Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Back support or no?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  1:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I put this here because it applies to both deep meditation and pranayama.

I noticed in Yogani's teachings that he recommends quite a few times to use back support during sitting practices. I developed the habit of just sitting on a nice pillow and found it after a while to be quite comfortable although I do notice sometimes that when the deep meditation is deep I will hunch forward a bit...but even that seems comfortable and a natural position.

I wonder if any of you find a noticable difference when using back support. I used it a couple days ago after work because my back was sore from working and I noticed a slight difference...though I cant really tell what it was, maybe nothing.

I do prefer no back support with pranayama because I notice it tends to allow for greater awareness of the contours of my spine.

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  3:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Almost eight years ago I was struck by two cars, on separate occasions. I had a rhizotomy done to eliminate severe pain in the lower right flank coming from nerve damage. After they were cut I lost feeling in that area, the pain from the nerve damage was mostly gone. However, having to cut into my spine replaced me with a new condition and new set of challenges. At first I had pain medication and an old set of coping mechanisms to deal with this state, which was accompanied by the loss of many physical and mental pursuits my impairment no longer allowed.

Because of severe muscle atrophy in the back, which was clearly visible to the eye, it prevented me from walking or standing for more than a half hour without having to sit down in excruciating pain. This state of suffering and limbo lasted for a couple years, before I fell in love and received the gift of wholeness.

I began meditating in the corpse position immediately after. My earlier kundalini stages were all done in that position. About two years ago the energy compelled me to sit up more. So on and off I began to strengthen my back sitting upright with support. Within the last three or four months I am off any support, but I have many down cycles where my energy is depleted and my body feels like it has been bombed. Tremendous amounts of concentration and rest have been required.

Sitting upright now is timed perfectly with all the activity in that region, which was brought about through deep meditation and pranayama. The spine is exploding with ecstatic sensations unlike ever before.

New muscles are forming, capacities are increasing, I can feel massive energy around my center as gross matters condense. Sitting upright is obviously the best thing one can do for core strength, up and down the spine. I imagine for most people without an injury, there is a very quick transition into sitting upright all the time. If you have pre-existing conditions, include in your practices a layer of perception that is based on the idea of rehabilitation.

I think the body will determine the best position, and sitting with or without support, on pillows, concrete, a chair, all have some leverage gained in them that make them worth exploring for the body.

Edited by - Kyman on Jul 24 2007 3:34:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  07:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The purpose of the lotus position is that you can sit without support or effort and you won't fall over. It creates a small natural curve in your lower back.
In the western world it is not used much because it is difficult to learn.
So many westerners use the buddhist method of a zafu and zabuton cushion for the same effect. The zafu is a hard cushion filled with buckwheat and the zabuton is a big flat cushion fo cotton. You put the zafu in the middle of the bigger cushion, sit on the hard zafu and your knees are lower than your butt, with no weight on them, but supported by the lower cushion. This puts your back in the same position as lotus does, and you don't require back support, and can be comfortable for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  2:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman,

Sorry to read about your misfortune. But it looks like you are snatching victory from what would be the jaws of certain defeat for many people.

More power to you, yb.

P.S. I used to use the zafu and it works real nice. It allows your pelvis to tip forward slightly without having much flexibility, and as etherfish said, this lets you sit comfortably with your head neck and trunk in a straight line. It makes it easy to forget about your body. In daily life, sitting with your knees below your hips is also a great habit to cultivate. It keeps stress out of your spinal column.

Edited by - yogibear on Jul 26 2007 12:20:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  11:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank, yb. I have no regrets. A testament to the practices.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  09:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2007 :  9:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman,

Your courage and positive attitude are an inspiration, thank you for sharing your experiences. I wish you continued healing.

A
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  01:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Anthem.

I'm beside myself at times, hehe, because of the overhaul the kundalini is doing on the spine. What a hoot! And I know you all know what I mean.

I have experienced many extremes, and at a young enough age that I was resilient enough to overcome. Blessings in disguises...

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Edited by - Kyman on Aug 21 2007 02:04:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  7:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am having a problem - I finally found out that lack of propert support cause my to have the back of my shoulder and neck aching,even if I prop 2 pillows behind my back,it still does not give me support for my neck (the neck is arched in). I cant get into a deeper state of pranayama and meditation, any advice on what to use as back support ?
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  9:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you been doing any stretching of that region?

I have been sitting upright but there has been a lot of symptoms of pain and energy. It seems the only way to move past this phase is to stretch many times a day, keeping my body loose and relaxed.

I pop out the chest and tuck my chin down. It causes tremendous stretching throughout the neck, and in my case fantastic relief. Tucking the chin to the chest truly changed the shape of my body. Because I watched a lot of tv as a youth and had low energy, my head always hung down low. By tucking the chin down you stretch you can really open up the neck.

The point where my neck would bend up to look up, instead of resting proportionally on my spine there is a slight bend in the spine and weak point. Tucking the chin down has caused the vertebrae to start popping out at the back of the neck. As I stretch, more vertebrae start to show. As this trend makes its way to the weak spot in my upper spine, I am finding more and more relief, as well as increased function and capacity in the rest of my body.

Something so critical as the neck would offset the rest of the body in some way.

Strong displacements might need to be worked out before you can know what it is like to even sit in proper posture. At least that has been the case with me. But I have had a lot of medical attention and supervision earlier on in my rehabilitation. Now that I know my pace I seem to be making a lot of gains comfortably. But be very cautious, what works for one person might cause a lot of damage in another.

I feel absolutely fantastic about my progress, and highly confident that the culmination of my efforts will amount in a straight spine with strong muscular reinforcement. The momentum of the practice is doing all the work. I just wake up everyday.

Edited by - Kyman on Aug 28 2007 11:58:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  10:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by zzzMonster

even if I prop 2 pillows behind my back,it still does not give me support for my neck (the neck is arched in).

Hi zzzMonster,
when you say the neck is arched in, I take it that your neck droops forward Try positioning the pillows so that you can lean back your neck. Plus if you have just begun doing the pillow thing, it takes a while for the body to find the best comfort level. I'm not sure I got your problem right...
Go to Top of Page

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  03:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have done the pillow things for 3 weeks,but I cant get it to be comfortable. My head touches the pillow,but my neck did not touch
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  10:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What about your lower back? Is it arched in as well?

If the lower back arch the chest can pop out easier, it helps the neck find its place. Here is where the muscles in the neck pull the head forward to balance comfortably on the spine.

As said before, it may take even a couple months for the muscles along the back, stomach, chest, and neck to grow into place.

Where is the pain spot specifically? And when you get pain, do you stretch your arms up or your head back? What do you do that comes naturally to ease the pain when it comes?
Go to Top of Page

zzzMonster

Singapore
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  9:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit zzzMonster's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Now,I am going without back support. If it becomes uncomforatable,I can adjust my posture. Also without back support, I get to see more scenary during meditation and pranayama (always have bliss and ecstasy)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000