Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Insomnia and Self Pacing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  6:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Friends,

I have had problems with sleeping for many years now. I have a question with regard to AYP and self pacing practices. Most nights I wake up between 1 and 3 a.m. and can't go back to sleep for one or two hours.

My mind is usually actively thinking about my life situation. I have had to take in my granddaughters due to continuing family problems. This has been pretty disruptive with a new teenage crisis every other day. I usually end up worrying about the most recent problem but it is not good thinking, more like anxiety and ruminating.

In an attempt to settle my mind down I have tried to do various techniques like body scanning for relaxation. I just learned about the Cosmic Samyama and tried this a few times. I also do some self inquiry or just try to be present with What Is. One practice I have learned from elsewhere is holding very still for about 20 minutes and then some symptoms of sleep come. Sometimes this works and sometimes not. Rarely I can have an out of body experience from this but I am not aiming for this just found that it works to help me sleep. I actually learned this technique from an OOB web site.

My question is this. Two hours a night is a lot of stuff on top of my regular practice. I don't meditate or do any pranayama during this time but being in the middle of the night it may take on a meditative quality. I really want to be sleeping instead. Sometimes I feel desparate because I really need to get my rest.

My sleep in general has really improved with AYP especially in the last couple of months unless I overdo it and then I am wide awake for hours after sleeping only one hour. In general I feel pretty good these days. I have even slept clear through the night 3 times in the last month or so in spite of all the above.

Any comments will be most welcome.

Thanks and Namaste,
Jill

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill,

Eckhart Tolle had a method in one of his books that really helped me with sleeping and falling asleep in general.

You start by putting your awareness for 15 to 30 seconds in one of your feet, be aware of every detail, all toes, etc. then do the other foot. Progress to the calves, then knees, thighs, pelvis, abdomen/ lower-back, chest/ upper back, shoulders, neck, upper arms, forearms and finally hands and fingers. I never make it all the way before sleep takes over. Give it a try, maybe it will work for you too?

All the best,

A

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  09:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill,

There are loads of great tips in this thread.. cure for insomnia? . See if you can find something that helps you.
I would follow a techniques taught to us in the Silva's Mind Control course. A slightly modified version of it is described by David here.. http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1264#8607
The other thing that made a difference was not eating or drinking anything with high sugar and/or caffeine in the evening.

Wishing you a good night's sleep tonight:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000