Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 ~~~~~Weird sensations~~~~~
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  2:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to share an experience that keeps reoccuring during meditation. I find that 25-50% of the time about what I guess is 10-15 mins into DM I start to experience a feeling on my left side up near my collar-bones and my shoulder and up the left side of my neck. it feels like a nice warm feeling...but like someone just rubbed Bengay on me. It lasts a minute or so and then fades away. I thought it interesting that occurs only on my left.

Speaking of left, I also notice something interesting about the mantra. When I am saying or thinking the mantra with closed eyes during DM, I notice it always seems to be "coming from" my upp front left side of my head. Like, it seems to have a placement in the nothingness. I found that interesting because the left side of the brain is responsible for speaking and words. I have heard of people who can learn to pinpoint certain parts of the brain such as the amygdala (sp?).

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  3:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some things to try:

If you sit in an assymetrical way (e.g. crossed legs), cross the other way for a while (then, when the assymetry stops, use alternate sides in alternate sessions).

Pay attention in spinal breathing to the right side. Not in terms of "trying to make something happen" on the right, but just put a little more attention into the right side of your spine as you go up and down.

I can't remember if you practice asana or not, but if you do, I'd strongly suggest spinal twists, which can help even out assymetry issues.

Walking.

How long has this been happening? It's normal for different body parts to energize and open up at different rates. But if one side predominates for a long period of time, it's of concern. If the above don't work and weeks/months go by and the assymetry grows more dramatic, you may want to try accupuncture or reiki. Tai chi is always a good thing, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000