Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Strange body sensation whilst meditating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JonJon

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  04:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit JonJon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
During deep meditation this morning I experienced a strange sensation. It felt like my body had expanded, whilst at the same time becoming both heavier and lighter. It was like my skin was actually rubber, and I was being blown up to twice my normal size. Although you would think this would be very distracting, the quality of my meditation remained good. I felt strongly locked in. There was more to the sensation, but it's very hard to describe.

Now, what makes the above experience even stranger is that even though it was the first time I'd had it whilst meditating, it actually felt familiar. Thinking about it, the only other time I could have had this same sensation is during sleep, presumably in some sort of dream state. I was very far from being asleep during meditation, however.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  07:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JonJon. Welcome to AYP. Your description is very good. I've experienced very similar sensations, a combination of extreme density, feathery lightness, and rubbery expansion. I suggest reading about savikalpa samadhi. You can do a search on this site, or Google it. You'll find that the descriptions vary considerably, as it appears to be experienced differently by everyone. I think it's also the case that many of the people who write about it have never experienced it, and so are just theorizing and attempting to rationalize the phenomenon. Best to just enjoy it and let it take you inward. :)
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  07:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Energy experiences may come in numberless ways and will occur during and between meditations. It sounds like you had a very nice experience. I have several kinds of experiences in and out of meditation. They come and go, and are nothing to do about, but to enjoy if they are pleasant, and self-pace if they become too many and unpleasant.

The expanding feeling is familiar to me. The body expands in all directions. That is actually also an exercise we do at my qi gong class - makes you certain that you really have no limits. The body can feel light, heavy or not be felt at all eventually.

Edited by - emc on Jul 13 2007 07:50:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

JonJon

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  1:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit JonJon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the pointers! I'm looking forward to my next meditation session to see if it happens again...
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  1:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JonJon

Thanks for the pointers! I'm looking forward to my next meditation session to see if it happens again...

... and if it does not.. don't look for it...

This is what we call scenery in AYP.. when it happens, enjoy it but don't expect it.

All the best.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  3:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with Meg that this is a good thing, but disagreed that you ought to read up. Just let it all happen. or not happen. sometimes other good things happen. Let the cosmic barber trim your hair, and try to stay out of it.
Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  04:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just about to ask this topic...

I have noticed some vibrations in the body sometimes during my meditation.It seems that the body shakes from inside.Last year I was giving more time to meditation practices and this experience was much repeated..But this year I gave more attention to diets and controlled my tounge to a great extent..Though sometimes I give some freedom to my tounge too.. Are these vibrations some indication of the purification of nervous system?? Though I don't practice intense meditation and pranayam,but my diet is highly restricted and sattvic for the last 10 months.Is it a positive indication for me?
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  06:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is an indication of purification of the nervous system. The vibrations comes from imbalances in the energies. Once you're balanced the vibrations will diminish, only to come back when new unbalances occur, which I have found that they do frequently. I can wake up at night from strong vibrations beginning in my root chakra, filling the whole body accompanied by a sound of a motor going that sometimes turns into a more clear, beautiful AUM.

It is a positive indication showing that energies are awakening and cleaning the house for you, but be aware of the magnitude. If you get symptoms of irritation, anger, depression, restlessness etc, it might also be a sign of a beginning overload of energies and that you need to self-pace.

Enjoy those vibes!

Edited by - emc on Jul 15 2007 06:50:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

salvation

19 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  11:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit salvation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc
thanks for your reply.I feel that I was never so quiet & peaceful ever before.I have more control over the anger,passion,depression now..
I have noticed that the efficiency of my body has increased.I feel energetic even though I work for hours sitting on computer without having much fatigue or tiredness.May be I have already experienced the negative effects and now the positive have started to come.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000