Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 kundalini & aches
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  07:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yet another kundalini question... I've got a lot of energy moving around in my body these days. I've also got a dull ache across my lower back that comes and goes in waves. It's pretty uncomfortable, but it generally passes fairly quickly, so the discomfort is short-lived. For you women, it's the same intense lower back pain that we experience during menstrual cramps. I'm wondering if this is a foreboding of the full on, up-the-spine kundalini experience. I've had energy experiences for years, but haven't had that yet. Does anyone know, or has anyone experienced the ache that I'm talking about in connection with kundalini? I also have some heat at various points, but nothing unmanageable. I'm fine just leaving it alone, but, assuming that this is kundalini, does anyone have any suggestions toward helping it move?

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had similar sensations in that low back area, and I thought it was my kidneys as the energy passed through that region. That's what comes to mind when I recall the stranger of sensations.

The ache sounds normal. At first they are rare and distracting but soon you feel it everywhere through your body. Feeling these movements through the heart was one of the scariest moments in my practice, but as alarming as it was it has become common place. And most of my aches or dramatic experiences have softened into a subtle but potent experience. They have the same affects on my mind and body but have smoothed out.

If you feel it more and more and it becomes comfortable, there might be more activity in the region or desire to stretch and open it up. That has been the case with me.

I would try laying on your back with your legs spread apart. Go into stillness and feel that region. When this region opened up I would have a lot of symptoms as energy started moving my hips. It would cause me to squeeze my abs and arch my back in a very smooth roll, signature of the flows within. It is very palpable. If I had persisted, I would have easily induced an orgasm with nothing more than moving my hips.

This is one way to explore that region, but as we all know it must be weighed against our current schedule of practices.

You are talking about outside of meditation periods? If you a full on spinal experience then you might start feeling it more and more outside of meditation periods, till it is constant. Or constantly accessible.

Edited by - Kyman on Sep 03 2007 1:40:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  3:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meg, is it around the kidneys? If you're not sure where kidneys are (most people aren't), it's easy to get someone to show you...and to poke you there. if the kidneys are sore, you'll know it. And if so, you should read my long posting in the "grounding" thread.

If it's not at kidneys, the best advice is something you probably won't heed (I sure didn't): leave the energy alone and just keep practicing. It's not a great idea to fool around with inner energy stuff outside of practice. I mean, you can do it, but you're "off the trail" so to speak. And whereas the AYP trail is relatively safe, all bets are off if you start fooling around.

I fooled around plenty, myself, and took some consequences for it, but many years of intense asana work also gave me a really keen intuition and awareness about energetic body flow that most people don't have.

Finally, something I just read says it really well: kundalini awakening is a mixed bag. Yep, that's right. It's not something to push or strain for. It'll come when it comes, let it do its thing without encouragement. Remember that cultivation of silence is a LOT more important than cultivation of energy (and kundalini). As someone with tons and tons of the latter and who's having trouble keeping up a balance re: the former, I know whereof I speak...

Hope that helps...

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Sep 03 2007 3:35:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  9:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those suggestions, which were really helpful. Kyman, I tried laying on the floor as you suggested but didn't get much drama. No arousal whatsoever. :( Yes, the aches come and go throughout the day, and have nothing to do with my meditation time. Jim, thanks for the suggestion. It's lower than the kidneys - I realize now that it's actually focused at the base of the spine, and generates out from there. Really unpleasant..I definitely am forced to stop whatever I'm doing until it goes away. I'm a little confused about something now: why do you differentiate between energy and kundalini (in your last paragraph?) Is the energy that I feel in my body, the surges and so on, not kundalini? Is that different than that which will at some point travel up the spine? Is the difference just a matter of degree? I've assumed that what I feel is in fact kundalini energy. It's a small point, but clarification would be appreciated. Thanks again, to both of you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  10:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg
I'm a little confused about something now: why do you differentiate between energy and kundalini (in your last paragraph?)

Sorry, wrote fast, wasn't clear. The word "and" was mistaken. I meant to say Remember that cultivation of silence is a LOT more important than cultivation of energy/kundalini.

As to whether this specific phenomenon is kundalini or not, my feeling is it doesn't matter. it's just labels.

I'm unsure what's happening here. None of this stuff should be painful. I'd see a doctor, but use my technique of hightailing it out of the office as soon as you see a baffled look on the doctor's face. Baffled doctor indicates spiritual condition. There's nothing spiritual well-explained by medicine and nothing medical well-explained by spirit. The point where one gets hazy, is the point where the other gets clear. I realize that's a REAL controversial statement, and there surely are exceptions, but it works for me generally.

Really, get this one checked ASAP, I think (and, to be safe, maybe ratchet back either the last practice you added or just in general). Please keep us posted, especially if something changes.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Sep 03 2007 10:17:33 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000