our society at large or my life in the personal.

The problem I had was that as inspirational as reading Krishnamurti was, the teachings or non teachings were not able to penetrate my mind or better yet were speaking to my mind. Of course, this has more to do with the state of my mind rather than the teachings. I needed something firmer, something tangible, something that would help me deal with psychological baggage, lack of energy, and bring a sense of calm to the chaos raging in my mind that for all purposes I was completely identified with.

I remember saying Krishnamurti's got it but how do I get it? Ofcourse truth is so much simpler and complicated than that.

I remember stumbling around and don't remember how exactly I found Yogani but I thank my lucky stars every day for this discovery. There is also the strong possiblity that the bhakti catalyzed by krishnamurti is what brought me to Ayp and thus I discount no teacher, however abstract in their teachings.

I remember going through the deep meditation book, and something told the skeptic in me to just shut up. I think it was Yogani's calm, reasoned presentation that balanced equally the fruits of the practice in daily and spiritual life and also gave me a good understanding of what this enlightenment thing was. Just thinking back to this past year can bring me to tears. I can't scarcely imagine what the future holds.

J. Krishnamurti, Adyashanti, Nisargadatta, Ramana, and plenty others whom I have not had the chance to scratch the surface of are inspirational and speaking from the truth. I just happen to think that It would serve most people well to establish a routine in a system like ayp and then or concurrently read/explore the work of these masters. The truth is always the truth but can be interpreted so differently even by the same person along the path of purification and silence.

Ofcourse nothing new in this post but felt that people reading shouldn't get the idea that one teacher is right or wrong or even right or wrong for them. There seems to be a time for all teachings and like many have said, all the paths lead back to home, even the ones that fervently contend that we are already home.

love, light, and peace to all.

p.s Katrine, if you want, I will happily mail you some krishnamurti books. They are overflowing with wisdom. He truly was a intellectual giant and maybe we are not ready to completely understand or appreciate his work yet. I think ayp and other similar scientific systems will help us get there.

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  12:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
was so....so...so...

(remember Shirely Maclain(being the mother of cancer ridden Deborah Winger in the film "Terms of endearment"?)

relieving. (I can't remember what Shirley called it..)

Sorry for rambling....but i just had to tell you:

i was sitting in the middle of dinner when the sentence Shirley said just burst forward into memory. It is kind of a no-no word so better put in blanks:

She said...after having been literally layed (in the movie) after years and years of no such thing(if ever truly).... (she was in her sixties)...by Jack Nocholson:

"I never knew it was so.....so....so.....f**** f**** fantastic!!! And they burst out in laughter....she and her daughter like two girlfriends.

Anyway.....when i remembered....i burst out in laughter too....rice, fish and broccoli flying all over the place...

Now I better clean it up

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  12:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
p.s Katrine, if you want, I will happily mail you some krishnamurti books. They are overflowing with wisdom. He truly was a intellectual giant and maybe we are not ready to completely understand or appreciate his work yet. I think ayp and other similar scientific systems will help us get there.

We posted at the same time, Eitherway.

Would you really do that....that would be fantastic!

the ones I have read are:

"Total freedom"
"On Love and Loneliness"
"On fear"

Go to Top of Page

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  1:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi katrine,

I will definitely see which ones I have (they are in storage but I will be going next weekend)and send you any that you haven't read. Just email me the address you want me to send it to. Take care
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  1:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, thanks for your thoughtful reply.

It's a bit of a sidebar, (though not entirely) on Krishnamurti, but I don't think he was simply criticising the way people meditate. It's much more sweeping than that:

Krishnamurti said:
Another method gives you a certain word and tells you that if you go on repeating it you will have some extraordinary transcendental experience. This is sheer nonsense. It is a form of self-hypnosis. By repeating Amen or Om or Coca-Cola indefinitely you will obviously have a certain experience because by repetition the mind becomes quiet. It is a well known phenomenon which has been practised for thousands of years in India —Mantra Yoga it is called. By repetition you can induce the mind to be gentle and soft but it is still a petty, shoddy, little mind. You might as well put a piece of stick you have picked up in the garden on the mantelpiece and give it a flower every day.

See it in full context here.

I would say Krishnamurti taught like that because he knew no better. If he had known better at the time, he wouldn't have taught that way. He's just showing limitations as all people do.

For sure many people find Krishnamurti to be deeply inspiring. He can be strong in some aspects of his teaching/inspirational life while being weak or even a little backward-moving in others. As I see it, that's the nature of the game.

