Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Distracted By Breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  11:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm guessing this is occurring because of years of habitual meditating on the breath but my meditations often turn into a battle for my attention...breath vs. mantra. It's almost like I can't not focus on my breath when meditating. So then I'll get into this rhythm of repeating the mantra with the incoming and outgoing breath, which I know we aren't really supposed to do. Has anyone else dealt with this? Any tips for helping the mantra supersede the breath?

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  3:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This happens to me also sometimes, after previous years of doing HongSau meditation. When I notice that I'm syncing the mantra with the breath I simply tell myself to listen to the sound of the mantra. That usually does it for me. But i also notice that when I've gone into sync with the breath I'm not focusing on the breath as I used to in HongSau, it just sort of happens, so I don't worry about it, I just go back to IAM. It is less and less a problem these days after doing AYP for almost a year now. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  4:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If ever I put my mind on what I am doing during meditation.. I realize my mantra and breath are synchronized.. However I don't consciously synchronize the two.
Yogani says not to synchronize the mantra and breath because we don't want to take the attention off the mantra to our breath... or let the breath lead the mantra. But if this is happening without our awareness being on it.. I don't know if it really is a problem.
quote:
Lesson 106 - Q&A – Mantra and breathing in meditation
We just let the
breath go in meditation and don't mind what it is doing. The reason
is we want the mantra to be free to change naturally in speed of
repetition and degree of clarity so the mind is free to go to
stillness easily. We want meditation naturally leading the breath,
not the other way around. If we favor the breath leading the mantra,
we will drift into pranayama mode of cultivating the nerves on a less
subtle level than the mind will go if given the opportunity in deep
meditation

quote:
BluesFan said: but my meditations often turn into a battle for my attention...breath vs. mantra. It's almost like I can't not focus on my breath when meditating.

Don't think about it.. when you get aware that the mantra and breath are in sync and fight that.. you are off your mantra. When you are aware that your breath and mantra are in sync.. don't try to separate the two.. just naturally move your attention back to your mantra.. The more you think.. "Oh my breath and mantra are synchronized.. I need to stop this"... the harder it will be to let go.. Does this make sense?

Edited by - Shanti on Nov 09 2007 4:25:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  5:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti & Turtle for the tips. And yes Shanti, that does make sense. I've notice that when I fight the synchronization it makes it worse. I know that inner resistance of any kind is opposed to meditation. One of my 'problems' is that in meditation I become much more aware of everything...from the slightest sound to my breath, to my heartbeat. Sometimes even my own heartbeat is a distraction but usually if there's a distraction it's the breath. It's funny how habitual we are. Anytime I sit to meditate my in-and-out breathing automatically takes center stage.
Go to Top of Page

maverick_21

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  08:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit maverick_21's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The exact same thing happened to me when I first started AYP meditation. I made a post about it a few months ago. For me, the problem just disappeared after time. Now when I meditate, I usually don't notice my breath at all... it's completely automatic... I see no reason why the same thing won't happen to you after a little bit of time. I know it's pretty frustrating though. Just remember that it will get better.
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  3:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:
BluesFan said: but my meditations often turn into a battle for my attention...breath vs. mantra. It's almost like I can't not focus on my breath when meditating.

Don't think about it.. when you get aware that the mantra and breath are in sync and fight that.. you are off your mantra. When you are aware that your breath and mantra are in sync.. don't try to separate the two.. just naturally move your attention back to your mantra.. The more you think.. "Oh my breath and mantra are synchronized.. I need to stop this"... the harder it will be to let go.. Does this make sense?

Shanti,

That was very helpful. Many thanks!

I was meditating fine until I read BluesFan's initial post. After that I noticed that my breath is in sync with the mantra sometimes during the meditation. I tried to control it and the result was miserable. I knew better than to control this, but I tried it unconsciously I guess. I gave up the fight ultimately.

Your reply above confirms that I am doing the right thing. So, if the breath is in sync with my mantra and I notice that, then I consider that noticing thought also to be a distraction, and try to gently come back to the mantra. I am not bothered anymore that the breath is in sync with the mantra if it is not due to my conscious effort to do so.

Ram.

Edited by - rkishan on Nov 27 2007 10:27:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

BluesFan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  4:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluesFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
rkishan - My apologies on complicating your meditation! It's kind of like telling someone not to think of the color blue huh? I'm doing my best to take Shanti's advice but still struggling with this a little.

It's amazing how the experience of meditation can change from week to week. One week I'm having these deep, beautiful, amazing meditations and the next I'm engaged in mental battle with awareness of my breath. Strange.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  03:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And that is how it will continue, BluesFan! All sessions are different, and how "mindy" you are is not a measure of how well it works. The mantra works beyond the mind.

I have always found the most secure rest in the knowing that the deepest meditation occur between the point where you last repeated the mantra and the point where you discover that you have been off the mantra and went along on a thought train for a while. Even if you follow that thought train you rode on back, tracing it to a point where it started... you will never be able to trace it all the way back to where you last repeated the mantra. There's a gap there, a black hole, and that's when the deepest spot was hit! So every thought train you go along with is a blessing. Pure blessing! Under the condition that you always come back gently to the mantra!!!! Then the thought ride was greatly beneficial!

Go to Top of Page

yogikanna

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  3:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogikanna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Bluefan,

There is no need to fight the breath. If your are attending to breath while meditating, allow urself to do it. There is nothing wrong with it, only if you fight it will it become a problem. Gently come back to meditation completely, be very gentle with it, relax, don't fight. If attention goes to breath again, allow it to be so. Slowly the breath will starts slowing down, and will become really really slow as if it has stopped. Then you will be firmly established in Deep meditation no longer being distracted by breath.

in peace,
kannan

quote:
Originally posted by BluesFan

rkishan - My apologies on complicating your meditation! It's kind of like telling someone not to think of the color blue huh? I'm doing my best to take Shanti's advice but still struggling with this a little.

It's amazing how the experience of meditation can change from week to week. One week I'm having these deep, beautiful, amazing meditations and the next I'm engaged in mental battle with awareness of my breath. Strange.

Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  9:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your input on this topic. For those of us who came from an orientation other than yoga there are these kinds of questions and the dilemma associated with the change to a new way. I have just been wanting some help with this kind of thing. I really appreciate being reassured that it all works out.

Thanks again,
Jill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000