Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Switching mantras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  5:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if it's ok to just try different mantras during your meditation, or just maybe doing a different mantra throughout the day. I'm asking because i read about the Maha Mrityunjaya mantra in a yoga magazine yesterday and i think it might help me with my headaches and other psychological problems that i have.
So is it a good idea or bad idea, and what are the reason for each?

Thanks

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  11:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddie:

Don't forget the analogy about digging the well. If you want to strike water, keep digging in one place. If practice is related to headaches, then self-pace and ground as needed. And take plenty of rest before getting up after practice. Balance is the key, not more mantras or more practice done randomly.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  12:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddie,
Although the MahaMritunjaya can be used for meditation(I have had intiation and used it myself to good effect)it is generally used for specific purposes not connected to simply purification.One of the uses is to increase energy when healing others but by healing others you diminish the energy created for purification therefore slowing down ones progress on the path.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  10:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
man it's so tough though with everything out there. at least for me. here i am doing the maha mrityunjaya mantra like 5 times a day with 40 repitions each time.
i'm trying to settle myself i really am. maybe i cut it down to twice a day and before i do asans. that seems right.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  10:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you don't think its a good idea to switch up mantra in your spare time even.
I think i have a strong attraction to this mantra...
Go to Top of Page

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  11:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Eddie,

I just want to know , if possible, how long and what ayp practices have you done? The reason I'm asking is that I had not done any yoga practices before stumbling onto Yogani's system around 8 months ago. I am from a scientific background and generally a skeptic on most things esoteric, however, the system just simply works!!!!!! That being said, there is plenty of ebb and flow. I am also surprised at how much work is necessary with the system. The practices only take me around 45 minutes twice a day, however, the cultivation of the witness brings forth the ability to observe the machinations of the mind. This allows for , in Yogani's words, "relational self-inquiry" which if you have thought associated issues like me (negative thought loops, guilt, impulsivity, etc.....) does take time and patience to weather.

What's funny is that I have a hard time communicating how effective ayp has been for me because I'm still in the early stages. As with most wonderful things, the impulse is to share with family, friends and even total strangers. However, I've had some issues with achievement as of late and my perception is that my friends and families willingness to listen or try out is tempered by their awareness of my academic woes. To keep it short and simple, now I just tell them (and ofcourse I'm telling you) that Ayp is so good and feels so essential that I would not trade the ability to practice it for millions of dollars!!

I am not advocating the position that ayp will work for everyone to the same degree but I would strongly urge you to consider atleast a six month trial period of meditation and pranayama using yogani's prescribed methods exclusively. This should give you enough evidence with regards to the efficacy of the system and whether its suited to your physiology.

Remember, your mind is what keeps you jumping from one set of practices to another and then another. My advice again is to settle on ayp for a while. This might take a lot of will power since your tendency seems to be of a multiple well digger but soon the will power will receive a tremendous push from the cultivation of the witness. I can see Ayp completely changing my life for the better but unlike self help books or infomercials that promise instant results, the system will take time but I just can't imagine it not working as long as you are not sabotaging with intoxicants or draining prana by not practicing tantra.

take care and good luck with your path
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  1:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's only a very wise suggestion to have a steady practice. You don't have to listen to it...by all means, figure out for yourself what works and what doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  2:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i did it for a couple weeks around last arpil, or may. something like that. i'm really not good with long term time. weeks falls like leaves for me.

now i've been doing it for like a month and a half or so and i enjoy it thus far. i just have way too much time on my hands to read and think about so many different things and i get caught in endless cycles of analyzing teachings, self-contempt andplenty of illusions if you will. right now i'm really trying to balance myself out and i think it's working but i also feel like its a long process and it's gonna take time. but i do see things unfolding for me though.

i do think AYP is an excellent starter point for me. and i intend to use it steadily for as long as i can. it's gonna be tough but i see myself settling on it already. i'll probably add things on very gradullay that i'm COMPLETLEY certain would be good for me. i as well am extremly skeptical which gets me into a lot of trouble.

latley i think the mantra has been doing a good job dragging my poor but out of my thoughts. the headaches that i have are solidifying into a very dense mass in my head, which i've read is a good thing. eventually i predict my headaches to solidify to a point where they disapear or just merge into the rest of my energy. something like that.

also i would really like to talk to people over the phone if there available and willing. i need to branch myself out of this cave that i've made for myself. if anyones interested, contact me at ejkidney33@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  7:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie33
...headaches

Of course lots of things can contribute to headache. Caffeine withdrawal and insufficient hydration are two that I check if I have a headache.
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  04:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddie,
Way too much time on your hands? Then what if you tried combining your yoga practices with more action in everyday 'real' life. While any action is good, if you can find something that to do which you feel gives you a chance to give and to give of yourself, then the stronger and more positive effect it'll have on you. From the yoga perspective it'll give you a chance to apply any inner silence you've built up - and believe me, you'll feel better in everything you do do.

And I think you'll find that it comes full circle: that the things you do in your life will then leave extra room inside for you to build up more inner silence.

To be
To do
We need them both

Tallis
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  3:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i rmemebr i went on a tibetan buddhist retrat last winter and when i was the i ditictly remember the guy rich who was chanting to himself when washing the dishes. other people there tended to do this as well.
you think it's ok to chant a mantra as if i'm humming a tune. i been doing this latley with the maha mtitunjaya mantra and i actually like it a lot more than i thought i would. i really feel a strong connection with this mantra
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  03:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddie
quote:
I was wondering if it's ok to just try different mantras during your meditation, or just maybe doing a different mantra throughout the day. I'm asking because i read about the Maha Mrityunjaya mantra in a yoga magazine yesterday and i think it might help me with my headaches and other psychological problems that i have.
So is it a good idea or bad idea, and what are the reason for each?
I think this is a good plan. Chanting outwardly and singing the mantra will not have the same overload effect. By doing this through your daily activities it will also help keep you in the present moment with that activity. This is bringing the fruits of meditation into daily life.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  08:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddie,
I have posted a reply to JohnC http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3193#27444 that may help you.

Here is what Yogani has to say:
quote:
Lesson 226 - Q&A – Expansion on our mind
If you undertake other mantras during the day, like Gayatri, it will
certainly speed up purification, but maybe excessively. With all the
good techniques available these days, the challenge is not in
achieving the purification. It is in digesting it in a way that
facilitates stable progress and the rise of ecstatic bliss over the
long term. The lessons take a particular approach to the task. There
are other approaches too. Mixing them together may not bring the best
results.

You can read up more on Chanting in the Yoga FAQs.
Go to Top of Page

Eddie33

USA
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  12:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddie33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the maha mrityunjaya has definitley taken me out of my head so far. I been chanting it when doing mundane activities such as doing the dishes and cleaning.
I'm actually very satisfied with the way my practice has been going. I've been a lot more consistent aht in the past. And i only see it getting better.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000