Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 the small, quiet voice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  1:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm sure you guys have discussed this before, but I can't find it from a search. I think this was mentioned in the bible also.
I've noticed a small voice that sounds like myself talking, but I think i remember reading somewhere that it is actually God upon deeper examination.
It seems to answer questions and give information, a split second after thinking of a question.
The ego tends to engage at that point and overpower it. The ego says it is impossible to get an answer that quick, and it needs "stronger", more robust evidence that will take time and research and effort.
But if I am quiet enough to not let the ego intervene, the information from that small voice is correct and quick.
Does anyone else know of this?

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  3:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether, havn't seen you around for a while, Seasons Greetings

Voices I would hear are those that I would engage in conversation, generally consciously although sometimes I might find myself doing it unconsciously.
The clearest examples of this for me is when, a good few years ago, I would be studying under a Zen master, he would go back to Japan, and when a problem came up there was no one there to consult.

Then I found myself talking to him in my mind. Asking the question and getting the answer that he would give - like I knew it all the time, its just that when filtered through a sub-personallity in my mind which was that Zen master, I came up with the answer immediately.
It wasn't quite that simple though. Having been around that Zen master for a while, listening to his teachings, being in his energy. When I did speak to the sub-personality of him in my mind, I was also tuning into his energy vibration, which had also become part of my energy. So basically I was talking to myself as that Zen master and getting some very profound answers.

I would also be telepathic to a certain extent, but would not see this as telepathy.

Do you think it might be possible that the same sort of thing is going on with your experience of speaking to God.
From reading previous posts of yours, you seem to actively engage God in everything you do, so it seems to me that, since you have such a strong relationship with God, you could be talking to yourself as God.
And of course, you are God

Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  4:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It could be the "buddhi", which is, according to yoga psychology, a part of your mind that discriminates and makes decisions. This faculty can be sharp, or less sharp, but to me it feels the same as you described it. It's very good to function according to what the buddhi says and it is easy if you let the voice speak.

From what Sparkle said, I imagine the master just allows others to use his buddhi, if they cannot hear the voice in themselves. It might not be so, but when someone asks for advice and it's given to the buddhi immediately, one doesn't really have to think what to say. Yogani must know about this, he gives a lot of advice :D
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  02:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not something i engage in conversation. I have to be quiet enough to not have my mind (ego) in the picture at all. So I am conscious but not thinking, and this voice "knows" the nature of everything, and the answer to anything. It's like God guiding me at each moment. But as soon as the mind (ego) engages at all, it sort of drowns out the quiet voice, and it seems to be gone, but I know it is still there but too quiet.
So I can't engage it in conversation because that would require using the mind that overpowers it. The questions it answers are just sort of guiding me in reality, because without an ego I am an alien. They are questions that naturally arise, like "which way should i go from here?" and "why is that happening?"
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  05:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say, this is your Higher Self talking to you !
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  09:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say much the same as Wolfgang. However, I don't equate the Higher Self with God, and I think this is important for me anyway because it is important to know that we are fallible regardless of what level we operate from; I believe it is a significant error to believe that humans have access to an infallible level of functioning. The belief that we have access to something infallible, ironically makes us all the more fallible. Better to operate from the highest level we can, without lowering our level by getting inflated. (Of course, believing that ones inner voice is God does not necessarily mean that one believes one has access to something infallible, or is going to get inflated, but one probably is at risks for such things.) This philosophy I am proposing here is just another level of the almost universally correct notion of 'stay cool' -- don't over-reach or get over-excited.

How 'small and quiet' is it really to believe that the 'small and quiet' voice in ones mind is God? I suppose it depends a lot on how you view God, and exactly how you handle these notions.

That said, access to a higher level of functioning is a great thing.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Dec 28 2007 10:23:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  11:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course any belief that the voice makes me infallible would shut it off as that is an ego concept.
It does seem to guide me in exactly the right direction, but that's different than infallibility.

The right path for me as an individual might seem full of mistakes to someone on another path.
That's because each individual path is tailored to teach what is needed at the moment, not "make things run smoothly".
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  12:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The right path for me as an individual might seem full of mistakes to someone on another path.
That's because each individual path is tailored to teach what is needed at the moment, not "make things run smoothly".

Great wisdom in that! Wonderful, Ether!

