Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Nada Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  03:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
so is Nada the source of all mantras and wouldn't giving attention to the inner sound cause bliss conciousness quite naturally without having to mentally think the mantra?

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  11:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done some looking into nada yoga, and determined that it's not compatible with AYP, because it gets too close to the crown (that's a simplification).

I do something nada-esque, though, that's a bit of a compromise: when I start mantra, I don't actually start mantra. I listen for it, in the heart. I don't listen for a long time, I don't make a big production out of it. I just allow it to crescendo in my heart of its own accord, and if I hear nothing, I simply start mentally intoning it.

If you want to do nada yoga or work the crown, that's your decision, but it's veering wildly away from AYP. Does that mean it doesn't work? Of course not. But one thing's for sure: AYP does work, and it's a nice clearly delineated path. So I do my little decorations (like above) but never veer out of sight of the AYP pathway.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  12:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

Have to confer with you there about nada hitting the crown,certainly when I was heavily into Nada I had many shall we say unusual energy episodes,such that I Knocked it on the head(no pun intended:))
I mentioned this to a Mantra teacher here http://www.mantra-yoga.com/ whom I got to know and actually came to my house(big wow for me,lol )and he said to listen to the nada with my heart and not head and that made a huge difference.
thanks Jim
Go to Top of Page

kriyawit

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  12:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by snake

so is Nada the source of all mantras and wouldn't giving attention to the inner sound cause bliss conciousness quite naturally without having to mentally think the mantra?

This is a buried topic but on seeing I decided to reply in the affirmative and as has already been stated listening in the heart is very good.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol Kriyawit.thanks for your response ,7 years since i posted that :)but not buried anymore thanks to you :)
Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  09:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

I've done some looking into nada yoga, and determined that it's not compatible with AYP, because it gets too close to the crown (that's a simplification).

If you want to do nada yoga or work the crown, that's your decision, but it's veering wildly away from AYP. Does that mean it doesn't work? Of course not. But one thing's for sure: AYP does work, and it's a nice clearly delineated path. So I do my little decorations (like above) but never veer out of sight of the AYP pathway.

Namaste All,

This is an intriguing thread and I am frankly, a bit confused why it has received so little attention here. Is not Nada the source of all Yogic aspiration? Tis the all-pervasive sound of AUM which draws our attention into the transcendence within the vortex of the Bindu.

It is so emphasized in the Upanishads and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, that I assumed that all systems of Yogic study, honor it's vital importance for immersion into the Supreme reality behind appearances and manifestations.

But I can only speak from my own sadhana and direct experiences, but of course, and how the quintessential sound current pulls the conscious-awareness of the witness to existence (I AM), into the fulcrum of the Bindu. At this finest point of Divine being, all is totally silent and all is wholly, and indivisibly, insubstantial. Such a single point is the union of Jivatman and Paramatman,which culminates in the remembrance of Parusha. We recall being the infinite expression of Ishvara, as it flows out of the Absolute nature of Brahman.

I wholly agree that this realization must effectively settle within the Spiritual Heart of each soul awakening to the Truth of the Supreme Reality... for the union of Heaven and Earth is exactly what all Yogas are intrinsically about. In this harmonious way, there is no dispute between Sri Krishna, Lord Buddha, Sri Patanjali, Sri Shankaracharya, Lord Chaitanya, Sri Aurobindo or Sri Ramana Maharshi. Truth is One, paths are many.

The only differences detectable exist within the human mind and it's nearly endless ways of dividing this from that. when the mind stops and the breath slows to a stillness and a deep quietude... even the Nada becomes free of any subtle vibration. All veils dissipate in the emptiness of the ineffable, Clear Light of the Void.

I do not challenge,nor would I be so rude to do so. I am simply curious why Nada Yoga or Surat Shabd Yoga, would be in any way incompatible with the AYP system of Yogic training? Is not all of this physical creation and the myriad parallel levels of existential being, truly composed of bands of sound frequency?

All sounds issue forth from the Sacred AUM vibration, born of the very Heart of the Eternal Bindu. Are not all of these tones emanating out of the unspoken quietude of the Parusha (beyond any movement or vibration and completely without form)?

Through the Light and the Omniscient Word, all things are revealed in their indivisible sameness, their seamless symbiosis and unbroken unity. Does not the sound Current channel itself through the conceiving minds, feeling hearts and material lips of Yogis, through sequentially subtler and subtler veils of pure idea (or perhaps rays/membranes of Universal Mind)?

Again,I am respectfully curious and not being debative or challenging. I seek harmony and understanding about all things. Why does this direct immersion with Nada seem incompatible with any Yogic system?

