Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Burning sensation in Shoulder blade
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  3:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I am having a burning kind of sensation in my back near the shoulder blade whenever I meditate. I didnt observe it but it has started 2 and half years back when I first started meditating. I used to think it was because of something on my bed (radium or some chemical) that I slept on.

These days I can clearly observe a growing burning sensation when I meditate. Even during normal daytime it occurs sometimes. Has anybody else experienced this? Please let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks,
Near

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  4:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Might be postural.

Is this only when meditating, or whenever simply sitting in meditation posture?
If the latter, how is it when sitting normally, with hands resting?
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  4:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

It is not a muscle pain. It is a burning kind of sensation of the skin on shoulder blade. I am sure it is not due to posture. Sometimes when I stop repeating the mantra it reduces

-Near
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  11:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it a burning sensation, or kind of a minty cool-hot Bengay-like sensation?
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  11:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
no minty cool, it burns.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  11:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that is your awareness running through certain parts of the body. Unless it is something more serious, it is just conductivity burrowing its way through the body. I've felt that minty cool feeling just about everywhere it is possible to feel. The nervous system is like a glove for awareness, and it moves everywhere. Sometimes heat or warmth is the feeling you get when your chi is activating a certain part of your nervous system in order for it to feel or know.

If you put your awareness on your forehead the same effect should occur.

Also, there are some times where the heat is more noticeable. The shoulder blades, forehead, perineum, or any there place where there is a dense structure of nerves or meridian flow will probably create similar symptoms.

Just observe over time and if necessary do some self pacing until the symptoms subside. Otherwise, get used to those kinds of sensations.

Edited by - Kyman on Oct 15 2007 12:14:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  12:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near,
I have a spot on my right shoulder blade that has this burning sensation during meditation. Not during every meditation... and not through the entire meditation.. but I know what you mean by a burning sensation. It used to be much more intense.. but has reduced a lot lately. I am not sure why it happens.. but it will reduce and hopefully go away. This is the same spot where I had once felt intense pain.. like someone stabbed me http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...._ID=982#6519
I think its purification and will go away sooner or later. Hopefully sooner :).
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  1:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get my burning/cool sensation on my left trapezius and neck like clockwork every time, or at least 4/5 times. It only occurs when I get deep in the mantra. I will find myself drifting off into thoughts, bring myself back to the mantra and it will feel like a rather powerful plunge into the mantra (at least for me) and the burning will begin. It usually isn't painful (feel nice I suppose, like a buzzing heat, cool bengay) but today it was painful. It increased to somewhat of a dull pain through my arm as if it were asleep. I stretched it a bit and it died down. What's the deal!
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  3:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the coolness is the air around you, and the warmth is the inner body. When energy moves through the body, the nervous system is activated and it detects or feels. So you might not be trying to feel your shoulder blades, but your nerves do so anyway when energy flows through those branches in the nervous system.

For the most part I think this is what happens when we have strange sensations without trying to. The nervous system takes readings when it is activated with chi, and the chi relaxes that area of the body. If the body relaxes to the point of the nerve going to sleep, you could create numbness. Or you might have just been so relaxed by the energy that you came to rest in a position that blocks proper flow in the body.

The energy can light up any region of the body, making you feel it in the form of warm, cool, high pressure, or low pressure. The entire spine can feel lit up with all kinds of sensation within and around it. The body is like a mirror, and sensations that come up are like reflections. They give you reference to where you mirror is, what its state is. If it is painful, the body might be telling you to change position or self pace, otherwise most of these experiences are par for the course.

Edited by - Kyman on Oct 15 2007 4:00:22 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000