Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Reveries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maverick_21

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  3:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit maverick_21's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I got into AYP around May 2006, and I've been doing it steadfastly for the most part since then.
Lately I've been noticing that I'm falling into intense reveries. That is, basically I become completely absorbed in a thought stream; thoughts about the past or future, or anything other than the present.
Sometimes they are so strong that I lose focus of what I'm doing and my body moves about like an automaton, and later I snap out of it and I can't believe how long I've gone without really knowing what I've been doing.
As a result I've been absent minded, especially at work, and I keep fudging numbers here and there or forgetting to do little things.
Sometimes I think that I've always been like this and have just never noticed it, but I can't be sure. I mean, I know I've always been prone to daydreaming but it feels like it's growing in intensity.
Is it possible that the meditation is adversely affecting my concentration? Has anyone else noticed anything similar in their daily lives?

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  4:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No, it's not adversely affecting your concentration...in fact, it's improving your ability to focus. You're developing one-pointedness of mind.

At work, try to do your best. You'll get more used to it.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  6:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maverick, I think mantra yoga (the AYP 'deep meditation') can indeed at times have the side-effect of making us susceptible to unproductive reveries. I would say it did that for me particularly in the first few years after starting meditation, and I had a tendancy to over-indulge in them. The remedy I would now suggest is simple: snap out of those reveries and focus on the task at hand. A 'mindfulness' approach to work may also be an appropriate or useful adjunct to mantra yoga.

This isn't to say that 'reveries' should always be avoided. Just like everything else, they have their time and place and we can get too much of them.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 01 2008 6:35:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

clk1710

92 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  2:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi maverick! i can relate to what you are saying as i have had a history of difficulty concentrating/daydreaming and at times its better than others. it may or may not be as related to your sadhana as it is some chemical imbalances. i would recommend taking a more holistic medical approach -i see a natural doctor who tested my neurotransmitters and has me now on a supplement program to rebalance them. i think it has really helped and this month i will be getting retested to see if there is a change... best of luck and happy new year!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000