Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Witness, Inner Silence and Mindfulness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  9:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone done a comparison of these states? (Witness, Inner Silence and Mindfulness) Are they somewhat synonomous? I think they are but wonder if various schools of yoga/meditation create artificial distinctions.

Thanks for any input.

Jill

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  12:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they are the same and the most important thing in spirituality.
To stop the mind which cannot be stopped: so dont try that.Better way is not take your mind too serious any longer (makes you sad, depressed). More and more you are in front of stupid thoughts : you see when they try to enter your mind and do their same thing over and over again. So here you can stop a thought from entering and occupying your mind without fight.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2007 :  11:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jillatay and thimus

My experience, and that's all I have to go on, is that "mindfulness" and the "witness" are not necessarily the same.

The practice of mindfulness can be experienced at different levels of awareness. The simple procedure of bringing the minds attention to each thing we do or see or feel etc, is mindfulness. This can be practiced without being in the witness state and often is for a long time before a practitioner will develop some sort of feel for witness.

I suppose it depends what one calls the "witness". To me it is a shift in awareness where experiences that would have previously triggered an "over the top" emotional response, just seems to pass over us and not affect our equilibrium. It is not that we have become unaware of the emotion, it is more like we observe it for what it is but still maintain our peace.
Since mindfulness is a Buddhist term, the other Buddhist term of equanimity is how I would describe the witness state.

But that's just my view, my 2 cents, as they say.
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  1:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi sparkle: you are right : mindfulness is the beginning and the silent witness the end : a long (hopefully shorter) way between the two.
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  8:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So what is the difference between the practice of mindfulness and the practice of meditation? Also, what is the difference in the results of these 2 practices?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000