AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Checking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Springfield_Slim

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  03:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Springfield_Slim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I think one of the reasons some meditation programs have had the success they have had is because they offer some sort of checking procedure. I was thinking that when it comes time for Yogani to burn more copies of the Deep Meditation CD he might want to consider including a checking CD. It would be something that the individual meditator could listen to every once in a while... or a leader of a group meditation could play for his/her group... to make sure everyone is meditating properly. It might go something like the following:

STEP BY STEP GROUP MEDITATION

"We're going to start step by step. First, sit comfortably and let's close our eyes."

(15 seconds pass)
"Let's open our eyes."

(wait 5 seconds) If someone is not opening, wait and say again, "Let's open..."

"Again, let's close our eyes."

(30 seconds)
"Let's open our eyes."

(5 seconds)
Ask the group, "Did you feel some quietness, some silence?"

If yes --
"All right, let's close our eyes."

(30 seconds)
"All right, let's open our eyes."

(5 seconds) Ask the group,
"Did you feel some quietness?"

-- to group.
"Did you have any thoughts in that quietness?"

Ask the group.
"Did you notice how effortlessly, how spontaneously thoughts come? This is how effortlessly we should think the mantra."

"Now, this time when we close our eyes, we will begin the mantra as effortlessly as we think any other thought, and we will continue meditation for about 20 minutes. Don't mind the time, I will keep track of it for you. All right, let's close our eyes."

After 20 minutes, quietly say:
"The guru is in you. Let's take a few minutes and then slowly open the eyes."

Note: Person leading the meditation should keep the eyes closed for most of the time as an example.
After 2 to 3 minutes say, "Slowly open the eyes."

"It was easy? It was good?"

If someone answers no, tell them they might want to reread/relisten to Yogani's Deep Meditation book.

Remind the group. "This is how we meditate at home. We think the mantra in the same effortless way we think any other thought, and we come out of meditation very slowly. Take a good 2 to 3 minutes. Coming out of meditation too quickly can lead to some roughness or discomfort during the day."

- - Slim

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  2:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting procedure Slim, might give it a try at our next group med.
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  4:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice suggestions, Slim.

BTW, that procedure is exactly (to the letter, I think) the one used in TM when a meditation is being done in a group setting. One might want to avoid using such a thing to the letter. You know, plagiarism issues.

One other thing:

"It was easy? It was good?"
If someone answers no, tell them they might want to reread/relisten to Yogani's Deep Meditation book.

I might ask if it was easy, but I definitely wouldn't go along with the rest of that. I wouldn't want to set people into the habit of evaluating their meditation, nor to suggest to people that not having a 'good' meditation is to be remedied by re-reading Yogani's book.

Welcome to the forum, Slim.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 04 2008 5:26:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  1:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Having been trained 32 years ago by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi as a teacher of TM, I can tell you that it IS the TM group meditation verbatim. Of course, the one major problem with anything like this being done with an audio recording is the response/instruction procedure may not proceed smoothly. The basic procedure is as outlined BUT does not take into account a potentially huge set of alternative responses to the questions asked. Different answers prompt the checker to give different instructions or information. The entire checking procedure is actually maybe 40 or 50 pages long. It is structured so that there is a basic, uncomplicated sequence, and then for each question which is answered with a different response, there is a sort of, "If such-and-such happens, go to point 6A" which results in a totally different sequence from there on. The meditation checker has memorized the entire thing--all of the possible sequences and responses--and can guide the meditator without having to look things up, or skip ahead to page 12, or whatever--it remains as seamless and smooth as if the meditator had answered Yes to every question. I do think that, especially for the first year or two, checking is very important. Meditation has a very subtle requirement for easy naturalness, and since most people are used to accomplishing things through effort, it is sometimes difficult for them to be effortless in their meditation. Checking will put the new meditator back on the trackof proper, easy, effortless meditation.

Michael
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000