Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Noobie question about posture.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  07:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Up till now, I’ve been meditating sitting astride a zafu in a sort of kneeling position, with no back support. I see that a cross leg position is recommended for the later exercises, and I was wondering if I should try to get used to a new sitting position, or simply continue with what I’m used to?

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  09:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Echo
You're very welcome to the forum.

I take it you have started the AYP practices. Can you tell us how long you have been practicing?

Sitting in a kneeling position on a zafu can be very centering and comfortable for meditation.
We do what is most comfortable for us at AYP, a lot of people simply sit on a chair with back support.

You might be thinking of siddhasana when you talk of cross-legged. This involved placing one heel at the perenium, however it can also be acomplished easily with a rolled up sock or other object, instead of the heel.

So I wouldn't worry about having to sit cross-legged. If you are flexible enough to do it easily or if you feel that way inclined then go for it.
It is not however a requirement for the AYP practices.

Hope that helps

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  10:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing about the unsupported back:

I started off doing zen meditation, and brought that to AYP...sitting very proper, very straight, on a zafu with no back support. One day I wasn't feeling good, and practiced in bed, with my back against the headboard and a pillow tucked behind me, as Yogani recommended for beginners. I haven't gone back.
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  11:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi Echo
You're very welcome to the forum.

I take it you have started the AYP practices. Can you tell us how long you have been practicing?

Sitting in a kneeling position on a zafu can be very centering and comfortable for meditation.
We do what is most comfortable for us at AYP, a lot of people simply sit on a chair with back support.

You might be thinking of siddhasana when you talk of cross-legged. This involved placing one heel at the perenium, however it can also be acomplished easily with a rolled up sock or other object, instead of the heel.

So I wouldn't worry about having to sit cross-legged. If you are flexible enough to do it easily or if you feel that way inclined then go for it.
It is not however a requirement for the AYP practices.

Hope that helps

Hi, and thank you for the replies!

I’m very new to AYP. It was recommended to me by a friend. I have been practicing Ashtanga for a little over 5 years. I felt that I would like to give more emphasis to meditation and so began Anapanasati a while ago now. At first I thought that I would sit in lotus. I have always found lotus easy, but found that after about 15minutes my back began to ach. So then I tried sitting in a chair and that didn’t work for me. Then I trieds sitting astride a zafu. I found that very comfertable.

I got the impression from reading the lessons that before adding pranayama to the practice, one needed to be comferable in siddhasana, all be it with back support. But it seems that is no necessarily so.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000