AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 The Sedona Method
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greg108

29 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  7:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Greg108's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone any experience with this method? If so could you share your thoughts and results.

Thanks

Greg

P.S. Here is some info on The Sedona Method:

The process is incredibly simple:

Step 1: Focus on an issue that you would like to feel better about.

Step 2: Ask yourself one of the following three questions:

Could I let this feeling go?
Could I allow this feeling to be here?
Could I welcome this feeling?

Step 3: No matter which question you started with, ask yourself the simple question: ‘Would I?’ In other words: ‘Am I willing to let go?’

If your answer is ‘No’, then ask yourself the supplementary question:
”Would I rather have this feeling, or would I rather be free?”

If your answer is still “no”, go to step 4.

Step 4: Ask yourself this simpler question: ‘When?’

Step 5: Repeat the preceding four steps until you feel free of that particular feeling.

Edited by - AYPforum on Nov 23 2007 7:59:41 PM

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  04:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,

Sounds like an interesting method similar to The Work of Byron Katie.

Can you clarify one thing, please, I don't quite follow...

At Step 3. The way the question is formulated I could not answer "no". My answer would either be: I'd rather have this feeling or I'd rather be free, please. What direction would the following question go then??? It doesn't make sense to me the way it is written now.

Go to Top of Page

Greg108

29 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  2:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Greg108's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just learned about the technique, so I cannot yet respond to your question. My understanding so far is that you ask yourself the questions and they guide you in letting go of emotions and thoughts. It was developed by Lester Levenson. Here is some info:
The Sedona Method is a self-help technique developed by the late engineer/physicist/businessman Lester Levenson after a serious heart attack nearly ended his life. Lester regained his health and attributed his renewed positive outlook to a process of self-inquiry of one's beliefs and related emotions.

The process is designed to examine any emotion that one is experiencing and then "let it go" or release it in the moment. The basic premise is that all emotions naturally come and go out of experience unless one resists them. The idea is supported in the writings of Carl Jung who noted, "What we resist persists."

Hale Dwoskin, President of Sedona Training Associates, has appeared in "The Secret" and is the primary teacher and facilitator of the Sedona Method. Hale learned the Sedona Method from Lester Levenson beginning in 1976 and worked closely with Lester until Lester's death in 1994.

The process is taught as a practical technique that is related to a similar process called the Release Technique, which is taught by another former student of Lester Levenson's, Larry Crane.
Go to Top of Page

panther

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  09:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit panther's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Greg,
This looks good to me :). I have found that these methods, of which I have familiarity with a few, all seem to address for me the same thing. Self-inquiry, like the 'personal inventory' of Twelve-stepping, some of my best work has been in discovering the unconscious beliefs, attitudes, opinions and positions that perpetuate suffering, and choosing to surrender limiting and self-sabotaging underpinnings. Most of the unasked-for programming is survival oriented, not Loving-oriented. I am a work in progress :). The programming of many chapters (lifetimes) seems to take some doing to clean up, lol. Love
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  9:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i used to be all gung ho about the sedona method. from time to time i ask myself can i let this go and stuff like that. it was just too simplistic for my taste. that and i had a hard time continuously asking myself those questions all the time throughout the day which they tell you to do. I still have the book and i hope to read it more in the future to perhaps get more out of it.

i like focusing better.
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  11:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

At Step 3. The way the question is formulated I could not answer "no". My answer would either be: I'd rather have this feeling or I'd rather be free, please. What direction would the following question go then??? It doesn't make sense to me the way it is written now.

Doesn't this question sound similar to Byron Katie's question i.e. "Is there any reason to keep that thought?" You can't say "no" to that either.

In that way both of these methods sound similar except that in Katie's method you identify the thought that's causing the feeling, which is sometimes seem to be difficult for me. In Sedona method it seems like you work with the emotion directly without trying to identify the underlying thought. Can someone who has experience with both the techniques shed some light on the differences? From the various postings it seems that Shanti has used Katie's technique a lot. Have you used the Sedona method as well?
Go to Top of Page

presence

11 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  10:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit presence's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
---------------------------------------
Originally posted by emc

---------------------------------------

What is meant is that if your answer is that you rather want to keep the feeling, its like answering 'No' to the question: "would I let it go".

There is several directions one can follow then, which would take up to much space to explain, but the simplest is just to keep asking the same questions. The recognition that I actually *want* to keep the feeling can in itself make a shift - an increase in awareness. Then I am not just a victim of an emotion, I somehow choose to keep it. Opens a window of possibility.

I use both methods, Sedona works even if you dont know what thought goes along with the feeling (which sometimes can be hard to identify when doing the work). Its more like working with the "pain body" using E.Tolles words, where as The Work is working with the mind, although Sedona also covers this. There is a lot more to Sedona than these 4 steps.
Rahter funny is that where the work says emotions comes because of thoughts, Sedona explains the other way around.
That is not confusing to me, as this is an old discussion in cognitive therapy, and both can be true. Tolle describes it very well - emotions 'feed' the thoughts, i.e. if there is an energy like anger inside, it feeds thoughts like: I want revenge. Without this fuel the thoughts dont have same power.
And vice versa.

It goes very well together with any meditation practice, and can remove 'blocks' of emotional nature, so that inner silence (and peace and love etc.) can be attained again.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  11:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think thoughts come first, but thought patterns can be so habitual that we don't even know we are thinking them. So emotions seem to come first, but an unconscious thought created that emotion. Then we make up conscious thoughts (reasons) to substantiate and rationalize those emotions.
It is the unconscious thought patterns that keep us addicted to that process.

In other words, the usual process is somebody steps on you and you feel anger. Your thoughts tell you that person is wrong for hurting you. But you are preconditioned to feel that anger by your ego, that believes you are too important to be stepped on.
An enlightened person would not feel anger at all, just get out of the way. They know it doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not, and they don't take things personally.

Somebody who is racist for example, feels anger at many things done by the people they hate.
Years of racist thoughts have created an unconscious emotional reaction.
These are things that go away with daily AYP practices.

Edited by - Etherfish on Dec 07 2008 11:16:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  4:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you can truly appreciate this method without reading Lester's own story. He is one of these unlikely avatars. His story is so banal and yet I loved his wonderful happy philosophy. I was really disappointed to find he had died before ever hearing of him. I would have truly liked to meet him face to face.

While the steps of the Sedona Method are basid self enquiry, his understanding of the results of a life filled with letting go is very inspiring and helps you know what is possible when there is Divine Outflowing Love present.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  12:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are far easier and newer methods of emotional release using Time Line Therapy. I use this with clients to release emotions and leave the event untouched (it can be used to completely remove the event if needed).

The problem with something like the Sedona method is that it does not get to the root cause of a problem. Quite often I will see a client that has issues around a recent problem or event. They believe this is the event that needs to be sorted out. mostly the event is just one in a long series of events that re-inforced the emotions around the most recent event. The event can be in a past life either genetically or in real time (quite often we can be going back many generations). TLT is used very successfully in cases of severe trauma and is one of my favourite and most effective tools as it literally changes lives the moment it is applied.

When someone says 'to feel better about something' it really is an answer which requires dedicated meta modelling. The reason for this is.......how would you want to feel better about the event? The client might answer 'happier'. Happy is not quantifiable because how much happiness is possible ? They could feel happy instantly just by changing their physical state (by smiling for instance).

If anyone wants to discuss the application of therapies such as TLT, hypnotic states, changing sub modalities etc I would welcome the opportunity.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000