It may be true that Krishnamurti's teachings will be better understood at some point. All I can say is I don't know. But I think it is part of humanities learning process to know where he was getting it wrong, and where therefore we need to depart from what he said.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Feb 10 2008 1:50:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  2:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eitherway

I remember saying Krishnamurti's got it but how do I get it? Of course truth is so much simpler and complicated than that.

Hi Eitherway:

This is the central question and topic of discussion in the AYP Self-Inquiry book. How to travel from Inspiration to Realization?

It is about so much more than simply saying it. And, at the same time, so much less if systematic means are applied.

It is my hope that the little Self-Inquiry book will be a useful companion to self-inquirers of every persuasion, and also be a reasonably practical introduction to the subject for just about anyone. More clarity in this field is much needed.

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

One thing we do know is that Krishnamurti said that humanity would not be ready to understand his teachings for another 50 years. I don’t remember the exact date that he said that, but it was probably about 49 years ago.

Our 50 years are up!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  02:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,

quote:
It's a bit of a sidebar, (though not entirely) on Krishnamurti, but I don't think he was simply criticising the way people meditate. It's much more sweeping than that:

Krishnamurti said:
Another method gives you a certain word and tells you that if you go on repeating it you will have some extraordinary transcendental experience. This is sheer nonsense. It is a form of self-hypnosis. By repeating Amen or Om or Coca-Cola indefinitely you will obviously have a certain experience because by repetition the mind becomes quiet. It is a well known phenomenon which has been practised for thousands of years in India —Mantra Yoga it is called. By repetition you can induce the mind to be gentle and soft but it is still a petty, shoddy, little mind. You might as well put a piece of stick you have picked up in the garden on the mantelpiece and give it a flower every day.

See it in full context here.

I would say Krishnamurti taught like that because he knew no better. If he had known better at the time, he wouldn't have taught that way. He's just showing limitations as all people do.

This is an interesting question: What is the usefulness of continuous mantra repetition (japa) in yoga? Krishnamurti has made his position clear… that it does bring about a kind of silence in the mind, but that it is not a useful practice. I do not know if Krishnamurti ever did this practice, but I suspect not.

Interestingly, S.N. Goenka (the famous vipassana meditation teacher) did do this practice, and he says exactly the same thing. He also said that it produced in him a kind of self-induced hypnotic state, in which the mind was silent, but that he felt that it was just a numb state, and not at all useful for meditation. He advised his students strongly against doing it, and even said that if they did it, he wouldn’t teach them.

I have never tried this practice myself, but I have to admit that, judging on what I have seen in others, I would tend to agree with Krishnamurti and Goenka here. I have seen many people practice continuous mantra repetition for years, and they do seem to end up in this kind of numb, self-hypnotized state. They also often seem to become particularly attached to specific belief systems that seem to cloud their minds. They often want me to chant their mantra all the time, and to believe their belief system, whatever it is.

Here is Brian Haynes on the subject of continuous mantra repetition:

quote:
Ever since I started studying yoga and meditation in 1969, for the past thirty-five years I’ve engaged in some sort of mantra repetition. You know, the repeating over and over of some word or words in order to still the mind. A well-known Christian mantra is “Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me.” The most famous Hindu mantra is “Om,” or “Aum.” In the ‘70s you couldn’t go to the airport without hearing “Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare, Hare.”
I’m still trying to figure out what a mantra is good for, which probably shows that I haven’t learned much, spiritually speaking, in those thirty-five years. Or, maybe I have. I’ve mantra’d away like crazy for months on end, and I’ve let the mantra slide for months on end. And in the end? I seem to be the same Brian I was before.
I’m beginning to suspect that a single thought (which describes a mantra, using “thought” as meaning any self-produced content of consciousness) is still a thought. And the thought of a thing is not that thing. Hence, thinking about thinking takes us farther afield from the simple truth of thinking; and thinking anything at all takes us farther afield from the simple truth of undivided consciousness—or “soul” if you like.

I don’t know what Yogani's stance is on the practice, but I have noticed that continuous mantra repetition (japa) has not made it into the top 20 advanced yoga practices in AYP. I believe he once said that people could do it if they wanted, as long as they didn’t use the AYP mantra, and exercised caution in terms of energy overload.

I think I would just say, don’t do it. I simply haven’t seen enough evidence of its efficacy, and have seen too much evidence of its potential drawbacks.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  02:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,
quote:
What book by Krishnamurti can you recommend? I have read a couple only....

