New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

johnjoe

Ireland
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  05:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit johnjoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked out several TM websites and low and behold there was no mention of a mantra in the various descriptions of the technique, except here:-

http://www.tm.org/news/usa_today.html

I quote: It focuses on transcendental meditation, or TM, the most widely practiced type in the U.S., Glaser says. TM involves sitting with eyes closed, thinking of "a meaningless sound" (mantra) for 20 minutes a day. The aim: a state of "restful alertness devoid of thoughts, emotions and perceptions."
The beauty about AYP is that the universal mantra used ‘IAM’ is for all intents and purposes a meaningless sound, which can have meaning if you want it to!

None of TM’S Mantras are meaning free, they are meaning free on the surface, but each mantra once enlivened through repetition attunes the practitioner to a particular aspect or aspects of Divine energy, please note that I have written the mantras in the exact way that they are pronounced:-

Ing, Im, and EEm: - wakes up the energy of Yoni, basic Shakti.

Ing-ah, Im-ah, and EEm-ah: - are a combination of Yoni and Brahma

I-ing and I-im: - wakes up the energy of Creativity, Knowledge, and intelligence, eloquence, personified by the Goddess Sarasvati.

I-ing-ah and I-eem-ah: - wakes up the energy of Creativity, Knowledge, intelligence, eloquence, personified by the Goddess Sarasvati, in combination with Brahma.

Shear-ing and Shear-im for Lakshmi the Goddess of Wealth. Career development, gaining wealth to support a family, typically given for ages 18 to 32, when an individual is working

Hi-ring, Heh-rem, and Hi-rim for Bhuvaneswari, or Mahamaya. Parenting, transmission of values and wisdom to the next generation, typically given to parents, ages 25 to 40

Ki-ring,and Ki-rim for Kalika [goddess of fulfillment of desires, destroyer of obstacles] Integration of the experiences of life, fulfillment of remaining personal aspirations and desires, given for middle age and above when the children are grown, as early as age 40

She-am, and she-ah-ma for Krishna [the god of love, the all-attractive one] Attraction of a life mate, may be typically given at any age from 18 to 36, when issues of loneliness or being single are paramount for the individual

I meditated for years with the mantra ‘i-ing’ twice daily, after about a year I noticed that I had developed a huge thirst for knowledge, and that learning became much easier, together with enhanced communication skills.Many years later I discovered that my mantra was a Sarasvati Bija.

Unlike most bija mantras, TM mantras are not monosyllabic; I believe that this was done deliberately to dilute the power of the bija to allow a time release effect.

When it comes to meditation, TM chose to present their mantras as
meaningless, where in fact they are not.

AYP is completely transparent presenting a technique with the mantra IAM just as a focal point during effortless meditation.

This gives each meditator an interesting choice, they can either meditate with IAM for the benefits of deep meditation, or they can meditate with a bija or longer mantra for a multifold purpose.

Namaste,

John Joe

Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  1:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Glagbo,JohnJoe,
I don't believe that the Maharishi's guru was a siddha and gave shaktipat. The information I have been given is that the Maharishi has awakened his Kundalini the hard way with intense practices which has obviously meant a massive commitment.When one has the benefit of an enlightened siddha's energies then the progress is quicker.
You may liken the intiation to Reiki when given remotely but it is by sankalpa and a sending of the energy although Reiki attunements can also be given without symbols and by intent.When given by my sadguru he presses the energy into several points on the body.
L&L
Dave

Edited by - riptiz on Oct 21 2007 5:13:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

glagbo

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  3:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit glagbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by riptiz

I don't believe that the Maharishi's guru was a siddha and gave shaktipat. The information I have been given is that the Maharishi has awakened his Kundalini the hard way with intense practices which has obviously meant a massive commitment.When one has the benefit of an enlightened siddha's energies then the progress is quicker.
You may like the intiation to Reiki when given remotely but it is by sankalpa and a sending of the energy although Reiki attunements can also be given without symbols and by intent.When given by my sadguru he presses the energy into several points on the body.

Dave, thank you for the clarification.