Hari Om Tat Sat, Govinda
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  10:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Govinda:

Thanks much for your perspective on this. Nada is not incompatible with AYP, but might be incompatible for individual practitioners who do not have a perceptible AUM vibration occurring (no object for meditation), or for those who might be inclined to engage in intensive practice too early at the crown, leading to a premature opening there and the challenges that come with that.

From the AYP perspective, it is a matter of what will be a suitable starting point and long term path that will serve the largest number of practitioners for effective progress with comfort and safety. It has been found that proactive easy meditation with mantra and gradual unfoldment into advancing stages of development, with self-pacing as needed, provides a fairly wide and reliable path for large numbers of people. That is what we are looking for in sharing the AYP resources.

As practitioners find inner experiences opening up as you have described, then there will be more options, and many of the discussions that occur here are for considering those options. But I think delving deeply into practices early on that have critical experiential prerequisites is not the way to help the largest number of practitioners along on their path. All things in their own time. We are certainly open to effective means applied at the right time, and are always exploring and discussing the options openly. In the meantime, the AYP lessons and books are designed to provide a "baseline" (safe harbor) which can be used by anyone at any stage along their path, from beginning to advanced. This does not preclude the use of any other practices when they may become compatible with the individual practitioner's natural inclinations at any point in time.

It is similar with the various non-dual self-inquiry approaches that are often discussed here. There is a time for them for sure, when abiding inner silence (witness) has reached a point where inquiry will be occurring naturally in stillness -- "relational" in stillness, which is an application of samyama and very effective for self-inquiry.

Likewise with nada. It will have utility when the AUM vibration is perceptible, drawing the attention naturally. If intentional engagement is applied at that point, it will be the practitioner's choice. It is a very individual thing. With prudent self-pacing, just about anything can be tried without much risk of overdoing to the point of flying off the rails. So there are no real taboos in AYP. There is only the middle way, which tends to be somewhat different for each of us.

Thanks again for your valuable sharings, and all the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: While there has been a leaning in the previous discussion toward the perception of AUM in the third eye and/or crown, it is also possible for AUM/nada and other inner sounds to begin and end in the infinite reaches of the heart space (anahata - meaning unstruck sound). As with any aspect of the subtle neurobiology, becoming absorbed in nada in the heart space does not bypass the need for prudent self-pacing if excessive purification is occurring.

If nada meditation is undertaken, the suggestion would be to not do it at the expense of our daily deep meditation routine, if we have one established. In many cases, it will be deep meditation with mantra that brings the perception of inner sound -- cause and effect. Continuing with cause will advance the effect over time, and not necessarily the other way around.

PPS: Here is another topic where nada yoga has come up. A search reveals that nada has come up in many topics in the forums. Feel free to expand the discussion as desired:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=6517

Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2013 :  10:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you dear kind Soul,

You have made yourself most perfectly clear. It's like looking into a jewel and finding a mufti-faceted reflection of spiritual equanimity. A grounded and practical foundation, one of deep purpose and intended balance.

Seems an integrated sense of peace and progressive illumination pervades such a middle-path. Truly, this aspiration and approach feels like the Raja Yoga to me. Such a well-rounded curriculum, like that which was taught waaaaaaay back in the Golden Age, now brought into the 21st century. I respect this deeply.

My ow direct experiences shape my pathway... even as I still myself enough to realize there is actually no real journey. Sequential reality is the most mesmerizing of illusions. We all begin in the blinding brilliance of the Divine Light and likewise, we awaken within the radiance of this Supreme Light. We are the Light. We are surely are That.

How lovely is this? Namaste to all of you fine people. thank you for welcoming into your Yogic community. It is an honor, really, one not taken for granted.

We are each reflections of the Godhead. As such, we aspire towards symbiosis and unity. We joyfully share this loving vibration together, even as we unfold as ever-expanding souls, eager to embrace the fulcrum of the Absolute Reality (in all of it's effulgence and resplendent glory).

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  12:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Is not Nada the source of all Yogic aspiration?

The funny thing is that everywhere I've looked for the source of yogic aspiration, I've always found it. When I look to my heart, I find the source of all Yogic aspiration. When I look to God, I find it. Looking to nature, to my sensory inputs, to bliss, to silence, to art and creativity and beauty and love. Everywhere I look, if I look deeply and earnestly, I've found the source of all yogic aspiration.

So it must be that the looker himself is that source. That's the only explanation, no?

That, in turn, explains all these varied paths of yoga. Is bhakti the source of all yogic aspiration? Karma? Jnana? Siddha/shaktipat? Nada? The answer, always, is "yes".

Same, even, for mob-hit-man-yoga. It's never really about the thing- the yadda yadda. Rather, it's about awareness pretending to seek itself - like a dog chasing its tale - via whatever vehicle.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jul 17 2013 8:41:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  1:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim and His Karma....very nice post!
Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  10:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes! I like this description very much. Awareness alone is the Gurudeva.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000