Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 strange pulsations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  12:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been building yoni mudra kumbhaka into my routine, and from the start it has brought me weird and wonderful things. (I do try not to get hung up on the experiences…) For the first week or so I saw The Star on pretty much every occasion, usually towards the end of each of the three rounds of kumbhaka. Since then, it has mostly disappeared, but in the last week something else has started occurring – something which I’m not sure I should worry about or not.

Recently, towards the end of each round of kumbhaka my chest starts to heave: up, out and then down, strong enough to pull me out of my usual sitting position if I don’t resist it. At first I thought maybe it was related to heartbeat, especially since the movements originate in the area around the heart. The pulsations themselves, though, are slower: about twice as long and independent from the tempo of the heart. It is a completely involuntary movement and in the irresistable, inwardly throbbing sensation feels strangely similar to an orgasm, except that what is happening brings no pleasure. It is simply a physical act, bringing neither positive nor negative emotions.

I don’t believe the pulsations are related to the need for a new breath. Before AYP I did quite a bit of nadi shodana with extended kumbhaka, and never experienced anything like this. I also tried simply holding my breath this morning – independently from AYP practices – and likewise nothing happened.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
Oh, I should add that my heart is in good shape. I do a lot of running, and it’s never let me down!

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  4:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis... I'm sorry to say that I've never experienced this kind of pulsation so I don't know what it is unless it is just part of your own unique purification going on...

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2007 :  04:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis,
When did you begin the ayp meditation? Are you combining it with what you practised before?
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  04:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sadhak,
I've been doing AYP for the last three months, and all feels well. No, I'm not combining it with other practices. My routine is: nauli, 10 minutes of spinal breathing, 3 rounds yoni mudra kumbhaka, 20 minutes of IAM meditation and samyana. From your question about combining with other practices, are you implying that you think it might a question of over-doing things? I do feel good during sadhana and in everyday life - it's just that any 'symptoms' in the area of the heart naturally make me want to double-check for safety reasons. But like I said, it's definitely not the heart itself which is pulsating/throbbing.

Edited by - tallis on Nov 12 2007 06:45:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  06:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy,
Good to know I'm just a weirdo!
Seriously, though, it is interesting to learn what a common or uncommon response is to the practices I/we do. Maybe someday someone will catalogue everything, kind of like they do in homeopathy: for each 'remedy' (or practice in our case) a long list of major and minor symptoms. Maybe I'll have time when my kids grow up...
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  11:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tallis

Not sure if it's the same thing but I often get pulsations in my body when meditating.
Sometimes it would be like a single pulse going through my whole body (although I havn't had that for a while), but more often it would be the kundalini waving up my spine, which gives the impression of a pulse, it can rock the body back and forth. I think this is fairly normal in this line of work.
Even though I feel the wave I don't experience any conductivity either.

Havn't experienced the chest thing.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  4:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,
Thanks for your ideas. I don't get ecstatic conductivity either, just lots of tingling - feels like static electricity - up and down my back, neck and head, during SB and sometimes meditation. But that's not kundalini, is it? (Actually, I've no idea what it really is. Can you clue me in please?!)

Surely my pulsation thing couldn't be kundalini either, could it, if it's not rooted in the spine? And doesn't it have to originate at either the root chakra or the crown? For me it is totally localised in the centre of the chest.

In your case, when kundalini rocks your body, does it tend to be from side to side (ida/pingala related) or can it be front/back as well?
Sorry about all these questions! I'm just curious!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  5:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well tallis I'm probably not the pest person here to talk of this, but I'll give it a go.
I'm not sure of the distinction between energy, prana and kundalini, if any.
I would think that if you are doing pranayama spinal breathing and you are experiencing tingling and static then it probably is kundalini.
It manifests in many forms - hot, cold, tingles, static, ecstacy, pulses and probably many more.

So it sounds like you are doing great. As you keep going the experience will probably change.
As you know, it is interesting but nevertheless all scenery along the way.

I would guess the pulse in the heart is also kundalini, maybe a sign that your heart is opening a bit more, sounds good.
It's good to know that your physical heart is in good shape, that's always a question when these things are considered.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Cheers
Louis

PS.
quote:
In your case, when kundalini rocks your body, does it tend to be from side to side (ida/pingala related) or can it be front/back as well?
Sorry about all these questions! I'm just curious!

When I'm meditating I could go into a small forward and back movement. If I play with this and go side to side, my body wants to move quite a lot in a wavy side movement. This would upset the meditation so I don't do this.

Edited by - Sparkle on Nov 12 2007 5:25:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  04:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again the explanation, Louis, and also for describing your own experiences. From reading old forum posts, it seems like there's a lot of confusion out there regarding the difference between prana and kundalini... It actually ties in with Christi's post in 'prana, apana,' so I'm going to see if I can get his take on the subject as well.

