Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 ways to numb the frenum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  02:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm still having a hard time snipping my frenum, which seems to return to its original length after a few days, unless I stretch intensively everyday after I snip it. Even skipping one day, which I sometimes do, is enough for the frenum to heal back to almost its original length. Now I think a more significant cutting would do the job, and I'm sure I won't cut anything important. Only that the frenum is so thick that it's extremely painful to cut through it now. I wonder if there's any effective ways to numb the frenum? I remember seeing some, but they're scattered throughout the forum. It would be a great idea to list them all up separately, I suppose? I'm looking for non-intrusive ways, without using drugs to paralyzing the tongue.

Let me list one here, which I didn't try due to the difficulty of getting the material regularly:

Using dry ice.

Any other ideas?

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  11:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

Let me list one here, which I didn't try due to the difficulty of getting the material regularly:

Using dry ice.

Alvin, I dont think you can use dry ice in your mouth... maybe you meant regular ice cubes?
quote:
http://www.dry-ice.net/dry-ice-safety.htm
Dry Ice Safety
Dry ice is solidified carbon dioxide (CO2). Dry ice is extremely cold, -109°F (-79°C) and does not melt. Instead, it sublimates (changes directly from solid to gas), releasing CO2. When handled properly, dry ice is safe and easy to use.

Please follow the following guidelines for handling and disposal.

Safe Handling
1)Avoid contact with skin and eyes
Dry ice is extremely cold, -109°F (-79°C) and can cause severe frostbite within seconds of direct contact. (Frostbite is a freezing injury resembling a burn.)

2)Never handle dry ice with your bare hands
Always wear insulated gloves. Safety glasses, long-sleeved shirt, long pants and shoes are also recommended. Use tongs to handle blocks of dry ice.

3)Do not put dry ice in your mouth or otherwise ingest it
If dry ice is accidentally ingested, it can cause severe internal injury. Never put dry ice in beverages to cool them.
(there is more... check out the link
).

You could try Anbesol (or something equivalent that is available in your country).. which is an oral anesthetic whose active ingredient is benzocaine. Or you can use Clove powder/oil.
These are discussed here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=2#1966
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=2#3847

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  11:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alvin:

Good to see you again. It has been a while.

If you have been trimming the frenum all this time for kechari mudra, with little release of the tongue for going back and up, then this may point to an anatomical difference you have. I don't think it would be wise to force the issue with bigger snips, exposing yourself to greater risks than necessary. And do take Shanti's words to heart and forget about the dry ice!

If your bhakti is burning for kechari and you have to do something, then a better course may be to go see a dentist or oral surgeon with laser capability. Then you can be sure you will not be running an excessive health risk. A few around here have gone that route with satisfactory results. The approach to trimming the frenum in Lesson 108 is designed to cover a broad spectrum of people, but obviously not everyone.

Kechari mudra is not an absolute prerequisite for advancement on our spiritual path, and pressing it on principle or intellectual obsession rather than on natural energetic bhakti is not the best approach. Much better to stay focused on our core practices of deep meditation and spinal breathing pranayama for the long term (adding in asanas, samyama and other less extreme measures along the way) -- this combination will take us very far.

It is perfectly okay to be doing kechari stage 1, 1/2, or even 0, as we continue forward. You will know by your own feelings about it. Just self-pace your bhakti to avoid becoming reckless. As we know, bhakti can be reckless sometimes, not minding for our health. It wants it all right now, but that is not how it works on this earth plane, where everything takes time. We are going as fast as we can while preserving life and limb, so we can be here doing practices over the long term.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: Check the Yoga FAQ on Kechari for some more links. Searching the forums for "kechari" and separately for "snip" will turn up many more topics.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  01:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti and Yogani,

Yeah it's been a while. I still keep up with my practices, though sometimes I may skip the afternoon one. The life style here is difficult to keep two practices a day, unless you don't mind living a more lonely life. I do mind!

I don't have a "burning desire" for kechari. Only for spiritual growth. I did add some other practices, particularly yoni mudra, and it does deepen my practices. Yet everytime I do yoni mudra for a few days, pressure starts to build up in my head that I've to stop. Then the progress I've made will be all gone (or at least I think so). It seems the only sustainable practices I could do is spinal breathing and deep meditation. I'm sure I need more. I wanna to kechari mainly because the others are saying it could clear up the energy blockages. So, not a reckless bahkti for kechari, but for spiritual growth. It seems that's the only thing I could do to speed up my purification process......isn't it?

Also, I'm feeling something as I roll my tongue back. (I'm in stage 1.5 now, I guess) But keeping the tongue there is so tiring and distracting that I reckon it would do less on the whole. It would be more relaxing if I can reach stage 2.

I thought about going to a dentist, but I have read in this forum that the gain in length is sometimes minimal, plus the price...... I don't think a dentist will do an aggressive-enough surgery, away....

I know the risk and danger of dry ice and I am not going to put it recklessly in my mouth! The extreme coldness will certainly damage (permanently if for a long time) some skin tissues and that's the dangerious part. What I intended to do is to clip a small piece of dry ice and touch it to the parts where I'm going to snip.

Even though it's super-cold, a small piece of dry ice is still not enough to damage deep underneath the skin. That has something to do with the temperature gradient...math stuff, away.

I tried regular ice cube, but they did very little in numbing my frenum---almost no effect at all. Sure they're not cold enough...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000