Krishnamurti's notebooks. They were printed in three small volumes... very beautiful. He just wrote about the world as he saw it.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Feb 13 2008 03:02:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  09:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I don’t know what Yogani's stance is on the practice, but I have noticed that continuous mantra repetition (japa) has not made it into the top 20 advanced yoga practices in AYP.

Hi Christi:

That's right, and there is a reason for it. There is a big difference between a "meditation habit" and a "mantra habit." One naturally enlivens our normal daily activity with abiding inner silence, while the other divides our thought process between constant mantra repetition and normal activity (which limits the mantra as a vehicle for cultivating inner silence). People with a mantra habit sometimes have difficulty learning the simple procedure of deep meditation because they are so used to mechanically droning on with mantra during all other activity, giving attention to both (dividing the mind), which is not meditation. This is discussed in the deep meditation book.

Which is not to say continuous japa is not useful for some, but it seems to be a small minority of those who use it.

It boils down to the statistics. We aim for reliable results.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  10:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, I think you want to give maximum credit to various spiritual teachers, and that's a good thing, but when they have made mistakes I think that sometimes leads to your subconsciously modifying what they have said until it can be agreed with. In Krishnamurti's case here, he's making sweeping statements against Mantra Yoga, period. This isn't the only piece of his I've seen it done in. He's dismissive of Mantra Yoga -- all of it -- and that's an unadorned truth that I'm aware of from other contexts. He was known for it. TM was nonsense to him, and that was that. One phrase I believe I remember reading from him was "[] TM and all that nonsense". And the TM technique is the same as our 'Deep Meditation' technique.

You're addressing it as if he is speaking only against continuous mantra repetition, on-and-off the mat, specifically. He isn't. It's always possible to stretch what he said until he's right. You might as well say he is speaking against doing mantra yoga while hanging upside-down from a tree with one leg eating a banana, and agree with him. But you're then addressing what maybe he should have said, not what he said.

Why not recognize his mistakes?

Edited by - david_obsidian on Feb 13 2008 1:20:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  7:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,

quote:
Eitherway wrote:

I consider J. Krishnamurti my first professor of spirituality. I was seduced by his intellectual prowess, his command of language, and his ability to discuss subjects ranging from education of children, what occupations we should pursue, political situations to the silence between words.

Understandable.

Those 3 notebooks mentioned are fascinating. Krishnamurti held audience with many people from all walks of life and these books contain his recollections of these counseling sessions along with his descriptions of the environment he was in at the the time.

Another good one is Think on These Things. It is a compilation of his conversations with kids at his school. I got the most out this one myself.

Best, yb,
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  03:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,
quote:
Christi, I think you want to give maximum credit to various spiritual teachers, and that's a good thing, but when they have made mistakes I think that sometimes leads to your subconsciously modifying what they have said until it can be agreed with.

You're addressing it as if he is speaking only against continuous mantra repetition, on-and-off the mat, specifically. He isn't. It's always possible to stretch what he said until he's right. You might as well say he is speaking against doing mantra yoga while hanging upside-down from a tree with one leg eating a banana, and agree with him. But you're then addressing what maybe he should have said, not what he said.

Why not recognize his mistakes?

Or... sometimes there is a lot of truth in what they say.

Actually, in agreeing with Krishnamurti here, I am going against the advice on mantra repetition given by many other spiritual teachers who I hold in high esteem. Amma is one of them. She does advise continuous mantra repetition. I think in this case, Amma is wrong to give that advice, and it (the practice) is detrimental to the spiritual progress of many of her devotees. I think in the case of the text that you quoted from Krishnamurti it does sound like Krishnamurti is talking about continuous mantra repetition. I don't see any reason to suppose he is talking about anything else.

I am quite happy to say that spiritual teachers are wrong when they are wrong. And I am happy to say that I don't think that what they are doing is helpful, if I think it isn't.

quote:
He's dismissive of Mantra Yoga -- all of it -- and that's an unadorned truth that I'm aware of from other contexts. He was known for it.

It is very unlikely that Krishnamurti was at all familiar with the whole of mantra yoga. It is a big subject, and he had no real reason to be acquainted with it. He didn't study it at any time. I think it would be good to suppose that Krishnamurti thought that mantra yoga was another name for Japa, which is what most people think, even in India. If you think that he knew all about the subject and still was disdainful about it then I would be interested to see the evidence.

quote:
TM was nonsense to him, and that was that. One phrase I believe I remember reading from him was "[] TM and all that nonsense". And the TM technique is the same as our 'Deep Meditation' technique.

