Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra Changes (2)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  05:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,
Now that I'm settling into the first enhancement of the mantra (SHREE SHREE I AM I AM) I have a question about pronunciation that, as far as I'm aware, Yogani doesn't cover. Are we to roll the 'R,' presumably as would be done in Sanskrit, or should we say it with a softer English 'R?'

I realise this is probably splitting hairs, but I sometimes find myself drawn away from natural English pronunciation. The rolled or lightly rolled 'R' seems to propel the 'EE' energy up with greater power.

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tallis
I'm interested in this too.

When you say roll the R, do you mean like Sherrrrreeeee, which would be two syllables instead of Shree which is one.?
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,
To native English speakers like us it's very easy to insert an extra syllable like you say - 'Sherrreeee' - because it's hard for our untrained tongues to get around 'sh' + 'r' directly. I noticed this myself while beginning to learn Hungarian and German, both of which use (or, in German, can use) rolled r's. I didn't intend any change here, though, to the number of syllables: just a change in the production of the 'r' in a one-syllable SHREE.

Edited by - tallis on Dec 07 2007 10:23:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  11:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks tallis

I was pointed to this site http://www.siddhashram.org/audio3.shtml where is gives pronunciations.

In there you will find Shree and it seems to be pronounced as in the english mono-syllible.

Don't understand the rolled r, no worries
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  3:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, oh, Louis, I think there's some confusion here! I would say that the pronunciation on the audio link you gave is definitely rolled! It's not with a soft English 'r' (thereby creating a monosyllabic SHREE) but with a rolled 'r' using a single contact between the tongue and the top of the mouth - which creates an equally monosyllabic SHREE. A rolled 'r' doesn't have to involve multiple contact between the tongue and the mouth 'rrrrr,' or at least that's my interpretation of the word!

Anyway, the main thing is that the pronunciation on the audio is exactly what I feel naturally inclined towards sometimes - and is what I'm questioning here in this thread. Can you feel the extra energy that the speaker's 'r' imparts to the following phonic 'eee'? It sends the vibrations shooting straight up to the crown.

Edited by - tallis on Dec 07 2007 3:53:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  4:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis and All:

Keep in mind that where we start with the mantra is not nearly as significant as where we end up. And on the way there (usually more than once in each sesson), there may be barely any pronunciation at all. Only a faint feeling, and then nothing but inner silence. And then we come back to a faint recollection of the mantra again when we realize we have been off it.

So the pronunciation you are talking about here is what we want to be letting go of nearly from the start. As our mind and nervous system gain experience in this over time (becoming cultivated in the habit of stillness), we will be losing the mantra and everything else as soon as we close our eyes. Pronunciation? What pronunciation?

So the mantra is just an easy direction we take in thought. And then it is refining to stillness. Let it go ... one pronunciation is about as good as the next, because all pronunciations are transcended. Anywhere in the ball park will do fine. If it is easy to let it go to less, then we know it is right.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  03:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
Thanks for your words. You're so right: I'm getting stuck on technicalities instead of letting go into silence - which is a sign, I guess, that I'm still not completely at home with the enhancement. Hopefully time will smooth this out.

'Pronunciation? What pronunciation?' I like that!
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  01:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani for deep advice!

The Realization that pronounciation isn't that important has made my meditation much much deeper. It feel so good now and I bet It's getting even better in time.

Edited by - atena on Dec 14 2007 03:36:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000