Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 I AM GOD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eddy

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  2:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Last night i woke up really late at night and i started doing the who am I? thing. Then i just started using the mantra I AM GOD. It seemed to do the same thing that the I AM mantra does except with God at the end it kind of made it more powerful, seemingly.

So what do you think happens to you when you do a mantra like this? Either the I AM or I AM GOD like i did it? For me it seems to cut off extraneous thoughts with both of them and with the I AM GOD it's kind of like i'm taking my previous notions of GOd and recondtioning them to synchronize with my apparent sense of self. SOmething like that.
I'd like to know what people think happens when you do mantra meditations.
thanks
Namaste

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
from my understanding, the mantra should not be used for its word meaning. I AM should not be seen as meaning "I am____" but rather the vibrational sounds of it..."ayam".
Go to Top of Page

Eddy

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  5:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
so he says
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well, i dont know what that is supposed to mean...

i'm just saying, according to Yogani's technique, I AM is simply to be heard as pure sound. that is why it spans languages and could just as effectively be used by someone who does not understand the english language because I AM is not english, it is simply a means to direct attention inward and it is not meant to be an object of contemplation.
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthony, you are describing the AYP deep meditation completely correct as Yogani teaches it, and in the long run it will purify the nervous system and manifest permanent inner silence that is beyond all expressions of the mind. This permanent inner silence will be the foundation for the unfoldment of our divine nature, and oneness with God.

What Eddy talks about in his first post is not in conflict with this. He is describing an experience during a specific meditation session, and we know that experiences are not a reliable indication for what the meditation really does under the surface or how efficient it is. However, if one is doing meditation for the purpose of for example experiencing sense of oneness with God, or sense of self during the meditation itself, and focusing on this experience, then what Eddy was doing is perfectly valid. We just need to be aware that this is another type of meditation than AYP deep meditation.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  6:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddy,

I think anthem turned me on to this lesson and it really helped me to understand the mantra's place in AYP:

http://www.aypsite.org/188.html

Hope that helps, yb.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  07:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddy:

It may be helpful to think in terms of the relationship between deep meditation and samyama. Meditation is about cultivating stillness beyond meaning. This is why we do not use meaning associated with the mantra in deep meditation -- much more refined than meanings that are conjured up in the mind. Samyama is about initiating meaning in stillness and allowing that to express outwardly via the natural flow of stillness into action, which we come to recognize in time as ongoing ecstatic bliss and outpouring divine love. Cultivating stillness consistently over time is the prerequisite for this process, and for all progress in yoga.

Stillness first, and meaning initiated and overflowing from within after that. Not the other way around.

"Seek first the kingdom of heaven, and all will be added to you."

There is nothing wrong with your divine desire. It is only a matter of manifesting it effectively over the long term. It will not happen by following the wanderings of the mind, which change from week to week and month to month. Something systematic needs to be in place to illuminate the mind from within. That is daily deep meditation, consistently taking us beyond the vagaries of the mind each day. In time, it adds up to abiding inner silence. And then we have it -- the whole ball of wax.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  07:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I agree with Weaver and Yogani. But in the absolute sense isn't everything GOD or Brahman? I thought IAM implicitly means IAM Brahman.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  1:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
IAM just means AYAM or EYEAHM...its just a sound
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  6:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ajna,

It says in Exodus 3:14 (King James Version):

"And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

Even with this being the case, the I AM deep meditation is of course performed without implicit meaning as we know. However, there might be a deeper reason why the I AM mantra works as it does.
Go to Top of Page

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  08:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by weaver

Hi Ajna,

It says in Exodus 3:14 (King James Version):

"And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

Even with this being the case, the I AM deep meditation is of course performed without implicit meaning as we know. However, there might be a deeper reason why the I AM mantra works as it does.

Hi Weaver, Anthony

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  5:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried the sri om ayam nahmah sequence, holy cow. Before I was trying to do the mantra, now I'm just putting the energy in the top region of the spine and letting it fall down. As it falls the most beautiful sound I have ever uttered in my entire life comes out. I'm beside myself over this. I'm used to have a small and shallow voice, not a harmonious bellowing voice.

Before I was mainly doing the om, but adding these sequences felt like a total completion.

Is there a sequence or mantra that takes the energy back up?

Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  6:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

I tried the sri om ayam nahmah sequence, holy cow. Before I was trying to do the mantra, now I'm just putting the energy in the top region of the spine and letting it fall down. As it falls the most beautiful sound I have ever uttered in my entire life comes out. I'm beside myself over this. I'm used to have a small and shallow voice, not a harmonious bellowing voice.

Before I was mainly doing the om, but adding these sequences felt like a total completion.

Is there a sequence or mantra that takes the energy back up?

Hi Kyman,

Not sure if you were shortening the mantra for expediency, but the mantra is supposed to be:

SHREE OM SHREE OM I AM I AM NAMAH

...as indicated in the lesson 186 which can be found here:

http://www.aypsite.org/186.html

I believe that it is written somewhere in the lessons that the "namah" part of the mantra brings the energies back into the heart, though I can't remember where.

A

Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  10:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely would NOT want to shorten it. :)

And thank you for clarifying, it would've have been better to spell it out appropriately for the other members.

It definitely feels like it is in the heart. Should I be intentionally deepening my voice to make the lowest sound my throat can make at the end? When I follow the energy down into the gut that is the sound I make, but I can feel it in the heart like you are saying.

Thanks, Anthem. :)

Edited by - Kyman on Aug 27 2007 10:49:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  10:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kyman

I might not even be doing it right, should I be intentionally deepening my voice to make the lowest sound my throat can make at the end? When I follow the energy down into the gut that is the sound I make, but I can feel it in the heart like you are saying.

Thanks, Anthem. :)

Hi Kyman,

Not sure if I am misunderstanding from your post, but if you are practicing using the AYP system, then the mantra isn't meant to be intoned out loud. It's meant to be intoned internally as outlined beautifully in this lesson by Yogani:

http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

Hope this helps,

A

Edited by - Anthem on Aug 27 2007 10:46:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  11:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I did not realize. Thank you for pointing that out. The om mantra done out loud has been my main practice so far, aside from playfully exploring the vocal range. Now that my experience with mantra is starting to deepen, I'll go back and review the lessons with fresh eyes.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000