I thought that TM used a 7th chakra (crown) mantra to awaken people from the top down and cause maximum instability and danger en route?

I never studied it. I remember coming across advertisements for it when I was young, but they kind of smacked of this "we are young, smart and successful" vibe that just seemed to be a bit weird. A bit like the Jehovah's Witness adverts. I don't know why Krishnamurti thought that TM was nonsense. I think the Maharishi refused to teach in my country, and said some pretty distasteful things about the United Kingdom. That alone makes me wonder if Krishnamurti was right all along.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Feb 14 2008 07:34:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  06:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

quote:
Hi Christi:

That's right, and there is a reason for it. There is a big difference between a "meditation habit" and a "mantra habit." One naturally enlivens our normal daily activity with abiding inner silence, while the other divides our thought process between constant mantra repetition and normal activity (which limits the mantra as a vehicle for cultivating inner silence). People with a mantra habit sometimes have difficulty learning the simple procedure of deep meditation because they are so used to mechanically droning on with mantra during all other activity, giving attention to both (dividing the mind), which is not meditation. This is discussed in the deep meditation book.

Which is not to say continuous japa is not useful for some, but it seems to be a small minority of those who use it.

It boils down to the statistics. We aim for reliable results.

The guru is in you.

Thanks for clarifying that. That is what I had suspected.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  09:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi said:
I think in this case, Amma is wrong to give that advice, and it (the practice) is detrimental to the spiritual progress of many of her devotees.

I don't know. I think your take on Amma's technique here may be a bit too severe. But you could be right that it isn't the best approach around, by any means. I have my doubts that it is 'detrimental to the spiritual progress', though it's true that no technique is good for everyone, including all the techniques we have. I suspect the technique Amma is teaching has considerable value for many people. But, credit to you for saying 'I think' rather than making sweeping pronouncements against the technique Amma is teaching, like Krishnamurti makes.

I thought that TM used a 7th chakra (crown) mantra to awaken people from the top down and cause maximum instability and danger en route?

I don't think so. TM is basically the mantra yoga of the kind we learn here. The mantra I learned from TM is similar to the one Yogani teaches. The method is taught almost identically to the way Yogani teaches it.

Well Christi, considering what you've said, I don't know what Krishnamurti could have said about Mantra Yoga that you would recognize as mistaken. That looks like rationalization to me. It may well be true that for mantra yoga, and for TM, he misunderstood japa. He may indeed have put them all into one pot in his head. But that is just part of his ignorance, and his ignorance is why he shouldn't be making sweeping statements like that. Like I said in the beginning, he spoke like that because he knew no better.

This is the big problem with Krishnamurti's teachings. He makes big sweeping pronouncements without doing his homework. Underneath that is a deeper problem: he didn't seem to think he needed to do his homework. But he needed to do his homework, just like everyone else, if he was not to confound and mislead people.

Actually, it is possible to be a spiritual teacher and not do any homework at all, or not much of it. But then you have to know your domain of competence, stick to your domain of competence, and not over-estimate the scope or nature of your knowledge. The homework that is required of you depends on what you say.

'Celebrity breeds contempt' as Yogani said. It's not simple contempt of course, its an insidious, creeping syndrome of self-overestimation along with everything that goes with that. Spiritual teachers are not fundamentally cursed to enter it if they become famous though -- Ramana Maharshi didn't fall to it, for example, in my opinion anyway. It's SO easy to fall into that as a spiritual teacher though. Your students won't help you keep out of it, in fact, in their immature desires, they want you there and will do all they can to push you there.

One false tendancy against knowing and expressing the truth about yourself and you're dead.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Feb 15 2008 4:06:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  4:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meditation utilizes shraddah (faith) by relying on the unknown. In other words, I don't need do use a thought process to access that unknown part of myself that knows all. I can abstract myself by bypassing the thought process and access this directly. This is using faith to access the unchangeable. This is the Absolute: Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (Guru Deva):

quote:
A follower of Sankara, India's most famous religious teacher, Guru Deva belonged to the Advaita Vedanta tradition of philosophy which teaches that spiritual ignorance or illusion is caused by the superimposition of a false self onto the true self, considered to be ontologically identical with the absolute (brahman). Liberation (moksa) achieved through meditation enables one to distinguish between pure being and worldly phenomena. While true liberation may only be achieved by adepts who follow their masters in a rigorous programme of ascetic disciplines and spiritual techniques, Maharishi realised that some of these techniques could be used to beneficial effect outside the confines of the Advaita Vedanta tradition.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/200...a.obituaries

