Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation Time Length
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  10:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm very happy in my consistence with the I AM mantra meditation. It seems to be working for me, and my doubts about it are subsiding.
I don't intend on doing it forever but i certainly want to take it as far as I can. I don't think it's nessecary to do it forever right now.

Anyway, I've been doing it for the standard 20 minutes like Yogani suggests. But I was wondering under what circumstances should one increase the time of it. That's pretty much it

Namaste

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  10:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddie,

It's good to hear about your consistency and that the meditation is working for you. According to what AYP teaches, the standard 20 minutes is not supposed to be exceeded under normal circumstances. I think Yogani has even said that the 20 minutes still works for him. After being very stable for a long time, if one sees specific reason to, the time can be increased in very small increments, but this would be a non-standard approach, and would most likely not be appropriate for everyone. It could even be counter-productive in many cases.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  4:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If I am fidning the meditation to be particularly deep when the time is up I will continue for enough minutes that I don't come out very harshly. Other than that, I think consistency is good. it seems like after a while your body and mind syncs with this time allotment and the meditation session disperses its effects appropriately. At least for me, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  6:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it agravates me very much how pretty much all spiritual teachers disagree
Go to Top of Page

scottfitzgerald

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  9:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Eddie-

I have been meditating for about three years, and I find the same as others have been reporting, that after about the "right" amount of time, I sort of just back out. There have been many times of over doing it, and going way over the time, however, I have found about a half hour the max that makes sense for me.

It seems all the guidelines here are flexible, but guidelines still, for the average person, on the average quest. I see questions all the time from you, with mentions of several "systems" and spiritual teachers--I understand the frustration of not having a standard set of rules that all gurus abide by--I believe most approaches, since discovered or channeled or invented by a person, are going to have what worked for them as the method. That is what this forum is all about. A method for us to use that guides us to our inner roadmap, as well as the internal dashboard idiot lights that warn us of something out of whack.

I can take the curves as fast as I want--when I was 15 I took a literal curve in the road way to fast (missed a stop sign too) and ended up in a very unhappy old man's front yard...the laws of friction, inertia, centrifigal force and Southeastern Indiana caught up with me. :)

Difference here is the guru is in us...and it doesn't want us to end up in the front yard of a pissed off Kundalini.

Keep up the questions...I hear good gurus ask the students if they have any doubts--and sometimes we have to find out on our own.

Take good care on the trip.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  12:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
eddie, thats why i like yogani...he doesnt seem to see any practices as mutually exclusive when side by side with ayp. he simply gives somewhat of a round figure of 20 minutes but seems to lean towards intuition as the best teacher.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  6:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Woah I got a response from a radio guy. I like feel famous right now. lol j/k

Thanks though guys, I really appreciate the support. For a second there I felt myself drifting off a little bit. These responses really pulled me back, which I think is a good thing. a really good thing. It makes me feel that I'm really in the right place, and I'm grateful for it. I feel like I can almost see thelight at the end of the tunnel in some kind of way

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  04:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddie,
quote:

Wouldn't it be boring if they all said the same thing? Can you imagine it!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

IcedEarth

73 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  10:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit IcedEarth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie33

Very true. If a person reads teachings from several teachers, there is much disagreement to be found. The thing to do is develop your critical thinking abilities. Really question and probe the teachings, and I mean all of them. Even Ramana Maharshi made a few questionable statements, particularly regarding his understanding of pranayama. Relect on your own thoughts until you find a meaningful conclusion. And even that may change!
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  05:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally feel that the more time spent in meditation the better; as long as one isn't straining one's self physically and mentally.

When I'm going full blast - so to speak - I average about 3 hours of meditation per day - divided into three sessions. However, if I'm a bit busy with other things, I may only do a half an hour for the day. However, I do find that the more time I spend in meditation per day the easier my days goes. I feel better, I perform better, and my thinking has a clarity to it that I don't find otherwise. I've also noticed that I don't tire so easily if I meditate a lot. Sometimes I'll even take a meditation break to recharge myself if I'm feeling tired during the day. It works wonders.

Edited by - Nirodha on Dec 17 2007 06:20:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  11:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Iced Earth

quote:
Even Ramana Maharshi made a few questionable statements, particularly regarding his understanding of pranayama.