Edited by - tallis on Nov 14 2007 06:05:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  08:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis

quote:
it seems like there's a lot of confusion out there regarding the difference between prana and kundalini... It actually ties in with Christi's post in 'prana, apana,' so I'm going to see if I can get his take on the subject as well.

I have done my best to explain how I see the difference between prana and kundalini in the prana/ apana topic here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2936#27061

Your heart experiences sound very much like a heart chakra opening. I get things like this happening occasionally. I don't do yoni mudra kumbaka as part of my practice, but I had a go and managed to replicate what you describe. If you are worried then you could cut out the YMK for a while. If not then I don't think there is any danger.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  4:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,
Interesting to hear that, if you too can replicate the pulsations, they might be a standard response to yoni mudra kumbaka. My wife also said she thought it might be related to a heart chakra opening.

One thing I've noticed since originally posting this is that both mulabanda and jalandara are definitely involved in the process of the throbbing sensation. I experimented leaving them out yesterday and today during some of the rounds of kumbaka, and their absence reduced the strength of the sensations by 80-90%. I guess their 'locking' effect increases energy in the trunk region, in my case collecting in the heart region?

It occurred to me that the sensations are of the same quality as that in your prana/apana exercise, except that the quantity is vastly stronger in yoni mudra kumbaka. The same energy at work, I suppose: prana. I'm not worried about the symptom; from now on I'll just go with the flow - or should I say its flow!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  02:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis
quote:
One thing I've noticed since originally posting this is that both mulabanda and jalandara are definitely involved in the process of the throbbing sensation. I experimented leaving them out yesterday and today during some of the rounds of kumbaka, and their absence reduced the strength of the sensations by 80-90%. I guess their 'locking' effect increases energy in the trunk region, in my case collecting in the heart region?

I would agree with you. I tried it twice. The first time only with YMK and did not experience this effect. The second time I tried it using YMK whilst raising my crown chakra with attention. This has a similar effect on the body as Mulabhanda and udyanabhanda, raising prana up the body, although it is less stable. The second time was when I experienced the heart energetics.

quote:
It occurred to me that the sensations are of the same quality as that in your prana/apana exercise, except that the quantity is vastly stronger in yoni mudra kumbaka. The same energy at work, I suppose: prana. I'm not worried about the symptom; from now on I'll just go with the flow - or should I say its flow!

Yes.. I agree, it is prana, but now I think we are dealing with the udana energy (one of the 5 main pranas in the human body). I am really guessing here, but the reason I say this is because in the texts it says that the udana energy has an anti gravitational effect. I have experienced that as this energy (which here we are bringing into the heart center) expands in strength, and speed of flow, it begins to raise the physical body off the floor. That's why I think it is udana, rather than prana or apana.

But it is all "under the hood" as Yogani would say, and shouldn't distract us from our daily practices.

Edited by - Christi on Nov 23 2007 07:43:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  3:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,
Yes, the sensation does feel anti-gravitational, so what you say about it being udana energy makes sense to me too. But isn't prana (as one of the five pranas) also upward-moving?

You're right: all this is 'under the hood' and shouldn't distract us from our daily practices. For me, though, knowledge and the exploration of all these details underlying the big picture just increases my bhakti, so no worries there!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  08:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis
quote:
Yes, the sensation does feel anti-gravitational, so what you say about it being udana energy makes sense to me too. But isn't prana (as one of the five pranas) also upward-moving?

Yes it is, but I have never heard the prana current, as one of the 5 pranas, being described as anti-gravitational. That's why I assume this stronger upward movement is udana, and the current which draws the breath inwards is the prana current.

quote:
You're right: all this is 'under the hood' and shouldn't distract us from our daily practices. For me, though, knowledge and the exploration of all these details underlying the big picture just increases my bhakti, so no worries there!

I always find it really hard to stay with the mantra when my body starts rising up. But I agree, seeing how it all fits together increases my devotion also.
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  3:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You mean, Christi, that you experience udana currents trying to lift you also while you meditate? I can imagine how hard it is to keep to the mantra then! At least while it happens during yoni mudra kumbhaka there's less to concentrate on (besides the actual mechanics of the mudra), and therefore it is less distracting. If it happens to you during meditation as well, does the current lift you in similar pulsations/waves to the ones we feel during YMK?

I take your point now about the distinction between anti-gravitational udana and simple upward-moving prana currents. - In which case, this definitely feels like udana, given how it tries to lift you.
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  3:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I had a quick look at the website reference (houseofthesun) you gave on the other thread. Not had a chance yet to read it properly, but it looks like there's a lot of interesting info in there. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  01:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis,

quote:
If it happens to you during meditation as well, does the current lift you in similar pulsations/waves to the ones we feel during YMK?

No, it is a continuous flow of energy, going up the body and out of the top of the head. The throbbing/ pulsating thing coming in waves that are slower than the heartbeat, seems to be something peculiar to the heart chakra.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000