Whereas self-knowledge utilizes a belief (thought) to express that unknown part of ourselves. I can rely on myself and not tradition, because the mind is changeable and so it seems reasonable, logical, that any real spiritual authority can truly exist, since the mind is progressive and changeable and is unable to contain the uncontainable. One can believe one thing one day and something the next. This is changeable. This is the false self, although it is a reality within itself. Some call this the Universal Mind.

quote:
Krishnamurti denies that an authority can exist; for the mind or psyche is constantly changing and is unique for each individual, so that it cannot possibly be "known" in a definite way, but requires non-accumulative learning or what Krishnamurti calls "self-knowledge." It is thus that Krishnamurti rejects psychology, religion, and philosophy (though he would probably acknowledge the value of logic and the philosophy of science), which proceed by applying thought and language – instruments developed by the brain, utilizing memory, in response to the "outer" or sensory world – to the "inner" or "spiritual" realm.

http://alangullette.com/essays/philo/k_trad.htm

If a person clears away snow from a windshield, why is it still impossible to see who is driving the car? If a person sits within a car and realizes that it was he/she that was driving all along, why is it still impossible for some to see where they are going?

The abstract mind is beneficial to experience the Self. A clear mind is beneficial to express the Self. The Absolute (unchangeable)expresses Itself through the (progressive) Universal Mind.

My pennies worth:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Feb 14 2008 5:29:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  06:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi david,

quote:
I don't think so. TM is basically the mantra yoga of the kind we learn here. The mantra I learned from TM is identical to the one Yogani teaches. The method is taught almost identically to the way Yogani teaches it.

You were given the mantra "I AM" in the TM movement?

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  08:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You were given the mantra "I AM" in the TM movement?

On proper reflection, no, my mistake. The mantra I was given by TM is pronounced more like "I'm" than "I am", so it isn't identical. I believe it has sometimes been phonetically spelt AIM. But it has been as good for me as 'I AM'.

Is this one considered a crown-awakening mantra BTW, one that would be condidered premature and inappropriate for beginners? I'm asking that question sincerely, not argumentatively.....
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  11:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,
quote:
On proper reflection, no, my mistake. The mantra I was given by TM is pronounced more like "I'm" than "I am", so it isn't identical. I believe it has sometimes been phonetically spelt AIM. But it has been as good for me as 'I AM'.

I also use the AIM mantra. I use it as part of OM AIM SHREEM HREEM SARASWATI DEVYE NAMAHA, which is a mantra I often recite during my practices.

quote:
Is this one considered a crown-awakening mantra BTW, one that would be condidered premature and inappropriate for beginners? I'm asking that question sincerely, not argumentatively.....

No, the AIM mantra is not a crown activation mantra, and I believe it is suitable for beginners.

Do you mind me asking... did you then get 2 mantra enhancements, so you ended up with: "SREE OM SREE OM AIM AIM NAMAHA NAMAHA"?

Did you know what mantras other people were given in the TM movement, or was everyone sworn to secrecy?

Christi

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  12:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
At ~19, when I learned TM, I was 'sworn' to secrecy just like everyone else regarding my mantra. I dispensed myself conscienciously of those vows at some point, much as most would if they had ended up swearing themselves to secrecy about what asanas they do, or what vitamins they take.

I had heard about those mantra enhancements from some other people who had dispensed themselves of their vows. I think I tried them a little for a while and I noticed some, but not much difference relative to the mantra by itself. But that doesn't mean that they won't become very appropriate at some point.... maybe that point will be tomorrow...

Christi said:
Did you know what mantras other people were given in the TM movement, or was everyone sworn to secrecy?

I remember some of them but not well. It's very easy to find all the TM mantras on the web though. If you can find one that's considered a crown-opener I'd be curious about it.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Feb 15 2008 1:02:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David:

This lesson covers the influences of the AYP mantra syllables, including the enhancements: http://www.aypsite.org/188.html

The "I" thought (in I AM) naturally resonates the brow, while the "EE" thought (in the SHREE enhancement) naturally resonates the crown. This is not done by physically locating the mantra, just as enliving a tuning fork with another resonant one is not done by pointing the tuning fork at the other. It is accomplished simply by general proximity and natural radiation of resonant vibration, which is how the mantra syllables work also. We don't have to think about it. If we do, then that is off the mantra, and we easily come back.

The guru is in you.

