Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mind settles down only at the end of 20 mins!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  1:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Many times when I sit on meditation, I can not stay with the mantra even for a short period. The mind is restless. But towards the end of the 20 mins, the mind settles down. The experience is very nice and I even get into just silence without thoughts or mantra for very short periods.

When I get to this stage, this just feels like the beginning of meditation to me. I am tempted to continue the meditation for another 10 or 15 mins. If I do that I feel peaceful during the day. If I just stop at 20 mins when my mind was restless all along, that doesn't even feel like I had meditated.

If I continue this way (not all the time, sometimes the mind settles down immediately when I sit on meditation) will this be considered overdoing? Should I stop at 20 minutes no matter what?

Edited by - rkishan on Nov 16 2007 1:54:49 PM

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  2:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good question, rkishan!

I had the same experience when I started meditating. I kept the 20 minutes no matter what, and I think that's what's strongly recommended. You see, the effect can build up and then hit with force when it "boils over" - a sort of 'sleeping effect' as they call it in science.

What you can be definitely sure of is that the meditation is "working" fine even though there's a lot of mindy thoughts and restlessness during almost the whole session. That's how it has looked for me most of the time, and still looks for me in a majority of sessions. Still, it's having a tremendous effect on my everyday life. That part cannot be stressed enough:

It is not the quality during meditation sessions that determine the success - it's the slowly hightened quality in everyday life that shows the effects! If you feel more calm, happy and satisfied during everyday life in the long run it is the stillness cultivated in meditation that is making itself known.

It can be very counterproductive to increase the time, since the restlessness you feel might be an effect of that very same overdoing!!! Self-pacing would then be necessary. And... you would never really find out which is which if you don't stick to the 20 minutes, and over time discover what effects it has on your life.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  4:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you meditating both mornings and evenings?
Go to Top of Page

Srinivas_Mallya

Singapore
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  05:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Srinivas_Mallya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi EMC,
Even I am experiencing same as What Kishan has explained. Some days Mediation experiences are pleasant and highly satisfactory and some time not as expected . The mind will be tempted to Continue meditation beyond 20 minutes to feel the experiences and expecting to happen it again.
Recently, Yogani has advised the practitioners to strictly adhere to 20 minutes of AYP meditation , so I am not going beyond 20 minutes now.
Currently I am experiencing Tremendous Compassion for others , feeling others problems as my own and recall of past incidents in which I was not able to help the people. These thoughts were hardly conspicuous earlier and now I feel pondering much than expected. Of Course these are good signs, but overindulgence in these thoughts may not be good .As You said , This may be the effect of some overdoing of practices in earlier days and is hitting back now.
Is this phase is transitory or cut short practices until these become normal.

Thanks
Srinivas

Edited by - Srinivas_Mallya on Nov 17 2007 06:49:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  08:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Srinivas_Mallya,

Yes, you are right... the mind is tempted to get more of the goodies and build expectations. It's good to just see and notice that!

The compassion bubbling up, and the regrets of previous actions/non-actions are parts of the purification process, the self-inquiry part of yoga that emerges. Good signs, as you say, I agree, as long as you don't either indulge in them or start believing you are either good or bad due to what's bubbling up.

Just notice what's coming and get to know thyself!

It will surely change, everything changes. I'd say cutting back on practices is only necessary if you feel negativity or lots of bad feelings.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  08:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Srinivas_Mallya

Currently I am experiencing Tremendous Compassion for others , feeling others problems as my own and recall of past incidents in which I was not able to help the people. These thoughts were hardly conspicuous earlier and now I feel pondering much than expected. Of Course these are good signs, but overindulgence in these thoughts may not be good.
Is this phase is transitory or cut short practices until these become normal.

Hi Srinivas,
Yes it is a phase.. a purification/opening phase if you want to call it that.. the feeling of outpouring of love. It will settle down. You have the concept right.. don't over indulge in this.. let it pass. Enjoy it.. but don't attach to it. This really is our natural state.. and what you are experiencing are glimpses of this.. later it (love) will not have an adjective attached to it (like compassion).. it will be just love... with no strings (or should say adjectives ) attached.
Just keep going. You are doing great. Unless of course your feelings of compassion are making you uncomfortable.. in which case you may want to look into self pacing.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  08:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rkishan

Many times when I sit on meditation, I can not stay with the mantra even for a short period. The mind is restless. But towards the end of the 20 mins, the mind settles down. The experience is very nice and I even get into just silence without thoughts or mantra for very short periods.

When I get to this stage, this just feels like the beginning of meditation to me. I am tempted to continue the meditation for another 10 or 15 mins. If I do that I feel peaceful during the day. If I just stop at 20 mins when my mind was restless all along, that doesn't even feel like I had meditated.

If I continue this way (not all the time, sometimes the mind settles down immediately when I sit on meditation) will this be considered overdoing? Should I stop at 20 minutes no matter what?

