Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Kava the alcohol alternative!?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gnosis

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  4:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gnosis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone ever tried kava before? If not I think it is worth a shot, not pun intended. Since I no longer drink alcohol because I believe it is a damaging and addictive substance, I have looked for non addictive non damaging substitutes during social situations. Since marijuana is illegal and can have side effects, I think kava is a legal much safer and even beneficial root.

I think I have found the ideal alternative to alcohol for yogis. Kava has been used in the Polynesian culture for 3,000 years with no side effects known. Kava has been known to reduce depression, anxiety, and insomnia.

There has been rumors that kava causes liver damage, but this has been disputed after thorough research on the subject had been done. Kava also does not effect the brain or nervous system adversely unlike marijuana and alcohol which can and does cloud the mind. Kava actually increases mental acuity. Under a double blind, scientists noted that kava had and improved effect on vigilance, cognition, memory, and reaction time.

Not mention kava while also not being addictive has the added benefit that your body does not develop a tolerance to it. The same amount of kava you start with to get the desired relaxed euphoric state, is the same amount you will need after even 10 years of daily usage.

I find it to be a great way to end the night, it to have a nice shot of kava, since have has a relaxing sedative effect, it's best to be drank at night. It's not a party drug, well because it's very relaxing.

I tried kava the first time and I got no effects, so I stopped trying it, but I didn't know it that the effects of kava are only noticible after repeated usage, because supposedly kava needs to be titrated into the body, so a rather large dose is necessary at to get the desired state of relaxation, but after that a minimal amount of 1 to 2 shots of high quality are very effective.

In a battery of tests given to forty subjects in 1993, kava extract administered to volunteers did not impair their performance driving an automobile or operating heavy machinery. Unlike alcohol or the cannibis, kava taken in appropriate doses does not impair coordination, visual perception, or judgment.

I started off buying kava tea at my local wholefoods from the Yogi Tea brand, now I buy a more concentrated powder online, because I can drink less of liquid to get the same results.

I don't drink kava daily even though you can, I usually drink it on weekends, or after an extra hard day of work. I usually do the six healing sounds of the daoist practice along with the inner smile to transform my stress into vitality, then I drink some kava afterwards to deepen the effects of the meditation I just did, it's wonderful.

Namaste,

Gnosis

Edited by - Gnosis on Jan 13 2008 4:02:05 PM

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  01:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Gnosis,

From another forum quite knowledgeable on shamanic path of the sacred plants.

Albert

> However, this does not mean I run around promoting for
> people to use drugs or mind altering substances, or
> promote intoxication for every person or just for
> recreation. I am not for using any mind altering
> substances for pure recreation, but I am for spiritual
> and journey use, and even then I will be the one that
> always warns extra precautions.

I am not for -- or against -- anything. Everyone makes the choices that
they think are best for them. I wouldn't promote or discourage anything.

Everyone has their own opinions.

The best we can do is inform our opinions as best we can, with as much
knowledge and information as we can, from as many sources as we can.

When one looks deeply into mankind's historical relationship to
psychoactive plants and compounds, a few things become apparent. And
one of the main observations we can make is this: humans, in all times
and all cultures, have used psychoactive plants for a wide range of
purposes, both "recreational" and "spiritual." Some cultures make little
distinction between classes of use (the islanders of the South Pacific,
for example, use kava in both ways), where as other cultures make more
of a distinction (on this list, for example). But humans are all over the map,
both metaphorically and literally.

Consider ayahuasca, for example. Many indigenous groups use it in a way
that we should characterize as healing/spiritual. Some groups use it in
very practical/pragmatic ways. Some groups fear it and only turn to it as a last
resort, whereas other groups use it in a way that we would characterize as recreational.

In our culture we tend to view things as either spiritual or
non-spiritual. That's fine, but I want to point out that this is only
one way of slicing the pie.

Personally I don't feel comfortable with the "recreation is bad, spirit is good" perspective.

On the other hand, it is tragic that within our society many, many
people don't have the context, knowledge, or ability to experience
psychoactive helpers in any way *but* a recreational context. Speaking
from personal experience there are much more meaningful relationships
that can be forged with our leafy brothers. It all comes down to
freedom and choice. People who understand how to relate to plants
mythically/transpersonally/spiritually are free to enter into a host of relationships.
People who only understand a recreational paradigm are limited by their own context.

Edited by - selfonlypath on Jan 14 2008 02:38:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Gnosis

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  04:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gnosis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, thanks for the input.

I do not view kava as being entheogenic or shamanistic. I consider it a way that we can balance our energy during the day.

Nobody thinks it's wrong to drink green tea, oolong tea, ginseng tea etc... to give them energy throughout their day. But about the opposite, winding down for the day, are there herbs and plants for that? Of course, this is where kava comes in.

If we are overly stressed and anxious from a hard day, kava can help balance that energy in a positive way without out being addictive or damaging to the body.
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  10:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alcohol is a usually a problem because it can bring nervous depression so in kundalini context (lots of stuff coming to be dissolved), not so advised.

A few exceptions to this: absinthe and mezcal which respectly contain very good plant teacher spirit, especially to fix gently third eye issues.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  01:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Look into Tulsi tea, for another good calming substance.

I've personally found that any deviation from normal tends to be problematic, with kundalini. But it's not as bad as it sounds. It's just that other things aren't as satisfying. Alcohol doesn't seem to bring things to the surface, stimulating the kundalini...at least not for me. It just eases some tension. Kava doesn't seem to ease tension in the same way...all it did for me was make me see trails behind fast moving objects, become more sensitive to light, and feel kind of trancey in a not fun or cool way. But I've heard there are better kinds of kava, like the pure root done in the traditional way.
Go to Top of Page

Gnosis

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  2:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gnosis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have only tried a couple kinds of kava, and I find that the kava from Vanuatu is suppose to be the best kava in the world. I get mine from http://www.realkava.com/vanuatu_kava.html

They are out of stock for now, but on the 23rd of jan, they will be getting a new stock. I tried other kavas but vanuatu kava is the best thus far.

I like kava because it's deeply relaxing yet it doesn't alter your perception like marijuana. You do feel a bit drowsy after a shot or two, but you don't fee like you have lot any of your mental faculties, rather, you actually feel relaxed by you mental acuity seems to be quite good if not better than normal.

Not to mention it's not addictive, does not build a tolerance, and does not harm or injure the body in any way which is great for social events where you wanna just chill, but don't want to get drunk because of your spiritual practice.

Edited by - Gnosis on Jan 15 2008 2:48:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  12:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting this topic, Gnosis. I picked up some kava tea after reading this thread, and I plan to try it tonight. I could only find the Yogi Tea you mentioned. I'm guessing it's not as potent as the powder you direct order, but it's all I could find.

I'll report back after I've tried it

BTW, I dig your name. Do you know any good Gnostic links on the interwebs?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  11:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
try googling gnostic links
Go to Top of Page

mantis

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  7:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mantis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.gnosticteachings.org

i used to follow this system back then, it is very similar to yogani's ayp as most of it can be read online and the community is very helpful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000