PS: And, oh, the AYP mantra system is not the same as the TM mantra system, though it employs the same underlying principles. Any effective mantra system will, because the principles are universal in all of us. I don't claim AYP to be the last word on this. Mantra technology is subtle and complex, and I am sure deeper understandings for more efficient application will develop in the decades ahead, as more people develop the refined perception necessary to directly perceive "cause and effect" with mantra. In the meantime, we are doing our best to make good use of the technology we have.

We can rely somewhat on ancient traditions and scriptures for mantra technology, but all is subject to verification by direct experience for both effectiveness and practicality in modern times. That is the difference between theory and practice.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  05:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,

quote:
I remember some of them but not well. It's very easy to find all the TM mantras on the web though. If you can find one that's considered a crown-opener I'd be curious about it.

I won't go hunting around on the web right now. But the reason I thought TM used a crown based mantra was because I met an American man once who had also absolved himself of his secrecy vows and told me his TM mantra. I don't remember it exactly, but I am sure part of it went Om Kreem Shreem Hreem Kleem...

I do have a fair bit of the sensitivity to cause and effect that Yogani mentions above in terms of using mantras, and when I heard it I just thought... "Wow, that would blow the top of my head off! " . Yogani mentioned above the effect of the ee frequency on the crown chakra, and you can see how many ee's this man was working with. And yes... he seemed pretty unstable to me.

That's why I thought TM must be a crown first, everything else later meditation system.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Feb 18 2008 05:26:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  05:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
quote:
And, oh, the AYP mantra system is not the same as the TM mantra system, though it employs the same underlying principles. Any effective mantra system will, because the principles are universal in all of us. I don't claim AYP to be the last word on this. Mantra technology is subtle and complex, and I am sure deeper understandings for more efficient application will develop in the decades ahead, as more people develop the refined perception necessary to directly perceive "cause and effect" with mantra. In the meantime, we are doing our best to make good use of the technology we have.

We can rely somewhat on ancient traditions and scriptures for mantra technology, but all is subject to verification by direct experience for both effectiveness and practicality in modern times. That is the difference between theory and practice.

You mention in the main lessons that OM is not a suitable mantra for beginners. I was just wondering... why isn't it? Is it also a crown mantra?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  4:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

You mention in the main lessons that OM is not a suitable mantra for beginners. I was just wondering... why isn't it? Is it also a crown mantra?

Hi Christi:

There is some discussion on this here: http://www.aypsite.org/59.html

In the language of the lesson, OM is "circular" and expansive in the energetic sense, and can lead to premature energy awakening if used in deep meditation by beginners. It is not a crown mantra (it activates the medulla oblongata/brain stem), but can contribute to crown activation as part of whole body energy awakening. This is why it is used in the second mantra enhancement in AYP, after initial purification and opening have been achieved with the I AM mantra and the first enhancement. It takes some time to shift to that higher gear.

This does not mean that OM is not appropriete for the traditional uses we are all familiar with.

However, deep meditation is a whole different thing, where mantra influences are multiplied many times over, so the initial mantra used and the way in which the enhancements are added over time are pretty important. Obviously, self-pacing in this long term process is important too. This is discussed in detail in the mantra enhancement lessons -- see "Mantra" in the topic index: http://www.aypsite.org/TopicIndex.html
In the AYP Easy Lessons book, the mantra enhancements are taken a little further.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  1:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: This topic has been split from the Adyashanti topic here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3425
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  3:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Thank you all for the Krishnamurti recommendations.

I searched Utube yesterday......and ended up watching some Krishnamurti videos.

His eyes.....had me smiling the whole time. The clarity pouring through them.........it was just....it left me stunned.

I sat there afterwards.....in the presence. And it just dawned on me why the relief is so great:

It is not that the mirror is clear.....it is not that.

It is simply that there is no mirror in the first place.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  06:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
quote:

Hi Christi:

There is some discussion on this here: http://www.aypsite.org/59.html

In the language of the lesson, OM is "circular" and expansive in the energetic sense, and can lead to premature energy awakening if used in deep meditation by beginners. It is not a crown mantra (it activates the medulla oblongata/brain stem), but can contribute to crown activation as part of whole body energy awakening. This is why it is used in the second mantra enhancement in AYP, after initial purification and opening have been achieved with the I AM mantra and the first enhancement. It takes some time to shift to that higher gear.

Thanks for clarifying that. It is interesting because although I do feel the effect of some mantras resonating in the subtle nervous system, I have never felt the effect of the OM mantra. Despite the fact that it is supposed to be the mantra of mantras.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000