Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Cobra Breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ycloutier2000

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  10:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Have any of you heard of something called "Cobra Breath"? Any specific details?

At Ur Mercy

Netherlands
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  01:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit At Ur Mercy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is almost no information on internet to be found regarding the Cobra breath. But there are a lot of workshops were they will teach the cobra breath.

From what I understand it's a practice that comes close to lets say a Spinal breathing session with all the mudra's and bandha's firm in place [The whole body mudra Yogani talks about] but instead of breathing out through the nose you breath out through the mouth with your tongue a little curved up and out of your mouth while making a 'sssh' sound.

http://gurujiamrita.tripod.com/see_goddess2.htm

You may sit at the edge of a seat with the edge of your
buttocks resting on it, and keep your hands on your knee
caps. Then your spine will become erect and you just can't
fall asleep. Or, if you have a back problem, you can rest
your back against a wall with a pillow supporting the back.
This should be OK. Both these postures allow you to forget
your body and connect you to the wheel of power in the crown
of your head. The other posture which gives you a mild
pleasure is the following. If you are a female of a light
build, press lightly your right or left heel into your
vagina. You are likely to experience sexual pleasure which
is desirable and not to be worried about. If you are of a
heavy build and unable to do so, you may make a ball of a
napkin and sit on it in such a way that it has a similar
effect.
For men the best posture is to press a heel lightly between
the base of the penis and the testes such that a light
erection takes place. Or else, make a ball of a napkin and
sit on it to press on the ejaculatory sphincter muscle
between the testes and the anus. This posture does not allow
ejaculation to take place. Technically it is the easiest
alternative to Siddha asana, the posture of attainment.
Once you settle down in a sitting posture, there are two
mudras and two bandhas which you will practice, each seven
times. The first of the mudras is called Aswini, discovered
by observing the mare. This mudra repeatedly tightens, holds
and releases the anal muscles. The second mudra is called
Shakti Chalana, which means moving the energy. This mudra is
similar; but works with muscles which control passage of
urine. To do this mudra properly, you have to observe first
what muscles are acting when passing urine and suddenly
cause the flow to stop. By repeatedly doing this you will
learn to exercise the proper muscles only. The purpose of
both these mudras is to arouse the desire for sex, but not
to satisfy it there. The desire has to be released by a
mental orgasm.
After exercising each mudra seven times, you do the anal
lock and tummy lock seven times each as follows. Take a deep
breath filling the belly out like a woman in her late
pregnancy, contract both the urinary and anal muscles, hold
it as long as comfortable, and release the breath with a
hissing ?Sssss? sound making it come out of a curled tongue
projecting slightly out of the mouth. This is also called
the Cobra breath, or the Kundalini breath by ancient Yogis.

This is Mula bandha, the anal lock. The next step is to
exhale fully, pull the tummy in and up like a lion, exerting
a pull on the muscles surrounding the gentals. This is
called Uddyana Bandha. Do each of these bandhas 7 times.

This is the only info I could find where somebody directly linked an action to the word 'Cobra breath'. All other sites talk about following workshops, that this is a VERY SECRET technique, and that sort of stuff.

The Cobra breath in itself is not so special I think. It's part of Kriya Yoga if I'm right.
I don't know if you already read all this info, but this is from another site I found:

http://www.heartnspirit.com/The_Practice.html

Ipsalu Tantra Kundali Kriya Yoga

The key to this system of practices is the Cosmic Cobra Breath, a precious gift to humankind from MahaAvatar Babaji. This ancient breath technique was long held secret because of its great power. It prepares the mind and body for the controlled movement of Kundalini. Kundalini is Life Force, or Consciousness, one expression of which is sexual energy. When sexual energy moves upward, it enlightens you. In normal sex, the energy flows downward to drain you.

Cobra Breath reverses the flow of sexual energy to turn it into your most valuable resource. The secret teachings of many traditions use kundalini energy to rejuvenate the body, empower the mind and awaken the soul. The Breath pulls magnetic (shakti) energy into the spine, magnetizing the cerebro-spinal fluid, allowing Kundalini to move up the spine. As the brain bathes in this magnetized fluid, the nervous system is transformed. You awaken to a new consciousness. Learn the Cosmic Cobra Breath with Stacey Wilkinson in the 6 Series Practicum Course.

Kriya Yoga:
Cobra Breath is the capstone of the science of Kriya Yoga. "Kriya" means "action" and refers to the conscious manipulation of energy through the body. The other yogic tools from this sacred science, which we use in support of the Cobra Breath, include the following:

ASANAS: Postures to purify the physical vehicle
PRANAYAMA: Breathing techniques to expand consciousness
DHYANA: Meditation to attune yourself to the Divine Current
MANTRAS: Transcendent sounds which resonate in the body
YANTRAS: Visual manifestations of mantras
MUDRAS: Gestures to activate body currents
BANDHAS: Energy locks to conserve and move pranic energy
MAITHUNA:Sexual Union

So Cobra breath is then only a small part of a whole system of practices. Just like Spinal breathing in AYP.

Go to Top of Page

Allisonw

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  08:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allisonw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The website mentioned for Cobra Breath has been changed to:

http://www.heartnspirit.com/practice.html

Namaste,
Allison
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2013 :  3:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A contact 'initiated' me with the level 1 method, and it was used for a few months twice-daily integrated with AYP, but it naturally fell away in favor of the simplicity of SBP to which it is just about identical when considering its enhancements.

It is intended to be used after a good deal of experience with some tantric-kriya yoga methods, and even then in a very limited way. The higher levels apparently become more elaborate (the lessons here have their own take on complexity), while the final ones are only acquired in dreams, visions, etc. AYP SBP does not hold one back with such prerequisites, and considering it is recommended anywhere between 2-20 min, twice a day or more, it is much more aggressive and yet does not carry the same warnings or limitations.

There are a few versions floating around, and while I don't know enough about their varied origins, it should be enough to say they are very different. It remains to be seen whether such methods protected and upheld by secrecy and initiation alone will endure and come to the forefront, or be burried among many other worthwhile contenders. The lessons of history have already shown the course of oral traditions and those encrypted by occult symbolism. Overall, I'm not speaking for or against the method, which I truly hope has it's merits, but I do take issue with accepting any teachings that attempt to claim ownership over my free speech, knowledge, conduct, etc., and that perhaps has been the prime factor in losing interest. I hope this is of some help to members here so you don't feel as if you are missing something in practice: you are not.

But don't take my word for it, see for yourself, get the initiation, and report back if you can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000