For the while, I mistook your statement for a suggestion that a round of Shaktipat and a few resultant experiences were more satisfactory to you than the yogic accomplishments of someone like Maharishi, albeit achieved the "hard way".

To quote Yogani on the mostly unrealized promises of fast-tract approaches "It takes whatever it takes, for as long as it takes."

Peace,

Glagbo.

Edited by - glagbo on Oct 29 2007 11:54:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

johnjoe

Ireland
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  1:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit johnjoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dave,

When you say the following:-
'but you can also get further progress by chanting as fast as possible silently during sitting practice.This creates immense energy for purification although you may need to self pace.'

Do you mean thinking the mantra, or whispering it?

Namaste,

John Joe
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  5:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JohnJoe,
Chanting the mantra mentally as fast as possible creates purification.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  7:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

It can be good to clarify here that when we talk about controlling the speed of the mantra, making it faster etc., we are not referring to AYP deep meditation, where we let the mantra have its own speed, clarity etc. And, the AYP mantra I AM is repeated mentally in the mind, not chanted, or pronounced outwardly.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  11:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Weaver,
Yes I am not talking about AYP meditation, in fact I am not talking about meditation, I am talking about japa.The mantra is repeated in the mind as fast as possible with eyes open or closed.I do not know of any other systems that use this method but it is a valid and very effective method.Possibly Yogani has not experienced this method before or tried it's effect or simply believes it is too effective to be used safely in his teachings.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

johnjoe

Ireland
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  2:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit johnjoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave,

I presume that this method can be used for a long mantra,or a bija mantra?
See this link where Paul Russil talks about Mantras.

http://books.google.com/books?id=78...mCo#PPA96,M1

Namaste,

John Joe
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  3:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  3:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JohnJoe,
Yes, You can use this method for any mantra.The Butta Shuddi mantra my sadguru gave me in 2005 is a purification mantra and takes me 20 seconds to chant once when used as fast as possible mentally.It is longer than the Gayatri mantra and is very powerful, simply saying it twice mentally makes my head buzz with energy.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

johnjoe

Ireland
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  4:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit johnjoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!

Thanks Dave.

L&L

John Joe
Go to Top of Page

johnjoe

Ireland
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  11:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit johnjoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
F.A.O riptiz and Gnosis,

Hi Dave and Gnosis

Your advice please.

I find when I’m doing Japa with 'Om Gum Shrim Maha Lakshmiyei Swaha!'
I chant along at the same kind of rhythm that Thomas Ashley-Farrand does on his audios, but when I’m meditating internally and effortless with this mantra, it tends to change and go at its own rhythm. Is that okay, or must you concentrate, and try to keep it the same all the time?

Namaste,

John Joe
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  1:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JohnJoe,
The pronunciation is the important thing.Pace can change and you can lose the mantra, when I do I chant it in a whisper for a few seconds to get back on track.If you can manage japa with eyes closed you will find greater effect.Unfortunately I fall into samadhi very quickly with eyes closed.LOL
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  2:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by riptiz

Hi JohnJoe,
I can give you initiation if you wish, please email for further details including a recording with correct pronunciation.A
L&L
Dave

Hi Dave,

What do you do when you give initiation over email?
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  3:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gentlep,
The initiation is not by email, only the notification.The initiaton is given by sankalpa by an energetic connection similar to a Reiki distant attunement.This gives connection to the gurus energy making the mantra more effective.This is mine and my students experience.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

johnjoe

Ireland
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  4:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit johnjoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Question for Riptiz

Hi Dave,

Can you initiate someone to any mantra,or just to mantras from your Guru?

Namaste,

John Joe
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  4:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JohnJoe,
I don't believe it is possible to initiate to any mantra unless one has siddhi of mantras.This would take one of extremely high levels of development IMHO.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

johnjoe

Ireland
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  3:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit johnjoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I’m going to ask a silly question, but that seems to be the only way to learn!

Is there a reason why most people chant a long mantra like Om Gum Ganapatayei Namaha, or Om Shrim Mahalakshmiyei Swaha, rather than just chanting the bija mantras Gum or shreem?

Are the bijas on there own too strong?

Namaste,

John Joe

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000