Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Venous blood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  11:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I mentioned in my previous post the role that blood purification plays in the SRF teachings. I noted that it isn't mentioned on this board.

To restate the theory briefly, the SRF teachings say that if you purify your blood by eating only fruits and vegetables and then relax in meditation, venous blood ceases to accummulate and go to the lungs to be purified, hence there is less need to breathe. This breathless state is the means to pratyahara.

What thoughts on this?

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  11:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi.
I have noticed that when I eat certain foods, my breathing speeds up, and I feel more stressed. Sugar is the big one, and after that, caffine. But also grains, nuts and dairy products have the same effect. I am vegetarian so I cannot say about meat or fish. I have noticed that vegetables and fruit seem to be the least prone to have this effect on me, and I am considering restricting my diet to mainly these things. Obviously there is a direct tie in with the level of stress on the body and the breathing rate, and the depth of our meditation experience. That is why we slow the breathing down during pranayama. i would be interested to know if anyone else experiences this?
Christi.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  11:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised nobody has replied to this post. I wanted to know if this theory is correct. Does anyone know?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  1:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe the diet plays much if any role in the occurence of the breathless state. It has never been an issue in my case.

I must also admit that my own first breathless experience came about during meditative martial arts practices designed to collect, cultivate and eventually express a powerful empty force that has effect on the intended target without physical contact. Once gaining some proficiency with this I began my interest in yoga and became a kriyaban then a swami, though not of the SRF lineage. So, how did I experience the breathless state without using yogic practices, I dunno, it just happened, lol!

Here is the standard line regarding breathlessness as I have understood it from the yogic path.

As the spinal breathing pranayama is done, whether it be the Kriya style or AYP style or any other, the body undergoing restriction of the physical breath then pulls from the prana storehouse and provides the energy necessary to function. This reduces the biological metabolism and drops the rate of respiration and circulation (heartbeat) which the meditator will at first be a bit puzzled by until it just becomes a normal occurence.

It's been my experience that a vegetarian diet is not the least bit necessary for this to occur. So, I offer myself as proof that what SRF says is not the only way for it to happen.

Edited by - Swami Vajra on Jan 27 2007 2:21:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  04:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Swami, thanks for this informative reply. I suspected that the SRF theory was slightly incorrect. Your explanation of the prana storehouse is interesting to say the least.

I have seen a video where a Chinese martial artist puts out a candle flame by punching at it. How on earth is that done?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  12:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi,
people don't answer when they don't know any information, or have no interest in the subject.

SRF has a lot of good information, but a couple problems because of the age of the writings. yogananda's writings were done when there was less spiritual energy and things have changed since then. And some of the cultural differences between India and the USA are better understood.
Also knowledge of diet has advanced a lot since then. Although fruits and vegetables are good for most people, there are some people who don't do very well on that diet including myself. We are people with blood sugar problems, and with a "protein type" metabolism. So diets should be configured for the individual, not everyone together. That's why AYP recommends a "light and nutritious" diet, and leaves the details to you. Some people have to go through a lot of research with nutritional experts to refine their diet, others can easily figure it out themselves, and "self pacing" takes care of that. You can make changes and judge the results yourself.
---------------
Martial artists learn to control the chi or lifeforce energy so they can direct it precisely. They can even direct it outside the body, although it is very rare for them to achieve this level. Bruce Lee had what he called the "one inch punch." He had a large opponent hold a phone book against his chest to protect himself. Then Bruce would hold his fist one inch from the phone book, and suddenly punch. The opponent would fly in the air for a ways, finally hit the ground, and not come to rest until he was thirty feet away!
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  4:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i bought a rare bruce lee book, and it didnt mention that the one inch punch did anything like that. But thanks.
Go to Top of Page

paw

52 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  7:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit paw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also experience kevala(i) kumbakha doing Hamsa kriya yoga, and I eat a moderate and healthy diet that includes some meat and eggs and milk.

However, from experience I have found that a fruit diet expands consciousness and yoga. But for me this fruit diet is not sustainable. So I have found that regular practice of SB and meditation is more important than diet in progress.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  08:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Etherfish,

Good to see you back. I wondered where you had been. I will waste away to nothing on this type of diet as well and do well on a hunter gatherer type of diet with not much more than a piece of bread or two each day.

When I achieved a state of deep meditation(30 years ago), I was eating alot of whole grain bread, rice, whole milk, cheese, gobbs of honey and ghee and fruits and vegetables.

My breath stopped at this time.

But I don't do well with grain and dairy now.

Moderation is the key and not overloading your body with too much food, regardless of what it is.

Fruits and vegetables require the least energy to digest and digestion is huge energy expenditure. But they are not very substanstial. By that I mean they are not going to keep any meat on your bones. So is immune function.

Mineral plant animal human genius prophet godman. This is one model of evolutionary progression. It is actually from Yesudian and Haich.

I, for example, am your normal garden variety homo sap. Bruce Lee would be in the genius catagory, a creative genius in his own particular field, bringing perfection into his personal world, operating at a higher level.

Best, yb

Edited by - yogibear on Jan 09 2008 08:22:39 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000