I was just wondering what questionable statements did Ramana Maharshi make regarding pranayama (or anything else)?
Go to Top of Page

yogikanna

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  7:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogikanna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Eddie,

I am not very familiar with this particular type of meditation. But In general silent meditation can be done as long as possible. I practise regular silent meditation (not mantra)for 2-3 hrs a day and have been doing so, on and off, for the past couple of year.

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for complete liberation from the ego, meditation must be done as much as possible, until it becomes 24/7 activity, until it becomes effortless and natural. Michael Langford in his book "The most rapid and direct means to Eternal Bliss" recommends atleast 2 hrs a day and upto 12 hrs a day if it is possible. His realization was complete in 2 years of practising 12 hrs a day. Sri Ramana Maharshi advised that practise of Meditaion, which is focusing on the Self should be unbroken and continuous until realization becomes complete.

You can find more information in the following link.

http://www.albigen.com/uarelove/awa...uctions.aspx

In peace,
Kannan

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie33

But I was wondering under what circumstances should one increase the time of it. That's pretty much it

Namaste

Edited by - yogikanna on Jan 02 2008 8:49:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  10:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogikanna

Dear Eddie,

I am not very familiar with this particular type of meditation. But In general silent meditation can be done as long as possible. I practise regular silent meditation (not mantra)for 2-3 hrs a day and have been doing so, on and off, for the past couple of year.

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for complete liberation from the ego, meditation must be done as much as possible, until it becomes 24/7 activity, until it becomes effortless and natural. Michael Langford in his book "The most rapid and direct means to Eternal Bliss" recommends atleast 2 hrs a day and upto 12 hrs a day if it is possible. His realization was complete in 2 years of practising 12 hrs a day. Sri Ramana Maharshi advised that practise of Meditaion, which is focusing on the Self should be unbroken and continuous until realization becomes complete.

You can find more information in the following link.

http://www.albigen.com/uarelove/awa...uctions.aspx

In peace,
Kannan

Hi Kannan, and welcome!

While I cannot speak for other systems, what you are suggesting above does not apply to deep meditation as practiced here, or to any of the AYP practices. While very easy to do, these practices are so powerful that a little bit goes a long way in cultivating rapid purification and opening in the nervous system. This is why "self-pacing" of practices receives a lot of attention here.

In AYP, the limiting factor in unfolding enlightenment is not in how much practice time we can put in. It is in how much transformation our nervous system can handle over the days, weeks and months, and regulating that for maximum progress with safety. Everyone is a little different in this, due to unique patterns of karmic obstruction to be dissolved. For all of us, there are definitely times when less practice will yield more results. The rest of the time, we will be wise to stick with recommended times of practice to keep on a steady and stable path of purification and opening.

It is much like driving a fast car. We maintain a good safe speed on the straight-aways, and slow down for the pot holes and sharp curves. If we don't drive prudently we can end up in the ditch for a while, and that will be a slower path, even with the fast car.

There have been discussions elsewhere here in the forums on the relative power and speed of various kinds of meditation. While we have nothing scientific to offer on this, it seems clear that AYP deep meditation is a very powerful and fast one, especially when integrated with the many other methods offered here. So we do not recommend driving with the gas pedal pressed to the floor. Those who do that (we all have!) will often share their crash stories here, and there are a lot of valuable lessons in those for all of us.

We have strategies here to aid folks in recovering from crashes. We also see a lot of crash victims coming here from other systems seeking assistance. Hey, whatever works to get everyone back on the highway and driving safely for a timely arrival.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogikanna

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  1:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogikanna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

While very easy to do, these practices are so powerful that a little bit goes a long way in cultivating rapid purification and opening in the nervous system. This is why "self-pacing" of practices receives a lot of attention here.

Dear Yogani,

Thank you for the clarification. Looks like this is a purification practise like yoga or pranayama. Just like pranayama should not be practised for very long, looks like these practises should not be exceeded a certain amount of time. Yes, you are right, there are many injuries from yogasana, pranayama and other practises when tried to accelerate learning. That makes sense that these practises should be started very slowly and self-paced, thank you.

I do practise some yoga, pranayama and chi-gong for purifying and preparing the mind for meditation (natural and effortless abidence in the self which is the goal of all 'techniques'). I am yet to go through the material in the site and was referred to the forum by a friend. I will experiment with some of your techniques and if I find them to be effective, I will incorporate them into my daily practise too. Thank you for sharing these teachings and for hosting this wonderful forum where practisioners can share their insights, learnings and blunders.

In peace and gratitude,
Kannan

Edited by - yogikanna on Jan 03 2008 1:32:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000