I have been accompanied by that quiet voice from the start of my journey. As you describe, it always leads me right and is always kind. Never induces any doubt or bad feeling. Only superintelligent guidance exactly when needed.

I think we are all guided by our inner guru in different ways - some hear a voice, some are led by automatic movements, some just see clearly what is to be done and has that inner knowing, some get the message from another being transmitting it, like a friend blurting out that huge truth or wisdom out of the blue. I have had all of these experiences and it just continues with greater clarity and kindness.

God is Everything, everything is God. Nothing is unholy, everything in existence is sacred. Existence is a miracle, and miracles sometimes show up as a small, quiet, soft and kind little voice...

Edited by - emc on Dec 29 2007 12:39:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  4:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks EMC,
i experience all of those other forms of guidance you mention also. I love it when friends often spontaneously talk about the very subject I am internally working on. I never tell them about it beforehand.

Sometimes it's easy for people to become bored with reality. But if you pay attention, things are put in front of you for a reason.
For me it is easier if i ask for guidance on a specific subject. Then I watch for answers, and right in front of me something will happen that answers my question, or part of it.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  6:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Great answer Etherfish.

Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  6:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Etherfish: i experience all of those other forms of guidance you mention also. I love it when friends often spontaneously talk about the very subject I am internally working on. I never tell them about it beforehand.

Great post, Etherfish, since I've noticed the same thing. I don't hear a voice, but I noticed that I will be thinking about something and right away another person will give an answer to an internal question that I've been struggling with. Or I'll want something and out of the blue I'll get it. It's amazing, the the sycronicity of it all:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Dec 29 2007 8:19:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  2:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes; it's especially apparent to me because I generally don't talk about these subjects to anyone in person, only on this forum.
So it's amazing when someone in person talks about them. Often it is in relation to a completely different subject, that parallels my thoughts exactly.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  08:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish

quote:
It's not something i engage in conversation. I have to be quiet enough to not have my mind (ego) in the picture at all. So I am conscious but not thinking, and this voice "knows" the nature of everything, and the answer to anything. It's like God guiding me at each moment. But as soon as the mind (ego) engages at all, it sort of drowns out the quiet voice, and it seems to be gone, but I know it is still there but too quiet.
So I can't engage it in conversation because that would require using the mind that overpowers it. The questions it answers are just sort of guiding me in reality, because without an ego I am an alien. They are questions that naturally arise, like "which way should i go from here?" and "why is that happening?"

This sounds like what Sri Aurobindo called the "psychic being". He said that this being has two centres, on in the heart and another in the head. He said that once this being comes to the front, and leads the sadakha (you), then from then on everything becomes very easy, as it will light the way and guide you.

Nice one.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  10:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish,

Here's the quote from the bible (it actually reminds me of Buddha's night of enlightenment when he was tempted by mara):
quote:
"And He [the Lord] said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind and earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice."

I Kings 19: 11-12 King James Version

I agree with what has been previously posted about listening to the voice.

quote:
"Learn to trust yourself. Trust that the answer that you are receiving is the right answer for you... You are a magnificent child of this Universe. You have more potential than you can even imagine. But imagine it anyway." (http://www.livethepower.com/blog/19...small-voice/)

Namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  6:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Etherfish,

Yes! I've experienced it too! When I was in India it was pretty much constant ( I was meditating up to 7 hours a day etc.,) now it's there whenever I stop and listen ...thank God.

I lately have figured it out to be my inner Guru. It is full of the most compassionate and unconditional love I have ever felt.

It guides me in my practices and tells me quite clearly when I need to change something...

I am sure everyone has this voice inside them as Yogani tells us every time he signs off "The Guru is in you"..

Wishing you the best on your journey - may it be gentle and complete.

Love and light,

Babaly

quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

I'm sure you guys have discussed this before, but I can't find it from a search. I think this was mentioned in the bible also.
I've noticed a small voice that sounds like myself talking, but I think i remember reading somewhere that it is actually God upon deeper examination.
It seems to answer questions and give information, a split second after thinking of a question.
The ego tends to engage at that point and overpower it. The ego says it is impossible to get an answer that quick, and it needs "stronger", more robust evidence that will take time and research and effort.
But if I am quiet enough to not let the ego intervene, the information from that small voice is correct and quick.
Does anyone else know of this?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000