Hi Rkishan,
I will agree with what EMC has said, don't go over 20 min. Keep in mind.. AYP meditation is not just about the silence.. its also about purification as a result of the mantra... and more than 20 min of mantra will result in too much purification.. something that is no fun. If you feel like you are really deep and don't want to end your meditation, take that silence with you to the rest period after practice.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  4:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This brings to mind the questions I had too when I first started with AYP after coming from a different system. My experiences are similar.
So, I'm wondering now if there are any of us using AYP who are pushing the 20 minutes, doing 25 min, or 30, etc. I wonder if they might reply here about how there meditation experience is going? Hence my post the other day regarding possible polls for the forum.
At any rate I'm doing the 20x2 but, same as rkishan, so much mind stuff floating about. Sometimes when a peaceful spot comes then I find after I come out of the meditation that I've gone over time and done 28 or 30 minutes or so. I don't think that on those few days I've had any worse symptoms. In fact with one exception, all my symptoms are very pleasant. Only since starting amaroli have I had any problem.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  6:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Little Turtle,
The wandering mind is only signs of purification going on and should reduce as the nervous system becomes further purified.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Srinivas_Mallya

Singapore
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  9:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Srinivas_Mallya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many Thanks to EMC and Shanti for Your guidance.
I will not Cut short my Practices unless Discomfort or any negative feelings arise.

Thanks
Srinivas

Edited by - Srinivas_Mallya on Nov 17 2007 9:39:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  9:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks emc, Shanti Dave & others. Sorry I was away on vacation for a week and forgot to check this topic when I got back.

Guess I just have to stick to 20 mins of meditation twice a day, even though it is really tempting to extend it a little bit some times.

If I do other japa (recitation) during the day (not with the same mantra used on meditation), would that be too much also?
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  9:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

Are you meditating both mornings and evenings?

Yes.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  12:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How long have you been doing the practices?

I doubt you'll have any life threatening effects if you do a relaxation technique before each session. The system is designed to yield results over time, but if you feel it will help you make what you consider progress, experimenting will not kill you. However, others here have mentioned the indirect consequences of overdoing it. It can effect you at work and in relationships.

There are tons of relaxation techniques, and they all work well. Observing the exhale has always worked the best for me. With each exhale, the body becomes more still. Do a few breaths, or a few minutes of whatever technique you choose, and then pick up on your normal routine.

If you have a lot of things going on in your life, have a lot of places to be and things to do, the symptoms could reveal themselves more and begin to work against you. If you can rest, it might not affect you as much or at all. You'll have to decide for yourself and choose responsibly.

If you are just beginning with your practices, you might want to press on a bit longer. There is nothing wrong with that because you will still get massive results and can learn a great deal of knowledge by observing the changes over time. Adding or changing things skews the results. There is much to learn from tuning into the subtle layers. Another approach might be doing some sort of exorcise to increase your capacity to concentrate.

When the mind drifts, it creates images and sensations that cause further drift, and rouses the body at the same time. When you can hold or fixate the mind in stillness, as with a breath taking view, the body will quickly relax. It is easy to become lost in another series of thoughts, which again rouses the body. The mind will energize the body and the body will energize the mind. A healthy capacity to concentrate helps to settle both down and maintain that state of relaxation.

It might not be related to your practices, it could be a life situation or your diet of late. There's probably a hundred other things you could do outside of typical yoga practices that could also help you to be more relaxed for your meditation.

Edited by - Kyman on Dec 02 2007 02:09:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  01:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rkishan,
quote:

You could always experiment for a while and see what happens. Try 30 mins twice a day and see if you get any signs of going over. You can always try 25 mins first, and then 30 mins after a week or two just to be on the safe side. You may find that your mind will go to silence more easily after a while, and you can cut back to 20 mins.

Just be careful... it's a powerful thing!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  08:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rkishan

If I do other japa (recitation) during the day (not with the same mantra used on meditation), would that be too much also?

Yes, you can continue with japa and/or chanting during the day... and you have the right idea.. not to chant the "i am" mantra...
Just don't overdo anything.. remember everything in moderation.. Also keep self-pacing in mind if there are symptoms of overdoing.

Here is what Yogani has to say:
quote:
Lesson 226 - Q&A – Expansion on our mind
If you undertake other mantras during the day, like Gayatri, it will
certainly speed up purification, but maybe excessively. With all the
good techniques available these days, the challenge is not in
achieving the purification. It is in digesting it in a way that
facilitates stable progress and the rise of ecstatic bliss over the
long term. The lessons take a particular approach to the task. There
are other approaches too. Mixing them together may not bring the best
results.

You can read up more on Chanting in the Yoga FAQs.

Edited by - Shanti on Dec 02 2007 08:59:13 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000